• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jono1798

jono1798

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Fishing. cycling. golf. wing chun. tinkering in the garage on just about anything. Movies. My Aussie cattle dog "chopper" and now hunting

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

I plan on hunting the likes of grizzly island and anywhere around the bay area for duck and maybe geese. What kind of chest waders would you folks suggest? 3mm or 5mm neoprene or the breathable type. I've been looking at the Cabela's Ultimate waders, the ll bean west branch , and the Cabelas first flight breathables.The LL bean aren't camo, is that a drawback? However, they do have a great return policy

#2 fireboy

fireboy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:NRA Life member, Predator hunting mostly, fishing, reloading, woodworking, and computers using Linux among others.

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

jono1798I'm look for waders also, I hope you get a ton of answers!

#3 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Interests:About average for everybody else in here.

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:27 AM

If you go with neoprene you might as well get 5mm instead of 3mm, a little warmer and tougher to boot. I've only owned one pair of breathable waders and though many people swear by them I just wasn't impressed. Using them in the heat of Summer they were lighter than neoprene and a little cooler but I still sweated enough that it didn't make any difference. I used them for flyfishing, when climbing back into the river to cross etc they insulated very little, hence I was cold in the water and hot when out of the water. They also did not stand up well to the climbing over rocks and bushwhacking along the rivers edge and I tossed them after 2 years of suffering. Granted these were the Cabelas dry plus? breathables and certainly not Simms G3's so mileage my vary.I am a die hard fan of the Cabelas 5mm guide weight waders. They just take a beating and keep coming back for more and are priced right. My current pair (think this is the 3rd) I've had 5 years or better and still no leaks

#4 jono1798

jono1798

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Fishing. cycling. golf. wing chun. tinkering in the garage on just about anything. Movies. My Aussie cattle dog "chopper" and now hunting

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:02 AM

Cheers Microtus. That's one point for the 5mm neoprene

#5 andy1621

andy1621

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Retired-Catching up on life (Hunting, Rv'ing, Friends, Family & an occasional BEER!)

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:42 PM

For me, neoprene was usually too warm (5mm) and "bulky" feeling for the valley where I hunt. I found the Dry-Plus with the thinsulate boots (I hate cold feet) more versatile. On really cold days I'll wear light weight thermals underneath if needed. Good waders can be a substantial investment that should last you for many years. You can try them on at the store, but the best thing to do is borrow some from a buddy to try out in the field if you can. Good luck!

#6 fishandhunt4ever

fishandhunt4ever

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:I really love hunting and fishing. I am looking forward to making friends from this web community and share information that can be helpful.

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:02 AM

If you are on a budget, go to http://www.walmart.c...o..._Bb_Bk&ref=I bought a pair this and they are working out ok. You have them delivered site to store, and there is not charge for shipping. The shoe size runs a little big and I wish I went with a size 10 instead of a 11. Personally I would rather go with a snug fit than a loose fit for waders.

#7 BearWhoHunts

BearWhoHunts

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I am into foraging of all kinds. Hunting for game is just one aspect. Every time I am out in the back country I am looking for edible, useful and medicinal flora and fauna. I am also constantly working on survival skills. Hunted as a boy for squirrel, rabbit and some upland birds. I am a farmer by trade and I work for an organic farm founded on ethical work practices.

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:20 PM

I just bought some waders for a little bit of water fowl and a whole lot of fishing about two weeks ago from Cabelas. They are having a pretty good sale on the whole lot of waders over there. I got some reversible brown and camo ones for $70ish to the door. Check it out.I originally got the XL's and when I tried them on they were really baggy even with layers so I sent it back for the Large. I am 6' 210. Just FYI.

#8 Bobcat

Bobcat

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

One thing to consider is how they attach over the shoulder some have a buckle that might be where your gun shoulders. A stout 12 gauge load recoiling on that buckle doesn't feel to good.

#9 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:18 PM

Once I got my first pair of breathables I swore I'd never own another set of neoprenes. For me neoprenes have two comfort levels, sweat and freeze. Now I only use loose fitting breathables and layer my clothing accordingly. I've had very good luck with the cabelas brand. I have three full seasons on my waist high set, and I just got a chest high set. I would recommend the cheaper set over the more expensive set of cables breathables. I got the more expensive ones but I don't like the neoprene cross section of the straps. It rubs the back of my neck more than I like. The convertibles could be the way to go if you hunt shallow water some of the time.And no, the camo doesn't matter. If you can get any waders in solid brown or drab green you should be just fine.

#10 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

All that I can add is... If yer getting some for reading posts here "Especially Mine" Better go for the Neck high Models" :smiley_green_with_envy:

#11 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

Yes sireeee, it does get kinda deep here at times..... :smiley_green_with_envy:

#12 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:21 PM

Frank!!! you didnt have to agree so readily! LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users