• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, airguns, my family, hunting.

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

Well Air rifle hunter and I went hunting in the forest this morning and ended up with 25 squirrels. The weather was cold and cloudy in the AM but cleared up quick and got a little warm but a cool light breeze kept things nice. Well my first kill of the day was also the longest I have ever done with an Airgun at a laserd 111 yards I was super happy that my .22 Theoben Rapid did so well out that far. I got 2 more on a rock at 44 yards and on my way back I sliped off a rock and smacked the tip of my barrel on the rock scratching it and nocking off the alignmet. The gun was shooting about 1/2-1" to the left at 25 yards so I had to try to re-align it in the field. I managed to get things working good enough to get 11 more squirrels, 2 as close as 15 yards all the way out to 92 yards but most were around the 50-82 yard mark.Air rifle hunter got 11 squirrels with his M-Rod which is great since it's his first .22 PCP airgun. He said he got his longest shot ever today at 82 yards which is great for a stock M-Rod. He got a few as close as 21 yards but most for him too were around the 50-82 yard mark. He took a few pics and might post later on we wern't able to get pics of every kill they were spread out over a large area.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,576 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:32 PM

Sorry to hear about the gun but otherwise it sounded like a good day.

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:22 PM

Nice going . Boo boos happen atleast you got it working.

#4 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

Well, early Saturday Morning (10/15/2011) I arrived at CBR400RR's place and we loaded up our gear and headed out to a local spot to do some Ground Squirrel population control. We arrived at around 7am and were set up on a nice, shady area with plenty of boulders and oak trees to conceal us from our quarry. It was quiet until we hear an alarm chirp and CBR400RR headed over to check it out. I hear a "Pffft" and than a loud "THWAP!". An awesome 111 yard kill shot from his Rapid .22 air rifle. A good start to our day. Unfortunately later, due to a misstep on a slanted rock, his barrel was tapped up against a boulder and nocked slightly out of alignment. A few taps back and it was close to re-alignment, but made it more challenging to take out our quarry at the distances we were shooting. I had my Benjamin Marauder .22 and finally got my first shot of the day on a squirrel at around 22 Yards. Smack! Clean head shot and the squirrel was down for the count. My first (4) shots of the morning were all head shots (22,26,44 & 48 yards). I had then spotted a squirrel out at 194 Yards and decided to try for it just for fun since even at 194 yards my pellets still carried almost 7 FPE of power on the target. I lowered the magnification on my scope to 4x and checked ChairGun Pro to see what the position on the reticule would be. I then fired off a total of (4) shots with apparently only one or two getting close (saw the squirrel duck on one shot and then jump and run on the final shot). After wasting those four shots I decided not to try again from that distance since I only get a total of about 30 good shots out of my Marauder and at that point I had now fired of a total of 8 shots. We continued for a while, shooting one here and there and then moved to a second location, where CBR400RR targeted and took out another one with a vital shot at around 46 yards (shown in photo below). We then moved to our third and final spot where I actually got my farthest kill shots that day at 82 yards. I took down (3) squirrels total at that distance ((2) with head shots and (1) with a vital shot). That made my day to pull that off with my Marauder .22 and put a big smile on my face :D . All in all, CBR400RR took down 14 and I took down 11 for a combined total of 25. Not too bad for a morning's take with air rifles. I made sure to take a few photos of some of the squirrels I was able to recover since I know you all like "Photo Proof" of the trip and the take downs. Besides, it helps add to the story... ;) These three were taken at 22, 26 and 44 Yards (All Head Shots)Attached File  SQHunt_8_ThreeDown.jpg   63.45KB   6 downloadsThis one was shot at around 46 Yards (with a vital shot).Attached File  SQHunt_8_OneDown.jpg   53.26KB   5 downloadsThese two were picked off at 82 Yards (Head Shots).Attached File  SQHunt_8_TwoDown.jpg   51.5KB   5 downloadsThis one was shot at around 74 Yards (Head/Neck Shot).Attached File  SQHunt_8_AnotherDown.jpg   55.76KB   5 downloads It was a good time, but I'm sure we didn't even put a dent in the population. Thanks for the nice morning of hunting Ground Squirrels CBR400RR! :signbummer8tl:

#5 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:48 AM

25 is not bad for a morning of work, good job.

#6 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:35 AM

Good job. Dang rocks.

#7 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:38 AM

ARH no problem, it was a lot of fun until I fell...lol but it still worked out and I got the barrel back to zero and I sanded and repainted the shroud so I'm back to 100% except a sore chest where the gun or rock hit me. Anytime you want to come over and target shoot or go hunting just let me know.

#8 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:52 AM

Way to go on the squirrels. Too bad about the rifle. Glad to hear it is back shooting good.

#9 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:43 AM

Turns out it wasn't the barrel but the scope twisted when I fell the target turret hit me in the chest twisting the scope to the right.

#10 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:37 PM

I thought that's what it might be. I'm glad it wasn't as serious as originally expected. :wacko:

#11 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:33 PM

Good job, guys. What a fun hunt.

#12 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:56 PM

Thanks ratassassin. It was a good time (though I'm sure that's not what the squirrels were thinking. ;) )

#13 bisley11

bisley11

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

Nothing like a great story and pics to go with it. Have a friend with a PCP 22 cal rifle who has the patience of a real sniper. He'll wait for a good shot listening to classical music.

#14 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:43 PM

:lol:

#15 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

Nothing like a great story and pics to go with it. Have a friend with a PCP 22 cal rifle who has the patience of a real sniper. He'll wait for a good shot listening to classical music.

It is fun to sit quietly with an air rifle, knowing your target will come out sooner or later and then once your target gets in that desired position, THWAP! Lights out! :drinks: Sitting out there waiting really gives you time to just sit and enjoy being outdoors... I love it. :signbs1zn:

#16 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:46 PM

When is the next trip?

#17 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

Hopefully soon. I have to get some urgent work done within the next few weeks for a project I'm working on, so it will probably be in a couple of weeks or so :signbs1zn: , sooner if I can get my work done :drinks: . I'll let you know when my work load starts to lighten up. Maybe one of these evenings we could head back out an hour or so for some rabbits? I might be able to do that. Just let me know when you are thinking of going and I'll let you know if I can make that day and time work. Thanks. :)

#18 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:27 PM

Well anytime you want to go out just let me know, I'm always ready to go hunting something.

#19 butthead

butthead

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:42 PM

Awesome hunting day. 25 GS and one at over a 100 yards, damn. Mighty fine shooting. I need to get out and stretch out my airguns. All of my hunting has been done at 20 - 35 yards (pesting at home and at my Dads place). I haven't seen a HOSP in weeks now and the ground squirrels have all but disappeared as well. If you ever need another hunter, just give me a call. Have AG's will travel.

#20 Airgunken

Airgunken

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

What area of calif are you guys hunting?

#21 4NDone0331

4NDone0331

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Varmint and Predator hunting, airguns, working out, video games and beer.

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

just saw the original post date...whoops

#22 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

Southern California... way near the bottom. Basically near the mid-east side of San Diego Country area.

But ground squirrels can be found almost anywhere there are trees or bushes with edibles on them (i.e. acorns and any nuts, fruits, ) or agricultural fields. If you can find BLM or hunt-able forestry land with pine trees, oak trees, oak shrubs, etc., you will find ground squirrels to blast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users