2 replies to this topic

#1 asquirrelsworstenemy

asquirrelsworstenemy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

I'm thinking about purchasing one. They're relatively inexpensive and you can do a lot with them. Any comments, concerns, do's or dont's? Thanks!

#2 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

I own two SKS's. One a Russian made in 1950, the other a Chinese from the early 1990's. The Russian is full length with a really nice blued finish. The Chinese is a shorty with a 16" barrel and not as nice of a finish. I also own a Egyptian made AK47 for comparisson. For starters, both of my SKS's are a hell of alot more accurate than my AK. My Russian SKS being more accurate than my Chinese due to it having tighter tollerences and having a longer barrel. Over the years I have tried to mount a scope on my SKS's with not much luck. First off I'm not willing to tap the reciever on either one of them to bolt on a mount. As a result all of the mounts I have tried up to this point tighten down by clamping onto the reciever in one way or another. One of the problems with any mount you put onto an SKS is that the ejection arc of the spent case takes it pretty much strait up and into any scope you try to mount on it. I've ruined two scopes this way. I think the SKS has the potential to be a great ranch gun with open sights. I have no problem hitting rabbit sized targets at 100 yards with open sights with my Russian SKS. It would be better yet if you could mount a red dot or hologram sight on a forward handguard rail system.

#3 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Fishing shooting History and eating what I catch or shoot

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

I bought a Chinese SKS when they first became available. The SKS plus a case of ammo was no more than about $200. I bought the gun to keep on my boat which I used in salt water quite a bit in those days. At the price I paid, I wasn't overly concerned about what the salty environment would do to it. I recently acquired another one from a friend that has a cheapo 4X scope mounted in a B-Square mount. I haven't tried it out yet but it doesn't look too practical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users