• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BearWhoHunts

BearWhoHunts

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I am into foraging of all kinds. Hunting for game is just one aspect. Every time I am out in the back country I am looking for edible, useful and medicinal flora and fauna. I am also constantly working on survival skills. Hunted as a boy for squirrel, rabbit and some upland birds. I am a farmer by trade and I work for an organic farm founded on ethical work practices.

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:18 PM

Right now I am using some federal 140 grain barnes expander. They were the only lead free .357 I could find online when I was looking. I am going to be using .357/38 quite a lot in the condor area and have started reloading - anyone work up any interesting/effective hunting loads for yotes, pig, deer or rabbits?I am going to be using a few S&W K frames and a 1894c.
"Nature provides a free lunch, but only if we control our appetites." ~William Ruckelshaus

#2 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:26 AM

Nothing to add for 38/357 hunting lead free loads.However, I am building my own 38 spl steel shot snake shot loads for the condor (condum) area.I like my little S&W Airweight for snakes and attack varmints.Some of those pesky varmints have been zombie-ized and have no fear. :two-cents:

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,159 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:46 AM

I hope that steel shot doesn't damage the bore of your pistol.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:19 PM

If Rob uses the CCI plastic shot capsules he should be perfectly fine since the hard steel will never come in contact with the barrel. http://www.midwayusa...ecial-box-of-50As far as lead-free .357. I have seen (but never used) these on Midway's site before. It's a hollow pointed all copper bullet, not much to screw up there. But best of all, you don't have to sell your sell and use b.....s bullets! And they are the same price for 50 instead of 20.http://www.midwayusa...-free-box-of-50

#5 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:16 PM

Bisley...you are right on...I am waiting for the CCi plastic shot capsules from Midway...back ordered. WOW am I that transparent? :two-cents:

#6 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

Hey there Bear. I am loading up the Barnes TACXP 110gr bullets under 5.5gr of Universal with Winchester small pistol primers to a COAL 1.515I haven't used them on anything yet, except for the range. They shoot lower then similar 158gr round nose bullets I had purchased from Fiocchii but 6.0 grains is the max for my +P J frame. I was also testing at 100 yards so thats not much of a real life comparison for a snub nose pistol. I am assuming the hollow point is causing the bullet to drift and the 48 grain difference? Good luck with your loads.

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

Haha, no Rob, not transparent, just wise. I've seen and read many of your posts and know this ain't your first rodeo :( That, and I figure I am also the only one alive who still uses gas checks and home-made cardboard wads to make their snake loads with like Grandpa did.

I am assuming the hollow point is causing the bullet to drift and the 48 grain difference?

Hollow points shouldn't have anything to do with it BullsEye. Remember that one of the most popular match bullets around is the Sierra 168gr Hollow Point Boat Tail. It has more to do with the weight. As a general rule of thumb, lighter bullets from a pistol tend to shoot lower. It has to do with faster speed, exiting the rising barrel sooner, less B.C., and such. Your results are actually pretty normal. Always nice to hear, isn't it?

#8 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:15 PM

Using Ramshot Enforcer with the 140gr Barnes... I loaded 0.2 grains short of the max listed on Ramshot's website and it chronies at 1275 using a 3 shot average...

#9 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

Haha, no Rob, not transparent, just wise. I've seen and read many of your posts and know this ain't your first rodeo :smiley_kewlpics: That, and I figure I am also the only one alive who still uses gas checks and home-made cardboard wads to make their snake loads with like Grandpa did.Hollow points shouldn't have anything to do with it BullsEye. Remember that one of the most popular match bullets around is the Sierra 168gr Hollow Point Boat Tail. It has more to do with the weight. As a general rule of thumb, lighter bullets from a pistol tend to shoot lower. It has to do with faster speed, exiting the rising barrel sooner, less B.C., and such. Your results are actually pretty normal. Always nice to hear, isn't it?

Thats good to know. Thanks for the info. Now if I could shoot a decent group with that snubby at a distance farther then 10 feet with out a rest I would be more comfortable carrying that thing in the woods. But then again thats why I have a 30-06. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#10 gmoney

gmoney

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

Also try north fork bullets for the big stuff omg these are bad to the bone

#11 BearWhoHunts

BearWhoHunts

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I am into foraging of all kinds. Hunting for game is just one aspect. Every time I am out in the back country I am looking for edible, useful and medicinal flora and fauna. I am also constantly working on survival skills. Hunted as a boy for squirrel, rabbit and some upland birds. I am a farmer by trade and I work for an organic farm founded on ethical work practices.

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

Thanks everyone. I am going to be putting these goodies on my x-mas wish list! Rob- I have been thinking about loading some of those for my uncle. He is deathly scared of rattlers and has seen more than anyone that I know. He works out in Mojave and has some of the best stories. I am getting him some snake chaps this year so some snake shot will be the icing on the cake!
"Nature provides a free lunch, but only if we control our appetites." ~William Ruckelshaus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users