• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:42 PM

I got some Howard Leight's off Amazon.com last season, I love them, mostly for the sound amplification. They will teach you to sneak quietly and help you hear game, etc.

#2 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

I havent tried them out hunting, but I use them at the range. one of the places I shoot is a public range, and I had several times had people walk up behind me that I did not know were there. now that I use the E muffs I can hear their cars turn off the Hwy onto the gravel road. DR

#3 BillytheKid

BillytheKid

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:25 PM

In particular I like the cut out design of the Howard Leight's I have. It allows my cheek weld without interference.Bill

#4 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:47 PM

Exactly. I go some places on BLM land near-ish to the border you probably don't want anyone sneaking up behind you while you're concentrating on shooting or hunting. I also use them in shooting competition to help ensure I don't miss anything.

#5 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

Me too - they are great for silhouette matches where you need to hear your spotter calling the shot placement and the rangemaster who may be way down on the other side of the range.Turn the volume way up and you can hear the birds chirping 100 yards away like they were right there next to you.

#6 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

Can you get them to tune in your TV and tune out your wife?

#7 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:53 PM

Yes. Mine have a "line-in" plug and came with a cord I think so you could hook them up to whatever...

#8 White Smoke

White Smoke

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Hunting coyotes with my .222 or big game with a muzzleloader.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

I just bought some Caldwell low-profile muffs at Cabela's on sale. My wife later found the same muffs at Amazon.com that wound up costing less because of the free shipping. They were right at $25.00. Mine are light and work just fine.

#9 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

I have a set that I only use at the range now. After trying to use them so many times in the field, I've decided to retire them to the range. Sure the amplification is great but down in the desert, the winds make hearing impossible so I usually take them off. It didn't matter if I turned down the volume, the wind noise was always present. Just when I thought I got it just perfect, the circuitry would cut in and out. They're great at the range though since you can set them during cease fires and forget about them.

#10 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:57 PM

I have a set as well. Great for the range or shooting ground squirrels. Even pass shooting dove. One thing about them I dont much care for is while you can hear stuff, you can't direct the sound. A quail flushing behind you can be heard...but you have no idea where the sound is coming from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users