#1 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:51 PM

I just read the regs on turkeys and apparently DFG is allowing .177 now to be used hunting turkeys. I have been using iron sights but I think I will put a scope on my Crossman spring gun. Any suggestions as to cheap but useful scopes?

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,006 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:52 PM

Any springer rated scope will work. I would suggest a 4-12 at least as you'll need to be as accurate as possible with a .177 cal rifle. I think using that small of a caliber is a bad idea but DFG in their infinite wisdom has decided to do this. Turkeys are tough and you'll need to make a perfect head shot to stop one. Any sort of a body shot and the bird will be gone with no chance of finding it. I hope your gun can shoot one hole groups at 15 yards because that's about the range I'd give a .177 springer on turkey. Maybe turkey are so plentiful in California they're hoping people will wound more and they'll die off. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:32 AM

Tony, I'm in agreement with John on CA fish and game allowing .177 for turkey hunting. I've taken a turkey with my .22cal Disco and even with that I would ony have taken a head shot. All of my airguns that I use for hunting are .22cal or greater and this is for a number of reasons. I have taken game with a .177 but I would have to say that the number of ones that got away after being hit compared to a the number hit with a .22 was enough for me to stop shooting things with my .177cal.As far as scopes go I'm kind of partial to a particular Leapers scope that is a 3-9x40, has an illuminated mil dot reticle, parralex adjustable objective lens and comes with a sunshade. All of this for about 60-70 bucks. I've got 6 of them mounted on my airguns. heres a link. http://www.cheaperth.../SCP548-34.html

#4 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:23 AM

Tony, I would have to agree with ShooterJohn and MackeralBoy too. Using a .177 may be what the CA DFG is allowing now, but it's going to take a perfect head shot to bring it down. I'm going to try this year and I'm taking my .22 Marauder. Even with it I'm going to make sure to aim for the head/brain. As far as a scope. I'm with MackeralBoy on the Leapers scope. Not bad for the buck and I have a 4-16x50 AO IR MD on my .22 Marauder. A CenterPoint Optics scope will work too, however, the clarity will not be quite as good. But for a .177 a CenterPoint Optics 3-9x40 AO MD scope would probably work well and save you a few bucks. I think Wally World carries the CenterPoint Optics scopes. I wish you a successful hunt. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#5 butthead

butthead

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:11 PM

Hawke's are nice, realatively cheap for the quality, and many are springer rated. Remember when it comes to glass you get what you pay for.

#6 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:37 PM

I'd recommend the Hawke as well. I've heard good things about them and you get a good bang for your buck. I have a few Hawke scopes and like them all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users