• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

Why? I didn't take it into consideration until after my purchases, but now I prefer rifles with magazines. Easier to load, can have mulitples loaded with different ammo, much quicker to put the rifle into action.

#2 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:44 PM

I like hinged floorplates better, to be honest. No risk of dropping a magazine in the dirt or mud, or forgetting it at home. And easy to unload. Plus, mags can be expensive. I was going to buy spares for my Tikka T3's until I saw the price.

#3 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:51 PM

Not really needed in my opinion. When hunting Big-game you should ideally only have to fire 1 round. If you have to empty your rifle to bag a Deer, you need to spend more time at the range.
Hic Ego Statio

#4 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:36 AM

My '06 is hinged, my .223 is magazine. For the smaller caliber and varmint hunting, I find it handy.

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

I like hinged floorplates better, to be honest. No risk of dropping a magazine in the dirt or mud, or forgetting it at home. And easy to unload. Plus, mags can be expensive. I was going to buy spares for my Tikka T3's until I saw the price.

Same here 100%. I prefer a hinged floor plate, and like you, I had intended on getting a spare for my Tikka but they cost to dang much.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#6 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:06 PM

I wouldn't consider having only one mag. I have 3.

#7 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

I have both. My CZ has removable mag and I like it...but I'm also used to a hinged floorplate. They both work for me and I really don't favor one or the other.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#8 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

I find the magazine is handy when hop-hunting multiple spots in an area in and out of the vehicle, or when I'm varmint hunting, sometimes I carry two different kinds of ammo depending on what presents itself. I probably wouldn't have gotten my coyote if I'd been trying to cram rounds in the rifle vs. popping the mag in.

#9 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:50 PM

Magazines are quicker to load and unload the rifle but sayng that, my serious hunting guns are floorplate models.My first big game rifle was a magazine type rifle and in 37 years I've never lost or forgotten a magazine for a rifle.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#10 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:16 PM

Im more inclined to go with a removable Mag for ease of loading and unloading in a hurry. Its much quieter IMO when you jump out of the truck, snap it in, and cycle the bolt. "Compared to shoving shells into the rifle one at a time first" I use both, but prefer the RM.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#11 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:25 AM

I converted both my remington 22-250 and my 243 to clips just because it allows me to go ranch to ranch somewhat legal. h-s makes a nice one, but pricey.

#12 jdogg

jdogg

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:39 AM

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: My BAR Short trac has hinge plate and mag. :signs1180lq:

#13 204destroyer

204destroyer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

I'm not sure what gun your shooting but I use to love magazines, but after playing around with bullet length and all I prefer the hinged floor plate so you can pull the bullet out of the case and find your sweet spot. With the magazines you cant pull it out or it wont go in the magazine. Just my thought.

#14 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:59 AM

;) My BAR Short trac has hinge plate and mag. ;)

I have a BAR I really like except for the fliers it throws, and I cannot STAND the mag/floor plate thing - low capacity and a pain to use. I'm looking to get an M1A1 NM just because of those two shortcomings in the BAR.

#15 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

With the magazines you cant pull it out or it wont go in the magazine. Just my thought.

Same thing applies to a floorplate and box.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#16 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

I have both. No real preference. However any with a mag I have at least 2 spares, including my 2 Tikka's. Same goes with pistols a min of 2 extra mags or speedloaders for the double action rev's.The only bad thing is trying to not loose track which fits what!!!

#17 204destroyer

204destroyer

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

Same thing applies to a floorplate and box.

I have the remington sendero with floor plate and box no problem pulling the bullet way out into the lands.

