#1 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:29 AM

Like the title says, I'm looking for feedback on the Glock 20 in 10mm its a 3rd Generation.I know nothing about the 10 mm, other than its larger than the .40 cal.I know we have a few Glock experts on here, so hopefully they will chime in.I'm looking for a good carry piece while out hunting & came across this on another forum for an OK price.Thanks Lee

#2 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:16 AM

My name is Frank I am a Glockaholic....... If you have not shot a Glock before they are different. I would suggest you try and shoot one before buying one if you can. The model 20/21 frames are large. Some have what is called the "SF" or short frame which shortens the length for your index finger to reach the trigger for proper finger placement on the trigger. The trigger takes some getting used to. As with all guns, especially with the Glock, you need to make sure your finger is OFF the trigger when re-holstering as there are many experienced shooters out there that now have "Glock Leg" by shooting a hole in their leg from not following that simple rule. The 10 mm is a great round. It is a 40 ca. just a longer case. Pretty stout and would be a great carry gun in the field. It is quite capable as a deer/hog round with the right bullet. If you do not reload, ammo will be $$, but what factory ammo isn't these days.

#3 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:16 PM

Im not a Glock fan. But not for the usual reasons. I just dont like the feel of plastic. that said my middle son has one he uses as a duty gun in the winter months. he lives up north, and says the plastic is much warmer in the hand than steel. So I guess they have their place. The 10mm I have some experiance with tho. when the FBI first ordered them I wanted one badly. at that time it was king of the auto pistols! but after shooting it for awhile I found I could only get the most out of it by downloading it. its alot to hang onto. after awhile I realised that my reolads were almost exactly matching 40cal specs. and Im not alone, the FBI also ditched it in favor of the 40. so a few years later I traded it for a nice 1911 made in 1918. I still have the 1911. you probably wont find ammo in Walmart, the local gas station, or even the smaller sporting goods store. But You will probably be the only one at the range shooting one. So if you like unique, arent recoil shy, and dont mind ordering ammo, then snap it up! the guy I traded mine to was happy with it till he passed on. DR

#4 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for the info & the honesty guy's.I saw it in the classifieds on another forum & thought it might fit the bill, but it sounds a little to big for what I want to do with it.I had been thinking that a .40cal or a 9mm was what would work best for a carry piece while out in the field. I'll stick to that Idea (for now)Thanks, Lee

#5 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:19 PM

I personally like carrying a 38/357 revolver in the field. You can carry the hot loads in 357 and take down some big stuff. Drop down to light loaded 38's and you can plink all day. And with a revolver you know it's going to go bang even when dirty. Just my opinion.

#6 fishandhunt4ever

fishandhunt4ever

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:I really love hunting and fishing. I am looking forward to making friends from this web community and share information that can be helpful.

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:47 PM

I own both a Glock 21 and 23, and I swear by them both. To my understanding, the 10mm is an expensive round and not easy to come by. If you are looking to stay away from wheel guns, and need something that packs a punch while outdoors, I would recommend the Glock 21 (.45ACP-heavy, but worth it) or the Glock 22 or 23 (both .40cal). Glock is a simple gun, easy to handle and maintain. Before I bought my first Glock, I was against them because of the plastic, but after shooting them for a while, I was won over and bought them. Glock is a good all around choice, and if it was a bad gun, or had a common recurring defect(s), it would not be such widely used by law enforcement around the US

#7 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:17 PM

Well I carry the Glock 20 a few days a week it is large and requires a good holster to carry comfortably.The 10mm ammo is harder to find but it is out there.the 10 is also one of the only auto rounds thats legal to hunt with because it makes the power factor.But I think you need to try it first to make your choice .the 20 is the same size as the 21.I love the 10mm but I also carry a 9 a 45 and a ruger lcp 380 when I need a little more concealment.So try some and get what your comfortable with because if your not comfortable with it you wont carry it as often.

#8 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,872 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:28 AM

I have been using my glock 31 for a dispatch gun on trapped coyotes. I find that sig round very expensive ,but very accurate and powerfull with not much recoil. Killed a couple big boars with it ,and really did a number. I have shot the 10 mm and found it to heavy for me.For a heavy wild game stopper,I like that 357 sig.

#9 Bmoore

Bmoore

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:26 PM

The 10mm is the original 40. Long story short the FBI adopted the round (200grns at 1200fps). There was lots of trial and error, testing and what not. Tons of speculation that agents could not qualify with it due to recoil along with the frames of the guns were larger in size. They took powder out and developed 10mm Lite or 10mm FBI, 180grns at 950fps. Then they thought hey no need for these large cases after we took all that powder out, cases were shortened, put on 9mm framed guns and the .40S&W was born. The rest is histroy.That being said, the 10mm is the best service size handgun round in the world. It is a reloaders round though, the factory stuff is watered down and weak. It is merely .40+P and a waste of the consumers money. You can get anything form 135grn up through 230grn. It is the most versatile cartridge for handguns. 180 and 200 grains are the most popular. Swampfox and doubletap make legit 10mm ammo. A normal 10mm loading produces about 650 to 720 foot pounds of energy. It is probably the best hunting sidearm you can possibly think of, 200 grain cast bullets at 1250fps is pretty hard to beat for CA back country critters. A 40S&W is not even close, and dont ever let somebody talk you into believing they are; maybe the watered down factroy garbage is but not a true 10mm. Recoil out of my G20 is not that big of deal, they pop hard though and sound like stout 357 magnums. Everytime I go to the indoor range somebody comes down and aks what my Glock is chambered in. It is such a fantastic round. I reload it, shoot it and adore it. Go 10mm, its time for a comeback of this cartridge. I wish I would have bought my G20 the day I turned 21, thats how much I love the gun. I run a 22lb recoil spring in mine because the slide speed is just to fast with the stock one. It will throw brass 25 feet. I have about 1500 rounds through mine without a single failure/stoppage. Anymore questions about the 10mm, give me a PM. I have been reading everything I can get my eyes on about this round for a while.

