• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

Well, the wife got tired of me packing my coyote gear into a backpack with no organizing of what goes where so she bought me a Fox Pro Fur Taker coyote hunting vest. Last time I wore a vest like this was for turkey hunting. This thing is kinda cool actually. It has a pocket for my Firestorm ecaller, pocket for the remote, pocket for the water bottle, large pocket on the back for my decoy, jacket, snacks, etc...., an ammo pocket for shotgun shells, rifle cartridges (both have their own ammo loops) and a small camera. It also comes with a detachable butt pad :lol: . Now I have a vest for turkey hunting and one for predator hunting. Oh, almost forgot-it comes in my favorite camo color-Mossy Oak Brush. This is better than Christmas. Anyone else have one?

#2 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:54 PM

Funny, I was just looking at it online tonight, I was think to get something like that to get my gear organized. Sounds like you like it?

#3 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:03 AM

NICE! having the right gear is everything. Lost the seat on mine. Now go get some blood on it.

#4 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:25 PM

Let us know how it works for you. I've been kicking around, getting one myself, but I have a hard time paying $100 for one.Lee

#5 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:12 PM

I have read a few reviews, some really like it, and some dont. And some really like it after using it a while. Please let us know how it works in the field. Field use is the real deal. Keep us posted.. likes/dislikes. Good luck with the new vest!

#6 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:18 PM

Yes, please let us know. I've also been interested in this, but 100 bucks seems a little steep.

#7 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

Although made in China, word is they are decent quality. I have looked at Turkey vests as well. Having a seat pad and compartments for all the gear is enticing. Hurry up and test that thing! lol

#8 yoteblaster

yoteblaster

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Huntin' yotes, Huntin', fishin', Atv'n, Campin', shootin'Military history

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:33 AM

Thats cool! Let us know the report on it. I am looking at getting one myself! I think it would be a great inVESTment (lol) @ least at 49.99. I agree 100.00 dollars is a little steep!

#9 So. Cal Stag

So. Cal Stag

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Duck hunting, dove hunting, quail hunting, predator hunting, fishing, recreational shooting, anything outdoors. Starting to get into skulls.

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

I had one pre-ordered before they came out. Had it a few months now. I love it. I was using a old military surplus mail bag. Everything use to get all mixed up. Now its all arranged just the way I like it and it stays that way. Price did not bother me. If its worth it to you, buy it. If it's too much for you, don't buy it. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#10 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:53 AM

I was using a old military surplus mail bag. Everything use to get all mixed up.

Seems that would be very uncomfortable? Did you drape it over your shoulders like a shawl?

#11 So. Cal Stag

So. Cal Stag

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Duck hunting, dove hunting, quail hunting, predator hunting, fishing, recreational shooting, anything outdoors. Starting to get into skulls.

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:24 AM

Seems that would be very uncomfortable? Did you drape it over your shoulders like a shawl?

No. I carried it like a military surplus mail bag.

#12 So. Cal Stag

So. Cal Stag

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:32 AM

I was using a old military surplus mail bag.

Correction- it was a medical bag

#13 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:35 AM

Correction- it was a medical bag

Oh...makes sense now.

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: :o

#15 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:32 PM

All of my camo T-shirts have a pocket on them so I really don't need a vest. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: But I do have my FOXPRO caller and speaker in a camo bag with a shoulder strap and I keep all the extra stuff I need in it instead of a vest.Posted ImageIn this picture you can see the camo carry bag that I use. They don't cost much and it gives me something to set my e-caller on.

#16 So. Cal Stag

So. Cal Stag

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

Wow! That bag doesn't even look big enough to hold that life size coyote decoy. :D

