7 replies to this topic

#1 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:01 PM

When it comes to both of my 223 caliber rifles (an AR15 and a Howa 1500 Varmit) I am what you would call a speed freak. I want the fastest flattest rifle and cartridge combination I can work up and still be safe and hold accuracy. What I have discovered is that My 20" AR15 can do everything my 24" bolt gun can. so long as I confine the discussion to bullets my 12 twist bolt gun can can stabilize and keep the range inside what is practical for a 50 grain 223 round, my AR gives up nothing to my bolt gun. The extra 4 inches may get me more velocity but it doesn't get me any more killing power that I can see. If I can get a coyote to stand still long enough at the 300 yard line My AR15 will kill it clean.So this leads me to my question. If you shoot a 223 caliber AR with barrel longer than 20 inches, what are you getting that a 20 inch barrel can't give you.

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:55 PM

If you shoot a 223 caliber AR with barrel longer than 20 inches, what are you getting that a 20 inch barrel can't give you.

Flatter trajectory that provides more reliable hits at 3-400 yard distances & less guess work. Depending on velocity differences, which can be a LOT, especially between 20-26" barrels on a 223, the drop can be approx 1" more at 300 yards & 4" more at 400 yards. That is a LOT of drop on a very small animal. Depending on barrels, velocity loss can sometimes be 2-300 fps between 20 & 26" barrels. I've chrono'd many!Also, you are referring to ENERGY, which is a NON issue on a coyote with this caliber. So TRAJECTORY is the more important factor.Please spare me the hype of so few of shots taken at those ranges on game. I've slayed enough deer & coyotes from 3-500 yards to know this happens enough, if one does any amount of hunting over 40+ years or so. My largest 4 point muley is a classic example. Now, of course, I am talking about no chance of getting closer to the game. The entire (costly(?) trip can make the difference between success or failure... including on the best animal you ever had a chance at! It's all about SPEED (KILLS). Period! Which equals flatter trajectory & easier hits at the further distances (out to 500 yards(+/-). Energy gives you nothing for that. Few hunters seem to grasp that. Most are into this para military crxx. Which is fine, but is better for WAR, not hunting!Bottom line = No SNUB nose revolvers rifles for me. All mine are 26" barrels. :fuhrer: :roflmao3[1]: :good: Frank

#3 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:47 PM

When you say speed kills I must agree with you 100%. My AR15 is the only long gun in my safe that doesn't have a 24 inch barrel. Its just I have recently discovered that a 20 inch barrel and a 50 grain bullet works pretty darn good out to the 300 yard line. so long as I have the luxury I would much prefer shorter shots on something as small as a coyote but I'm not that good a caller so sometimes I gotta through the long ball. As far as 400 yards, thats out of my league when the target is as small as a coyote.And how do you get those dead horse thingies at the end of your post.

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:12 AM

LOL... Hit the smiley pulldown button above and a list of choices pops up. Then scroll down to find the one you like. The ICONS may only appear when actually "replying" however? Now will have to look myself after I send this. lolAnd I agree, I honestly do HATE trying to make a longer shot (hard to believe, I know), but is sometimes needed in order to actually "kill" something. And is amazing how many times that can happen over several decades of hunting. Anyway, all the best on your huntsFrank

#5 theduracellbigd

theduracellbigd

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:03 AM

I like longer barrels as well, utilizes full ballistic potential and the muzzle blast seems to be milder.

#6 lenny

lenny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Location:Buena Park, CA............. 17 Coyote kills.. 1 Bob Cat
  • Interests:hunting/offroad racing/drinking beer at the river and drinking beer.

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:55 AM

Thanks for the info Frank even know ive allready built my AR15,you say you realy dont like them long shots and I understand that but ive never been able to do this till now and dont get me wrong, any day you can get a yote in close is a good day I just want to say ive done it and be able to do it,I fill pretty confident out to 300 yrds at this time,I went with a 20' busmaster preditor barrel 1-9 twist and im using a 55 grain bullet,Attached File  3.jpg   20.82KB   7 downloads

#7 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:41 AM

I have two AR-15s, a RRA Predator Pursuit 223 and a D-Tech 243 WSSM both of them have 20" barrels. Both of these rifles feel pretty good to me with 20" barrels. The AR-15s I have looked at with longer and heavier barrels were way to heavy in the front for me. I do like the 20" barrels much better than the 16" barrels on the AR15s. If you really want more speed get something that is faster than a 223 to begin with, 4" to 6" of more barrel length isn't going to make it into a 22-250. My RRA AR-15 has not been used in over a year now because I really like the way the D-Tech 243 WSSM reaches out there and puts the coyotes down with authority.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:13 AM

Nice rifle and HUGE bobcat, Lenny... Anyhow, let us know whenever you do slay something around the 3 or 400 yard mark with your new AR. With pics of course. lol BTW, with more & more coyotes seeming to hang up at around those distances, it may be sooner than later when you get your chance. OH, and if you do not have a range finder(we seldom use the one we take), just step off the distance if possible; (if no deep gullys or canyons in the way). You can come close enough; at least usually much closer than guessing. OMG, our group has occasionaly done HORRIBLE at guessing distances (& was too funny sometimes).Happy Hunting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users