#1 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:21 AM

I've been doing doing a little research into smaller centerfire calibers recently.Kicking around the idea of a .17 but there are deffinent pro's & con's for all of the different .17's available.A while back a friend sent me some James Calhoon bullets to try out, & while checking out their web site, I came across the .19 Caliber.They offer 3 version's. The .19 Calhoon (hornet) The .19-223 & the .19 BadgerAll look amazing, more knockdown than a .17 & less recoil than a .22Heres the one & only link I have found regarding the .19James Calhoon Fine Shooting Bullet'sLet me know what you guy's think, to say that I'm interested, is an understatement.Thanks, Lee

#2 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:43 AM

Going too look more in to this.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#3 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

My question is: what does a .19 give you that a .204 doesn't? At least with a .20 you have access to tons of readily available rifles and reloading components...

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,500 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:05 PM

Components would be a big draw back. I know they are available now but what happens in a couple of years. Mr. Calhoon is no spring chicken.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

My question is: what does a .19 give you that a .204 doesn't? At least with a .20 you have access to tons of readily available rifles and reloading components...

For the most part, very little. Not enough to really notice when shooting coyotes. IMO the whole idea of the 19 is a novelty. To me, I like that. Something a little different is kinda cool. I really like the Badger, looks like a fun round.Yes, components could be a problem...but I'm sure someone would step up to the plate if Calhoon can't supply.If you are looking for advantages shooting a 19cal over shooting a more popular round like a .204, I wouldn't even bother with the 19.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#6 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:29 PM

I like noveltys also. Im thinking of building a 17 Akley Hornet. the only thing holding me up now is lack of 17 cal bullits in lead free. Ive recently met two others that are wanting 17 cal unleaded bullits. with three of us, Im even concidering swaging my own from solid copper. my only snag is in getting aproval from the state. Ive talked to two differant people but neither could tell me how to get approval, or even what the process is. I think my next step is to call Sacramento. but the point is if its something you want and are willing to deal with the ammo issues Go For It! DR

#7 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:11 AM

For me it's something new, not so much a novelty but a newer caliber (for me atleast).The pro's are that they are a low recoil round, minimal barrel fouling, minimal barrel heat up, supposedly better ballistics than the .22 cal. Plus it won't blow out your ear drums like a .204 will.I've read several testimonials on a few different sites & everyone who has ever seen or owned one has been impressed.

#8 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:29 AM

None of the cailbers blow out your eardrums if you are wearing proper ear protection. Just a thought.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#9 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:28 PM

You are correct Braz, but I don't hunt with ear plugs in :crazy:

#10 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:39 PM

Take it form an old man that has to have help with my heaing, you will regret it. I've got hearing aids that cost over $6000 and I still take my wife to the doctor with me because I can't always understand what they say. And I have her do all the talking on the phone because I can't understand folks on the phone. Like I say, don't end up like me. Just wear amplified muffs and you won't have a problem in the field. Take this as friendly advice.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#11 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:51 PM

That .19 caliber setup does look interesting and I considered one of his special CZ builds too. However, I am very happy with my 204 bolt and my 204 AR. That caliber is pretty devistating to varmints. And...I have too many rifles now. I sure liked what I read about the 19s though. For me, it's more of a "want" thing than a "need" thing. Lately, as I get older, I have been attempting to separate my wants from my needs. I love my CZ in 17 Remington and I have yet to discover any issues like excess fouling or other negative claims. It is a hoot to shoot, it's very accurate and easy to load for. As far as I am concerned, there is no down side for the 17. I typically shoot .17 cal 30-grain Bergers close to 4000-fps and they turn large crows into a cloud of feathers. Placed properly, they liquify coyote innards and you are hard pressed to find an entrance hole. It's my rifle of choice for legally night hunting yotes in the proximity of rural homes. Then there is my motorcycle addiction.....
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#12 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:40 PM

Take it form an old man that has to have help with my heaing, you will regret it. I've got hearing aids that cost over $6000 and I still take my wife to the doctor with me because I can't always understand what they say. And I have her do all the talking on the phone because I can't understand folks on the phone. Like I say, don't end up like me. Just wear amplified muffs and you won't have a problem in the field. Take this as friendly advice.

I understand Braz, I already have hearing damage due to working at a shooting range in my teen's, later on a lumber mill, then the past 13 years in Heavy Construction.I do wear ear plugs at work & while target shooting just not hunting, I will look into the Amplified ear muff's, it is something I've been thinking about for a a while now.

That .19 caliber setup does look interesting and I considered one of his special CZ builds too. However, I am very happy with my 204 bolt and my 204 AR. That caliber is pretty devistating to varmints. And...I have too many rifles now. I sure liked what I read about the 19s though. For me, it's more of a "want" thing than a "need" thing. Lately, as I get older, I have been attempting to separate my wants from my needs. I love my CZ in 17 Remington and I have yet to discover any issues like excess fouling or other negative claims. It is a hoot to shoot, it's very accurate and easy to load for. As far as I am concerned, there is no down side for the 17. I typically shoot .17 cal 30-grain Bergers close to 4000-fps and they turn large crows into a cloud of feathers. Placed properly, they liquify coyote innards and you are hard pressed to find an entrance hole. It's my rifle of choice for legally night hunting yotes in the proximity of rural homes. Then there is my motorcycle addiction.....

I completely agree, it is more of a want than a need, I don't need anything more than my 22-250 my 30.06 & my 12 Ga. but lord knows I have a few more than that & want a whole lot more.A .17 Rem is next on my want list then we'll see about a .19Thanks Lee

#13 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:06 PM

I think you'll really enjoy the .17 Rem. It is really fun to shoot.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users