8 replies to this topic

#1 lenny

lenny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Location:Buena Park, CA............. 17 Coyote kills.. 1 Bob Cat
  • Interests:hunting/offroad racing/drinking beer at the river and drinking beer.

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:57 AM

Ive hit 3 Coyotes now with this nonlead amo,2 yotes have jumped and bit there sides and the other rolled on the ground then all 3 have ran off,all 3 I have not found any blood.

#2 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:01 PM

What caliber are you shooting?

#3 lenny

lenny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:hunting/offroad racing/drinking beer at the river and drinking beer.

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:28 PM

#4 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

Well, that's a bummer. I haven't got my .223 to shoot tin bullets accurately enough to try to hit a coyote.

#5 lenny

lenny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:30 PM

Im using a Bushmaster 20" predator 1:9 barrel with 55 grain and there on target just no damage.

#6 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:28 PM

The only experience I have with Winchester tin ammo is the .22 LR lead free that they made. That stuff was terrible. It was high speed but fairly inaccurate, and the tin was too hard and just ice picked ground squirrels so that they still ran off after being shot. I shot one ground squirrel 5 times (including neck and chest shots) and that thing was still crawling off. I'll never hunt with it again. I think the tin just doesn't expand well enough. Maybe that's the problem with the .223 ammo you're using.

#7 Dutchman

Dutchman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:16 PM

That just sucks. Even the "Varmint Grenade" (30 grain out of a 22 hornet) unzipped the belly of a coyote I gut-shot at 150 yards I "mis-underestimated" how much lead to give her :smiley_kewlpics: I'll be trying the nosler non-lead once I use up the Barnes, as I purchased before I found out how Barnes sold us out with the stupid condor crap.

#8 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, reloading.

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

The only experience I have with Winchester tin ammo is the .22 LR lead free that they made. That stuff was terrible. It was high speed but fairly inaccurate, and the tin was too hard and just ice picked ground squirrels so that they still ran off after being shot. I shot one ground squirrel 5 times (including neck and chest shots) and that thing was still crawling off. I'll never hunt with it again. I think the tin just doesn't expand well enough. Maybe that's the problem with the .223 ammo you're using.

Wish I'd known this a week ago, just ordered seven boxes of Win Tin 22lr. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Doesn't give me much to look forward to.

#9 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

Lol, but that tin stuff richochets great! Just make sure you duck the right direction when that buzzer zings by!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users