#17 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

Update: I was out all weekend in the desert with the new vest. I gotta tell you guys, I like it! I don't know that it's worth the C note it cost the wife but I have super easy access to my e-caller and remote. I must've made 20 stands with an unproven new hunter but I was in total comfort with it. I'd find a location where I want to set up the caller, pull it out of it's designated pocket, turn it on, locate a spot for my Mojo Critter, pull it out of it's designated pocket, turn it on then go to a high spot where my new shooter is. It was so great, not having to pull my backpack off, set it on the ground (scent along with it) and pull my caller and decoy out, then put it back on to leave the area. The water bottle pocket was very well placed and at an angle to make it accessible to your left hand. My bino harness fit well under the vest and the chest strap kept the bino's close to the body so it didn't bounce all over the place when hiking up and down hills. The rear gear pocket was large enough for my snacks and extra hand calls and it was still accessible with either hand as long as you dropped (unbuckled) the seat section. I found a small pocket on the right side behind the large right side pockets that I put some folding knives in. The large right side pockets hold my 22.250 bullets or 12 gauge shells or 2 10rd AR15 mags. This thing is well thought out in my opinion. One of the things I really liked was the "no slip" patches on either shoulder that grips the rifle sling to it doesn't slide off. I found this particularly useful when setting out the caller and decoy with all the bending over and kneeling. The best part of this whole rig-the butt pad! Unbuckle the top straps, let it fall, reach between your legs, grab the "loop" (great idea) and just sit down on the pad. When you're ready to leave, get up, grab either of the upper straps and buckle them back up and off you go! You can choose to unbuckle the pad altogether if you're in uneven terrain and just buckle it back up when you leave. All this and you don't even have to take the vest off. The vest is very cool to wear as the back panels have channeled padding to help it breath. Only thing else to say is that I'm gonna love wearing this thing during this hunting season.Oh and for those of you wondering, I called in 15 coyotes, trained 3, and didn't fire a single shot. I was hoping the new hunter I took down there would connect with them but the adrenaline (coyote fever), his choice of firearm (7.62x39 SKS) and his decision to shoot or not to shoot kept us at ZERO. That's okay though, the guy had a hell of a good time and that's what it's all about. Thanks for reading guys and gals. :D

#18 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

new hunter saw 15 coyotes on one trip, that's the best on the job training any hunter can dream of, thanks for the update.

#19 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

Anyone tried Cabela's Speed Yote 1/2 Vest? http://www.cabelas.c.....;cat106920180

#20 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:52 PM

That's cool, Fak. What a treat to see 15 coyotes. Dabob, great photo.

#21 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

new hunter saw 15 coyotes on one trip, that's the best on the job training any hunter can dream of, thanks for the update.

The desert is looking good this season. There were a bunch of jacks running around so I know the food sorce is plentiful for the packs. There are lots of dumb pups that come to almost any call. I have a calling sequence that I run on my caller that most of the coyotes seem to like and run to. It's fun to watch or listen to new hunters getting all amped up when they see even a lizard move. Next time I do this, I'm leaving the rifle at home and taking the camera so I can photograph the coyotes and shooters.

#22 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

Great write up, you're sure you aren't a Pro Staffer????? :two-cents: :lol:

#23 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:13 PM

That's funny. I was over at Turners and someone was asking if they could order one for less than what the going price is. Anyway, I told him my wife just got me one and I tried it out for the weekend, then he asked me if I worked for FoxPro! I just told him that my wife did some research on what was out there and came up with the Fur Taker. I think it will be a good addition to my gear as long as I don't have to go too far from the vehicle. It only holds one water bottle and I drink water like a camel.

#24 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:37 AM

It only holds one water bottle and I drink water like a camel.

Is this a trick question?

#25 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:21 PM

Is this a trick question?

Man, if I had food or drink in my mouth, it would have been on my deskPosted Image

#26 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

Well I couldn't help myself, I had to order a Fur Taker Vest. It was a toss up between the Fur Taker Vest or the Cabelas Speedy Yote Seat, but after reading alot of complaints about the fanny pack portion of the yote seat, I decided to go with the Fox Pro.I liked how the seat deploy's on the speed seat but from what I've read the pocketts were a PIA to put a caller in, plus it didn't hold very much gear in comparrison to the fur taker vest.I've also heard a few complaints about the seat on the fur taker vest, so at one point I was considering ordering one of each & using them together, we'll see how the seat on the vest works out first,I've got a small improvement planned for the seat, but I'll have a better idea of what to do once it gets here.Thanks again for the great review Fawkee, ya helped get me off the fence on this one..... Lee

#27 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:54 PM

all this writing and no posted a link to the vest.http://www.gofoxpro....roduct_vest.phpI do need one I got my butt wet yesterday from sitting on wet ground......... :lol:

#28 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:32 AM

Damn, I need to get on eof those. I went out this weekend and was only able to call in 8, maybe with this vest I can call in large numbers of coyotes like Fakawee does.

#29 turkeyman85

turkeyman85

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Deer hunting, turkey hunting, carving turkey calls.
    Juan Galindo- Last Light taxidermy

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:49 PM

I bet when Fawkee goes out and hunts yoters that all of sudden they come out in numbers that could rival the buffalo herds of the old days lol

#30 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:57 PM

Don't go picking on fakawee too much, at least he was sporting enough to teach the new guy how to shoot and release :signs1242cn:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users