• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:24 PM

I have a box full of duck calls and every time I get a new one the first thing I do is take it apart and mess with different reed shapes and wedge depths to get different sounds. Long story short, I'm not going to be content until I actually make my own call from scratch. I know that I'll probably make a couple hideous noise makers before I get it right but I just think it would be really satisfying to call in ducks with a call that I made with my own hands. So what I'd like to know is (other than cocobola) what are some good woods for making calls out of and where would be the best place to get some little blocks of these woods?
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#2 Lonehowl

Lonehowl

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:56 AM

Osage orang(hedge) blackwood, maple and many others are good. There are lots of online vendors, and places like THO game calls forum, there are guys there that sell wood blocks for callmaking too. You should make sure it is dry wood too.Also, Custom Calls Online forum is the place to go for good info on callmaking, especially duck calls.Mark

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:52 PM

Excellent, thank you!
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#4 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

Do you have a lathe already, if so you are ready to turn calls, you can get material to make tone boards from a place called mcmasters it's called derlin and holds up better than wood tone boards. just about any wood will work for the barrel so you can start with something inexpensive like a douglas fir closet rod or some pine to get the hang of turning the barrels then move on the the nicer woods or acrylics. I started off making calls out of antler with nothing but a dremel tool. Lonehowl makes some beautiful calls and is spot on about THO they have a ton of resources over there.

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,748 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:01 AM

Clampdaddy Theres a hard wood place on north Riverside dr in modesto off of Yosemity going twords Empier that has some nice woods.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:45 PM

Thanks guys! I have a buddy that is remodeling his house and wanted to make his own staircase pillars so he is keeping an eye on eBay for a cheap lathe that we can go in halves on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users