32 replies to this topic

#1 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:43 PM

Just went and purchased my Ruger 10/22. Got a killer deal on it. $256 out the door. Is it true they only come with 1 magizine? What ammo works best in it? Cant wait to get it. 10 days will go by quick. Thanks for any info.

#2 jdogg

jdogg

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:36 AM

I can't remember if mine came with one or two, but you should buy a couple more, cuz this 10 round Comi fornia crap sucks. Velocitor ammo works really well in mine.

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:20 AM

The federal bulk ammo or the CCI blazer will work fine with pretty darned good accuracy. If you are really looking for accuracy, buy a 50 round box of each different kind you can find and test it out until you find the one that works the best.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#4 trn2kill

trn2kill

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:33 AM

The great thing about 10/22's is that they work great with all .22 LR ammo, I have three myself and i have to warn you they can cost you lots of money in accessories. One of my 10/22 that is built for tack driving has best results with fedral match but shoots everything well.
Wither it has two legs or four it makes for a great target.USMC Semper Fidelis

#5 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:10 PM

I can't remember if mine came with one or two, but you should buy a couple more, cuz this 10 round Comi fornia crap sucks. Velocitor ammo works really well in mine.

Yeah i think im going to buy a few more. Thanks for the reply.

The federal bulk ammo or the CCI blazer will work fine with pretty darned good accuracy. If you are really looking for accuracy, buy a 50 round box of each different kind you can find and test it out until you find the one that works the best.

Ive shot federal ammo before and its worked pretty good. The only CCI ammo ive shot has been the mini mags. Those rounds are always feeding good. What do you think of the Winchester ammo?

The great thing about 10/22's is that they work great with all .22 LR ammo, I have three myself and i have to warn you they can cost you lots of money in accessories. One of my 10/22 that is built for tack driving has best results with fedral match but shoots everything well.

Thats what ive heard everywhere, that they shoot pretty much anything. But i want to use the cleanest rounds that arent too expensive to reduce the chances of the rifle jamming.

#6 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:30 PM

Thats what ive heard everywhere, that they shoot pretty much anything. But i want to use the cleanest rounds that arent too expensive to reduce the chances of the rifle jamming.

Just keep it clean and it wont jamb on you.

#7 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:00 PM

Yeah ill be keeping this gun clean. All guns have to stay clean to work right.

#8 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:40 PM

Used my '76 commemorative 10/22 at our last long range silhouette match. Walmart Federal Bulk in the blue box shoots great out of it. Mine does not like Federal Automatch at all - lots of fliers, especially on the 200 yard rams. Really aggravating getting a perfect clean release and follow through and watch the bullet fly off in a weird direction...If I could recommend one thing to do to your new 10/22 it would be to put in an EABCO hammer and sear kit, or one of the full trigger group replacements (for more money). The Ruger barrel is more than capable of great accuracy, the stock trigger however is a disaster.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#9 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:13 PM

Oh really? So the trigger is no good? Was yours made in 76?

#10 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:58 PM

Don't you think you should take it out and shoot it before you make any presumptions about your new gun? Makes sense to me, but hey, if you want to spend 1/4 of the price of your gun you haven't even shot yet on a trigger........... it is your money ;) I don't know what you intend on doing with it, that would help a lot as for suggestions. For you see, the 10-22 was designed as a fun gun that would shoot "pretty decent" but with loose enough tolerances to still function when somewhat dirty. And it fills this bill quite well. If you plan on mostly casual shooting (cans, paper, and such) with the occasional rabbit hunt or ground squirrel hunt, then take it out, shoot it, have a ball, and save the "extras" money for ammo. If you are looking for long range tack driving or ground squirrels at 150+ yards, you either need to put some major money into it on barrels, triggers, stocks, etc or trade it in on a moderately more expensive bolt gun. Good barrels (with tight chambers) will shoot much better, but will stop being "fun" quicker as the dirt and tight tolerances cause jamming much easier. And on the other hand, super loose chamber tolerances will function after pouring mud into the action, but will shoot much less desirable groups. Only you know what you want out of it. But I would recommend taking it out and shooting it first before you even think about what you want to bolt onto it. You may actually find you like it in the handy package it already comes in without all the "bling" attached to it ;) Oh, and by the way, the factory mags are the only way to fly. The always seem to function the best. And they don't get in the way (on the bench or the hood) while hunting. The longer mags tend to get pushed on by something when shooting which moves the mag in the mag well and causes consistent jams.

