#1 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

Been wanting one for a real long time. Pulled the trigger and bought a used one today. :lol: Reminton 700 6mm I think it was manufactured January of 1968. Never had a 700 this old before. Now that I got it I don't know if I should shoot it. ??? There is not a scratch on it. What do you guys think? Does any one collect these things? Does the butt pad look factory to some one older than me?? What is a rifle like this worth? I think I may have stole it for what I paid for it. May have to go give the guy some more money.Here is the pictures. Posted Image Posted Image

#2 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,806 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:59 PM

If your not sure about it send it to me. And I can see if it works ok and is safe . Might take a few years of testing to get the best results. :lol:

#3 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:29 PM

LOL I just don't know if I can make my self go out and scratch it. The oldest one I owned before this was bought in the 70's. It has a synthetic stock on it now because I scratched the factory BDL stock so bad I could not stand to look at it. My 70's BDL stock had a black plastic butt pad with a thin white spacer.

#4 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:41 PM

Firearms were made to be used. It is not a super rare, high dollar gun .......so shoot it and use it. If you want to keep the stock all nice then pick up another or a syn and use it that way. Latter you can put on the original shock for show.

#5 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:45 PM

Your right! And I am going to shoot it. My smallest big gun is a .270 and my biggest small gun is a 22-250. I been wanting one in the middle for a long time. Now I just need to get another base rings and scope. Already bought those things this month for another rifle. Now I am broke. LOL The real reason I bought it is I have a grilfriend & kid that is about ready to start shooting a center fire and I think this will make a good Black Tail/Coyote gun with not much recoil. Oh yeah I got buy bullets too.

#6 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

One of my all time favorite cartridge. Built my first varmint rifle in this chambering. Nice find there Bennie. Use lighter bullet like the 95 grain Nosler BT for deer and 87 or 75 grain V-max for Varmint. The old 700 has 12 twist.

#7 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

I thought I read that after 1958 they went to a 9 twist. I will have to check it. I hope it is a 9 instead of a 12.

#8 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:27 PM

You could be right. The 244 perhaps?

#9 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:29 AM

Listen to the Desert Fox...he knows!In my 6mm Remington I use an 87 gr Hornady V-Max pushed by 44 gr of 4350.Totally stock this works out to 300 yards. I pulled one of the three...but the varmint wouldn't know.Use the rifle.Attached File  2.jpg   18.84KB   9 downloads

#10 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:48 AM

You could be right. The 244 perhaps?

The older 244 definitely had a 12 twist and that is why it did not catch on according to what I have read. This is my first 6 so I have some learning to do. I have heard the 87 V-max shoots well in all of them. I plan on building a real nice custom 6 some day. Hopefully sooner than later.

#11 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:12 AM

Bennie, Congrats on purchasing that very fine rifle...I personally doubt if I would touch or change anything on that rifle. One can actually hurt the value of older "stuff" when doing that. Besides it's a very nice rifle as is.If you still want to use the rifle & help keep it in pristine condition just do 2 things. 1). Do NOT let ANYONE else use the gun, & 2). only use it sparingly & under more ideal conditions. IE; No foul weather or rugged terrain. Besides, you will likely not be happy until you build your custom 6mm anyhow, & you can then beat the hxxl out of that one. lolI also remember reading (years ago), something about the twist being one of the so called "reasons" for the 6mm's lack of popularity. I'm not too sure about that (reason), but do recall reading stuff like that anyhow. :roflmao3[1]: Frank

#12 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

69 grain Berger vld devastating on coyotes. and a very flat shooter.. Congrats Bennie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users