• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Fishing, hunting, Football, playing backgammon,& music

Founder: Hunters Helping Hunters
    www.huntershelpinghuntersUSA.org
    LM:NAHC

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:09 AM

Commission to Receive Public Comment on Striped Bass in FebruaryNovember 16, 2011 by CA DFG News Leave a Comment Media Contacts: Jordan Traverso,DFGCommunications, (916) 654-9937 The California Fish and Game Commission (Commission) decided today to consider proposed striped bass regulations at their February meeting in Sacramento. Consideration of the proposed regulations was originally scheduled to take place at the Commission meeting in San Diego in December. This decision came after Department of Fish and Game (DFG) Director Charlton H. Bonham requested the change in order to allow interested members of the public residing near the Delta the opportunity to voice their opinions to the Commission. “After the DFG public meeting in the Delta last week, we learned there are many passionate anglers who would like the opportunity to share their views on the draft proposal,” Bonham said. “I think it’s important to hear these views. The discussion is welcome. Moving the public discussion to Sacramento from San Diego will allow these constituents to attend the meeting. It’s the right thing to do.” The proposed draft changes regulations related to anadromous striped bass. The draft language, which is now available at https://nrmsecure.df...ocumentID=39586, would authorize additional harvest of striped bass. The basic proposed changes are as follows: ■Raising the daily bag limit for striped bass from two to six fish. ■Raising the possession limit for striped bass from two to 12 fish. ■Lowering the minimum size for striped bass from 18 to 12 inches. ■Establishing a “hot spot” for striped bass fishing at Clifton Court Forebay and specified adjacent waterways at which the daily bag limit will be 20 fish, the possession limit will be 40 fish and there will be no size limit. Anglers fishing at the hot spot would be required to fill out a report card and deposit it in an iron ranger or similar receptacle. ■Changes to the sport fishing regulations for the Carmel, Pajaro and Salinas Rivers to allow harvest of striped bass when the fishery would otherwise be closed. DFG is also recommending an adaptive management plan that will help assess how the new regulations influence the fishery. The Commissioners will decide whether to pursue the proposed regulations at their February meeting in Sacramento. If they choose to pursue the proposal it begins a process that includes at least three public hearings and the completion of an environmental document. A final decision is not expected until later in 2012.
Sportyg;Founder:HHHwww.hhh-usa.orgLM:NAHCMbr:TRCP

#2 hydehunter

hydehunter

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:hunting and shooting

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

looks like they are trying to get rid of the striped bass since they are not native to this state so glad I will only be here 6 more months

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,780 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:48 PM

I think stripers are here for good . They are being blamed for stuff that the water and electrical companies are doing.(waisting water.)
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#4 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Fishing, hunting, Football, playing backgammon,& music

Founder: Hunters Helping Hunters
    www.huntershelpinghuntersUSA.org
    LM:NAHC

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

They are a great eating fish..
Sportyg;Founder:HHHwww.hhh-usa.orgLM:NAHCMbr:TRCP

#5 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:43 AM

Hope they leave the Stripers alone. I love fishing for them.
  • bigtodd likes this
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#6 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:02 AM

I just wish they would make it legal to spearfish stripers.

#7 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:05 AM

I went to the last meeting in Rio Vista, The information they used to show us that there was an over abundance of stripers, is the same charts, and counts that they used in the past, to tell us that there was a shortage of striped bass. It is all about money for the water contractors, and slightly dishonest politicians.Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#8 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,780 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:33 AM

slightly dishonest politicians ? How can you say that about those good people. Real easy.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,498 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

Yeah no part of honest should be used when speaking about politicians. :smiley_green_with_envy:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#10 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Gold Panning, Beer, Fireball

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:06 AM

Anyone know what the update is on this situation? I like me some Striper for din din..yum, would be sad to see them leave.

#11 Mayhem in Carmichael

Mayhem in Carmichael

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Bowhunting, Fly fishing, camping, Nascar, NFL, Dancing :)

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:04 AM

The proposed regulations that DFG presented to the Fish & Game Commission were rejected by the commission at their meeting on February 6th. However, there is a House bill going around that targets them again -- encourage your legislators to vote against HR1837!Robin EganDirector - Northern CA Council of the Federation of Fly FishersMember - Granite Bay Flycasters

#12 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts
    RETIRED

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

Anyone know what the update is on this situation? I like me some Striper for din din..yum, would be sad to see them leave.

Steph, The objective all started with a law suite. Fish and game commision had to decide if striper limits could be changed to 12", and in some areas changed to no limit of fish. There were petitions, letters, and live visits by several fishing clubs. On the day of the discussion, and vote, Coastside fishing club, CSBA, and several other clubs flooded the capital bldg and showed their support of the striped bass. The fish and game listened to the sportsmen, and voted down the no limit change. So the size, and keep limit remains the same for now. The water contractors will be back with more ways to rape the delta for our water. Tom

#13 Mayhem in Carmichael

Mayhem in Carmichael

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Bowhunting, Fly fishing, camping, Nascar, NFL, Dancing :)

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:55 AM

HR1837 is simply a total water grab via federal legislation, guts ESA management of fisheries, over-rides states rights, and blocks DFG from managing striped bass, or other predators in water holding listed species, will come up for vote in the House next week. The best action we can muster right now is to call your Congress member and register opposition to HR 1837. It's bad for states, bad for many water rights holders (other than area of origin rights), bad for salmon and steelhead, and simply a Congressional over-reach. It also over-rides the ESA protections in the Delta. Call today!

#14 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts
    RETIRED

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

Mayhem is absolutly correct,We all need to write to our elected officals on every proposed bill concerning fish, and delta water. The water contractors have lots of money to fight for water. the minute we let our guard down, they will have our water, and our fish.Tom

#15 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

I really hope this does not happen. I'll definitely research it more and write a letter to congress. It's not fair for the fish and for our delta to be robbed of such a beautiful species.

#16 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts
    RETIRED

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:30 AM

Steph, This worked out for the best, The proposed law failed,and in the process, our striped bass were declaired to be a native species by our director of fish and game commision. TomPS, Steph, the California Striped bass club meets on the seccond Thursday of the month, at driftwood Yacht club. I would be happy to take you and your signifigant other as my guest.Tom

#17 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

Oh cool. Thanks Tom. I'll see what next month looks like. Sounds like it would be a wealth of info for sure. I have a good friend whom I fish with that also might be interested in going. Will keep you posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users