#11 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:58 AM

Yeah im not planning on modifying or putting more money into the gun. I just really bought it to go shooting and occasionally hunt some varmints with it. Not looking to turn it tactical or anything like that. They only thing im planning on doing is putting a scope on it and thats it. I will also get another factory clip or two. Thanks for your knowledge Bisley. You know anything about what ammos work best in them in your opinion.

#12 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:43 AM

Whatever's on sale and goes bang ;) The only time I've really had mine not like to work is when I had the L O N G mags in it. They tend to get set on them no matter what. This is why I love tube fed rifles, but the flush sitting factory mag is perfectly suited as well. I can't actually say that one brand has had more problems feeding than another. And since this is my "fun gun" (the .22mag {bolt gun} does the real rimfire work), I don't expect one hole groups, so I shoot EVERYTHING through it. Doesn't mean it hasn't taken it's share of rabbits, it is still a usable rifle for sure, just have to know it's limits. I also had flawless functioning of sub-sonic rounds out of my stock 10-22. Can't promise you the same, but mine does.You mention scoping it. May I suggest something more along the lines of a red dot or even a ghost ring (large peep) sight. Way more quick than a conventional scope, and plenty "minute of rabbit" for working distances with a .22. Every .22 I have put a scope on ends up coming off (except for the .22mag). And as an added bonus, the peep sight on my 10-22 is the same as on my Ruger .44 Carbine. And since the guns are designed extremely similar, I get the same sight picture and feel with both guns. Did the same with the Marlin 1894 .357 and the 39A .22. And both the .357 and .44 will shoot one inch to one and a half inches all day long at 50 yards without much effort using the peeps. What else could you ask for?Don't overthink things. Take it and have a blast with it. Don't fret over hi-cap mags, trigger pulls, or anything else. Shoot it, clean it every once in a while, and enjoy it like it was meant to be enjoyed. Just remembered also, I took the barrel band off mine. Only real mod I've done, except for the peeps. Keeps the barrel from binding as bad when warm.Good luck. I got to quit thinking about the quail and chukar opener now and try to get some sleep.

#13 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:01 AM

Whatever's on sale and goes bang Don't overthink things. Take it and have a blast with it. Don't fret over hi-cap mags, trigger pulls, or anything else. Shoot it, clean it every once in a while, and enjoy it like it was meant to be enjoyed.

This>>>Except I prefer a nice fixed 4x on mine.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#14 jeager

jeager

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:17 PM

Yeah im not planning on modifying or putting more money into the gun. I just really bought it to go shooting and occasionally hunt some varmints with it. Not looking to turn it tactical or anything like that. They only thing im planning on doing is putting a scope on it and thats it. I will also get another factory clip or two. Thanks for your knowledge Bisley. You know anything about what ammos work best in them in your opinion.

then don't bother on going to rimfirecentral dot com...

#15 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

Oh really? So the trigger is no good? Was yours made in 76?

I shoot alot of silhouette competition, so I'm picky about a decent trigger to be competitive. Yes, the stock trigger on a 10/22 is crap IMHO. Posted Image

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#16 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:25 PM

Yeah i cant stop thinking about the chukar and quail opener either. I wont be able to make it saturday but sunday for sure up to the high desert.Thats if i dont go back up to D3-5 to look for deer. If i do go ill take a my shotgun because when i was last up there i saw a bunch of quail.

#17 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:27 PM

then don't bother on going to rimfirecentral dot com...

Dont worry i wont. Im a shooter and a hunter. Im not into that tactical and mod stuff.