#18 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

Detachable box magazine vs. internal box magazine (either blind or hinged floor plate) comes down to personal preference if the critters you are hunting walk on more than two legs and don't shoot back. All the advantages of a detachable box magazine really only help you if you are throwing a lot of lead and (don't have the luxury of reloading at leisurely pace), or carrying multiple kinds of ammo on one outing. I can't think of to many hunting situations where either would really apply. There is nothing really right or wrong with either set up so long as it fits what you are doing with your rifle. My bolt guns have hinged floor plates. I thought about converting them just to do something different. In the end I left them as they are because I honestly didn't see a benefit of having a detachable box magazine on a bolt gun. If I need to sling that much lead and reload quickly, a gun with a manually operated bolt is the wrong gun in the first place. As usual, what works for me may not work for the next shooter. what ever you run, make sure you practice enough to hit what you aim at under the conditions you will likely find the target.

#19 Rusled

Rusled

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:21 PM

I see an advantage to having a clip. Some people I know hunt with lead bullets ( or did ? ) Having a detacable magazine , with a spare magazine with non lead ammo in their pocket, makes it a quick change. Having to cycle through your magazine, or drop the floor plate to rid your rifle of " illegal " rounds , then reload with legal rounds takes longer than it took me to type this.( I type with one finger )
Taking America back, one Marxist spider hole at a time.

#20 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:52 PM

If you are hunting with legal ammo to begin with, that is a non issue. If you are in an area that is so close to an unleaded hunting area that you are concerned that you may cross a boundary, you should have the sense to be hunting with lead free ammo in the first place. It sucks but getting caught breaking the law sucks worse. In the end your magazine feeding device is a matter of personal preference neither is wrong or right. Being able to accurately place the contents of said feeding device on the desired point of aim is much more important.

#21 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:00 AM

Getting caught or not, stupid law or not, I don't break laws, so non-issue. That and I don't live or around hunt non-lead.

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,152 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:13 AM

Just having lead ammo on your person is illegal in the condor zone. So switching out a magazine won't make a difference.Rusled, you need NEW friends! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#23 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:34 AM

I see an advantage to having a clip. Some people I know hunt with lead bullets ( or did ? ) Having a detacable magazine , with a spare magazine with non lead ammo in their pocket, makes it a quick change. Having to cycle through your magazine, or drop the floor plate to rid your rifle of " illegal " rounds , then reload with legal rounds takes longer than it took me to type this.( I type with one finger )

Would this really be worth it? If your carrying non-lead ammo in a spare magazine, why not just hunt with it and stay legal instead of swapping it out and risk a citation? Crap is too expensive to buy/reload and then not use it. Really makes no sense.

#24 Rusled

Rusled

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

If you are hunting with legal ammo to begin with, that is a non issue. If you are in an area that is so close to an unleaded hunting area that you are concerned that you may cross a boundary, you should have the sense to be hunting with lead free ammo in the first place. It sucks but getting caught breaking the law sucks worse. In the end your magazine feeding device is a matter of personal preference neither is wrong or right. Being able to accurately place the contents of said feeding device on the desired point of aim is much more important.

Glad the founders of this country decided not to follow the kings laws. Looking at it today we all must think they were just a band of criminals.

#25 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

Very, very few rifles will shoot bullets of different makes to the same POI. Even fewer when one is lead-free and one is lead core. So I would fail to see how "swapping" ammo in the field would work without resighting your rifle. I mean, you would resight it when changing ammo and not just hope it hits to the same POI, right? So I fail to see how a magazine is an advantage in that aspect?

#26 Rusled

Rusled

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:24 PM

I do not think they would (?) switch out magazines in the middle of a hunt, but rather after a hunt heraded back to camp/vehicle Every thing I own except a AR and numerous 22's have magazines. I do not hunt with my AR ( yet )I do not know if a clip on a bolt gun would allow me to run my bullets out to within .02-.05 of the lands which is my preference. This is why I prefer magaizines and not clips. As for those chosing to use Lead Bullets in so called Condor zones, I hold no grudges against them.

#27 PigHostile1

PigHostile1

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:38 AM

I will say "It doesn't matter if magazine or floorplate" Ideally is that it should take only 1 ammo to harvest your game. When I hunt I carry no more then 3 ammo in my rifle cause I know it will not take me more then 1shot to harvest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users