11 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:19 PM

I have a chance on buying a Win 1894 30/30 this would be my first lever action.I always wanted one ever since I was old enough to understand westerns.I am just not sure what to offer the guy it does have some light rust on the receiver.I will get a picture of it and post it tomorrow.

#2 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:44 AM

Six months ago I bought a used one that was made in the late 90s at a gun store for $350. It was the trapper model with the 16" barrel. I picked up my grandpas Winchester 6 weeks later and the wife said the first one had to go. So I sold it for $400. The rifle was in generally good condition with some light rust. Weather you're loOking at the 16 or 20 inch barrel wouldn't make a whole lot of difference. I hope this helps.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,194 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:56 AM

Your wife made you sell a gun! :yikes[1]: Time for a new model. :D

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:24 AM

Gun? Wife? or Both!
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#5 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:39 AM

The way I look at it, I can be right or I can be happy. I chose to be happy. The other Part of that story is this. When I told her I was buying the first gun, she said " Why do you need another gun"? I said I don't, I just want it. Bottom line is, I ended up with one more gun than I had before.

#6 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:48 AM

I've heard that very thing before, "Why do you need another gun?" I just look at her and ask why she "needs" to go to another quilting class or make more quilts? She already has about a 100 of them around the house. That allows me to buy "another" gun without much argument. :D
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#7 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:57 AM

I believe they have all been to the same "wife classes" .....I hear, "Why do you need another gun? They all do the same thing".....I stopped trying to explain it years ago.

#8 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:50 PM

I am bummed out today it was sold this morning someone offered him 500.00 for the 1894 and a colt police 32-30 pistol and the guy took it .This guys father passed away and he is selling all the guns he finds.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,194 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:05 PM

:smiley-outta-here: To bad you missed out on the gun. But there will be others that come your way.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#10 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,206 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

thanks John.My wife was like well you don't need another gun right now but it would have been my first lever action... :smiley-outta-here: :yikes[1]: Well I still have the bug to get one maybe a marlin 308 ,

#11 Airpower

Airpower

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:11 PM

I have a Win 1894 Model 25/35 that was manufactured around the turn of last century. In the 1970 I got my first two bucks with it. It was a fun gun to shoot (I don't shoot it any more). It has a Cougar hand carved into the stock and "Meat in the Pot" carved in to the forearm grip - pretty cool. My dad bought it in the 1960's for cheap. It originally had a well used horse saddle holster, but unfortunately that's long gone.A lever action is a lot of fun to shoot and you can shoot faster with it than with most other type of actions, and with the light recole of the 25/35, the target is not lost between shots.

#12 leoffensive

leoffensive

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Hunting(obviously), shooting, camping, mountain biking, hiking, music, and offroading.

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:10 AM

i have a winchester 1894 from '72 its been refinished with a fake case hardening. ill have to post some pics of my guns that i plan to use for hunting including the winchester

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users