#18 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:43 AM

I shoot alot of silhouette competition, so I'm picky about a decent trigger to be competitive. Yes, the stock trigger on a 10/22 is crap IMHO.

Shooting silhouette, it would definitely make a difference. But putting a $60 trigger on a $225 stock gun is like putting a $10,000 pair of race shocks on a stock truck. Sure, it may feel a slight bit better, but it is kind of worthless if it is the only thing you change and leave the rest of it stock. Most of us that don't shoot match would probably never know the difference if someone snuck in and traded our stock triggers for quality aftermarket ones anyways. But like I said, I don't (nor will I probably ever) shoot any kind of match. Not that match shooting is a bad thing, I just prefer casual shooting and hunting. And this is where a stock 10-22 excels.

#19 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:00 AM

I just put in the power custom hammer, dropping the trigger pull to about 2 1/2 lbs and the bolt buffer to keep the bolt from being beaten up. I also like the extended mag release.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#20 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:40 PM

Hey guys just a little update. I picked up my Ruger 10/22 yesterday and cant wait to go try it out. Has anyone used those Federal Lightning 22lr. ammo? Saw it at walmart the other day for $1.97 per a box of 50.Attached File  1.jpg   12.53KB   3 downloads

#21 jeager

jeager

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:00 PM

rim fire central dot com for everything 10/22find a brand/load/batch of ammo that works for your rifle and stick-to-it!

#22 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

Ok. Thanks for the info jeager.

#23 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

Ok guys so i took my 10/22 out this past Sunday. I picked up some CCI MiniMags and some Federal Lightnings from walmart. I Started out with the CCI MiniMags and they fed and shot perfectly. Then i went on to the Federal Lightnings. They also work fine through it. My dad took some Remington Goldens so i tried some of those to see what would happen. Turns out they worked fine. Probably shot around 50 or 60 rounds of them and nome of them jammed. So i guess these guns will shoot anything you throw at them. But if i ever use this gun for varmint hunting i will use CCIs.

#24 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

I went today to walmart and picked up anothere magizine for my Ruger 10/22. I paid $15 for it. Is that a deal or what? Anyone know where to get them cheaper?

#25 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:24 PM

i think that's about the going rate for mags. i shoot cci mini mags out of mine, good velocity and very accurate out of my gun. i never shot it stock, i had it modded out from the start. it'll go about 400 rounds before it starts to jam. i had most of the internals replaced and a new barrel and stock put on it. i have shot other peoples' stock ones and they shoot just fine, really fine indeed. mine will keep the whole clip in about an inch at 100 yards. longest shot i've made with it was about 175 yards. shoot it for awhile and see what you think, they are really good stock! as for modding, well the sky's the limit! here is a pic of mine with some rabbits i shot. i'd love to get another one and just leave it stock, but honestly i just love my norinco 22 atd. so right now i don't really feel the need to get another semi auto 22.here's a pic of minePosted Image

#26 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:24 PM

Walmart was the cheapest because all other places wanted $18 for a factory mag. Thanks for sharing chuckocaster. Did you do the camoflauge your self?

#27 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:52 PM

yes i did, my dad and i basically camo everything we have for hunting. boats, ice chests, you name it, we've painted it. best of luck on your new rifle! i've always liked my rugers, great guns at a great price. by the way, try some remington vipers if you get the chance. the muzzle velocity is 1,500 fps, i've shot them quite a bit and have been very pleased with their accuracy and reliability.

#28 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:01 PM

Nice! And thanks. I dont want to use Remington in my gun. If i want to use a high velocity round i will go with CCI Stingers. The muzzle velocity on them is 1640 fps.

#29 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:54 PM

yep, stingers are nice too. i stick with the mini mags in mine, while not as fast they are however more accurate for me. so i give up a little in trajectory but gain in the group tightness. shoot your gun enough and you'll get the dope down perfect. now go shoot the hell out of that thing and have some fun! cause that's what it's all about anyways.

#30 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:30 PM

I shoot federal and have never had a problem. Stay away from Remington especially those gold ones with the wax....bad, bad, bad!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users