#10 jeager

jeager

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:54 PM

Would love to have had one backintheday of 15 round mags.There is an entire sub-cult of legendary LONGSLIDE '20sto be found on glock talk dot comthingk 41 mag in an autopistol

#11 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:42 AM

I got my Glock 10mm when they first came out. It has a been a great gun over the years with thousand of rounds through it. Yes the ammo is not as cheap as the 9's, .40's and 45's, so if $$$ is a consideration and you still want a 10 mm then you will have to reload. Over the years I have had the opportunity to do a number of comparissons with other shooters and their pistols and most shooters are surprised to find how easy it s to shoot accurately. Like others have said, the frame is a bit beefier than the 9's and 40's so that is a consideration for those with smaller hands. Up until recently I have used my Glock 10 as a backup gun for hunting and backpacking. (I now carry a .44 magnum Ruger Redhawk) Over the years I have had three occasions where I used it while out hunting, twice for dispatching game that was wounded and once for shooting a pig in thick brush. It did the job well in on all three occasions. Like all semi autos it can jam but in every case that I have dealt with, it was because the ammo was of poor quality.

#12 Kevin G

Kevin G

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

I'm getting in on this thread rather late . . . I have a Glock G20P (ported) in 10mm. I love shoot'n it, but it is a bit pricey to do so.I get my 10mm ammo from Double Tap Ammo. Mike McNett started out loading for the 10mm and has branched out into MANY different loads for many different calibers, both pistol and rifle.Mike makes some hell-for-stout loads for the 10mm. My 10mm is what I carry for a backup when hunting.Here is the link for Double Tap Ammo: Double Tap AmmoCheck out Mike's other loads for other calibers . . . he makes some OUTSTANDING hunting loads for just about every rifle caliber out there.Not affiliated with Double Tap Ammo (yadda, yadda). . . just a fan. Kevin G.

#13 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

The FBI got rid of the S&W 1056 because it tends to shed and break parts due to the heavy recoil. It was also hell for the female agents to shoot due to the size and recoil. We carried the 1056 as our duty gun for a while until maintenance got the best of us. When we switched to Glock 17 & 19 shooting proficiency went way up. I have shot the Glock 10mm and it is a lot easier to shoot and control than the S&W. The recoil is more back and up as to opposed to the S&W which is up with a heavy roll to the side. I find it easy and fun to shoot and very accurate.Like ehd, I have a Glock 31 which has both speed and power and is easy to shoot. Commercial ammo is more expensive than 40 ca or 9mm but I reload for mine so it is no big deal. You can load them up to around 1600 fps or down to around 950 fps depending on what you are trying to accomplish. You can also drop in a 40 ca barrel with no other changes if you want to shoot that caliber. Pretty versatile. The Mod 31 works for me but if you have smaller hands you might want to try the Mod 32. (Frame size compare with the Mod 17 & Mod 19 in 9mm)

#14 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,872 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

I have been whopping coyotes snared with a 90 grain @ 1900 out of the glock 31. Its got quite a pop to it.

#15 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

ehd, are you shooting those sig .357 cal rounds thru a stock barrel or fully supported barrel?

#16 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

10mm is a great Fantastic round - basically it duplicated the .41Mag Police load (not full house .41 mag loads) for auto pistols. FBI thought it tended to overpentrate, so asked for a lighter load. Seeing as the light load could fit in a smaller case S&W saw the opportunity and seized it to make the 10mm Lite that would work in smaller chassis. It is actually surprising mild out of the full size Glock compared to say the 1006 S&W. No idea why - seems it would be opposite, but maybe that extra flex in the plastic takes the edge of the recoil more. Price of ammo is a concern, but depends on how much you plan on shooting it, and if you plan on reloading.

#17 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

I have the Glock 20 & 22.My G22 for home/travel gun use and G20 for back up for hunting.As for the price of ammo, I spend way more money on gas then on 10mm rounds (Leaded & un-leaded) I may not ever need. Plus in Hawaii min auto-pistol cal size is a 10mm cal with 5" barrel and my the other reason for the G20.Now let's get some pigs!If I wanted to really kick some (you know what) I would get the 9x25 barrel for the G20 and some the DT rounds and smoke the G31 sig.I dont reload some I am stuck with DT or Underwood ammo for better then factory sissy girl ammo. I wish I could have gotten some Swampfox 10mm ammo before Mike passed away. RIP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users