all purpose bird brine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Nacho_Momma_*

Guest_Nacho_Momma_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2006 - 11:16 AM

In honor of T-day, here is a simple brine recipe that works for any type of bird, and my turkey is soaking in it right now!2 gallons water 1 1/2 sea salt 1/3 cup brown sugar 3 tablespoons minced garlic (optional)1 tablespoon ground black pepper (optional)1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce (optional)In a large bucket, or big stainless steel pot, or any container large enough to hold your turkey(or bird of choice) , mix together the water, salt, and brown sugar, then add garlic, pepper, Worcestershire sauce. Store in a refrigerator, and soak turkey for 2 days before smoking or roasting. Soak at least 24 hours, 48 is better, rinse well before cooking.

#2 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:24 AM

Nacho Momma, I use a brine very similar to that but can't help myself adding some Tobasco to it. I brine a lot of chicken for my smoker/BBQ'er and they always come out very juicy and tender. I cook them up all the time for my lunches at work. I like to use a dry rub on them and let sit for a few hours also on some of them before they get the BBQ and smoke treatment. Can't beat a good brine for tender and juicy birds.. If any of you guys haven't tried it, do yourselves a favor and try a basic brine on them birds anyways. Trust me, you wont regret it...Good BBQing and grilling ...Walt

#3 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:08 AM

I'll have to give it a try. I brine soaked a pheasant breast this year for a couple hours before I couldn't wait any longer :lol: I need to come up with some more recipies for skinned birds. I guess I'll try a roasting bag to help keep them moist.

#4 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:14 AM

I just do a basic brine soak 24 hours and it works fine. The other key to cooking turkeys is the cooking position. Tie some string around the bird to hold the wings/legs close to the body. Place the bird on it's SIDE and smother it with melted butter. Bake 15 minutes balanced on it's side. Turn it over and do the other side. You may need to use chopsticks or similar to balance the bird on it's side. Then turn it over and bake the bird breast down for 15 minutes. Careful not to tear the breast skin when turning it. Now cut the string and turn it breast up. Make sure you butter it up every time you turn it. Bake it breast up the remainder of the time, about 45-60 min, adding butter a few times. Use a broiling pan with water/broth and vegitables underneath and make sure it doesn't run dry. Remove from oven and cover with foil. Let it sit 20 minutes before you touch it.That will give you a good looking juicy bird.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users