7 replies to this topic

#1 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:50 AM

This is for hand gun reloading only. I reload for both .357 and 44 magnums. Is there any advantage to maxing out the case length? I always trim cases, but was curious as to why we don't want the bullets seating closer to the lands as possible with handguns as we do with rifles. I reloaded .357 yesterday and have a c.o.l., 1.578 for my 140 gr hp/xtp and a c.o.l., of 1.581" for the 158 hp/xtp. Hornady's manual says that I can have c.o.l. maxed out to 1.590". I am curious about the 44 as well, as I reloaded some of those last week as well, thx
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:59 AM

Here's my thoughts on it. I don't worry about it at all. A handgun isn't that so accurate that worrying about getting it closer to the lands is gong to be noticable, so why take the time. I don't trim my brass either. Again, for the same reason. Just my thoughts.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:10 AM

they have to fit inside the cylinder for it to be able to revolve.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,597 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

Especially in a revolver, that extra .01" is not going to mean mean Jack since it still has at least a .06" barrel/cylinder gap to go through PLUS the the forcing cone, before it sees the lands. HOWEVER, what keeping them trimmed to the same length will do is to make the same crimp and same crimp weight on every bullet the same. Some may not think it makes a difference since pistols aren't as accurate, they would be wrong though, sorry. I come from a L O N G barrel (S&W) family. A 6" pistol is a "snub-nose" to us. :crazy: My dad taught us to sight our pistols in at 75 yards so we had little hold over/under at 50 & 100 yards. At that distance, you can really tell how much better they shoot with detail paid to some things. Years ago (dumber and more broke) I never cleaned, and hardly trimmed my brass. I would also seat & crimp in one stroke. Not any more! As I paid more attention to detail, the groups shrank, significantly, with each "new" step taken. Especially the seating and crimping as two different steps. If you have concerns about seating the bullet closer to the lands for accuracy reasons, then you should also have concerns about having the same length cartridge for all cases, as it will effect the crimp and the accuracy much more than COAL. So keep them at whatever length (within tolerances) you want, but just make sure they are all that same length. Hope that makes sense or helps.

#5 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:06 PM

Thanks, all my reloads, depending on bullet all look the same. I like all my reloads to be identical, just wondering if I can get them closer a bit. Thx
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:51 PM

I hear ya. Lever guns are the same way. If you load them long trying to decrease the land gap, they won't cycle. Best thing you can do also is to make sure the cast bulet is definitely larger than the bore, and use a bullet with most (longest) contact area (body) for best stabilization. This is what makes wadcutters so accurate.

#7 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:49 AM

wow i didn't know you were a pistol guy bisley.

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

Gotta have something to do when the birds aren't flying, right? :D Actually, pistols and are what I cut my teeth on W A Y back when. I used to reload in Jr. High ('80's), and almost all of it was pistol back then. Pops would only let us shoot what we reloaded. Smart man. I'm not what most refer to as a "pistol guy", but I do know them well. We are a long barrel N Frame S&W family (27, 28, & 29's). I don't believe I need most of the calibers out there. There is nothing in this world Thunder (Model 27 .357 8-3/8) & Lightning (Model 29 .44 8-3/8) can't handle. And my beaters are a 686 snubnose (6" barrel) and a .40 S&W. It took me a long time to decide between a .40 or a .45, since we are not an auto family. Give me the .40 with ten rounds and better ballistics any day of the week though :yikes[1]: So yes, through trial and error and blood, sweat, an tears, I do know pistols. :D The twins, Thunder & Lightning. (Thunder makes the noise, but Lightning does the work) Along with my two other favorite things in this world!Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users