Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

Does anyone use it? Opinions?

#2 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:57 AM

I've looked at it on the iTunes site, but not purchased it yet. Are you talking about the Cabela's Recon Hunt? If so, I might get it. It does look like it might be worth the $4.99 they are asking for it (IMHO).

#3 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

I have the Cabela's Recon in my I-Phone but haven't use it yet. I'll give it a try on our upcoming Texas/Oklahoma hunt a week from now.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#4 keale73

keale73

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:44 PM

It works ok but I would not trust the BLM maps that it uses. It shows some property in an area I work that I know for sure is private. It gives you a good idea of where there is public land but you should buy the BLM or FS maps to be absolutely sure before hunting. I think it works great for checking where you have been while on a hunt but unless you hunt where there is cellular service it is way overpriced. I would not recommend it to any of my friends. It's kind of a cool novelty but not useful while hunting. Just my opinion though.

#5 t o double d

t o double d

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Adventure/Dual Sport/Offroad motorcycling, Ocean fishing from my kayak, camping, anything outdoors.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

Technically you can download maps for use when you're in an area away from cell service, but it takes way too long to download at this time. It tried downloading the Laguna Mountain BLM area and by the next morning it still hadn't finished and I was using wifi. They say they're working on speeding up the process and if they do I think it will be a great app well worth the price, but at this point it isn't worth it for free. YMMV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users