16 replies to this topic

#1 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

Do not know to to show the link but property owner shot at trespassers " geocashing " on his property . said " he shot at rocks to scare them " but bullet hit kid in the leg . Was convicted of " shooting " at the adults but was aquitted of the charges on the 2 minors in the group of 4 geocashers . Andy

#2 beniflas

beniflas

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:43 PM

Sounds like an interesting read.Highlight the story address in your address bar, right click and copy and then hit CTRL+V to paste it in the reply box.
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

-Jeff Cooper

#3 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:57 PM

http://www.rr.com/lo...g_at_geocachersThis should be the story Andy

#4 1shot_1kill

1shot_1kill

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:30 PM

Wow it takes a brave man or a very STUPID man to just start firing a gun at somebody, I tell ya what if some one fire's a gun at me, they better kill me because I am not sure I would have the will power to hold me back from doing something STUPID also......

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,699 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:15 PM

They was trespassing .Told to leave and they did not. He should of not shot right away maybe but they should get charged for trespassing I do not care what your doing.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#6 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:37 PM

Thats a tough one to call. On one hand they were trespassing. On the other hand were they a credible threat. I'm not sure I would have shot at them but then again I wasn't there so who knows.

#7 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:24 PM

I don't think that's a tough call at all. This guy had options left and his life and safety was not in peril. It doesn't sound like any of the trespassers demonstrated aggression toward him, nor were they close to him or armed. GUILTY. Under the circumstances in the article, he would have been better off calling the cops and pressing trespass charges. I'm sure he realizes that now. I imagine that injured boy will become the next owner of those fifteen acres after the personal injury lawsuit. That old man screwed himself. Stupid should hurt.
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#8 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

The more I think about it, the more I think you are right on the money, and yes, stupid should hurt.

#9 beniflas

beniflas

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

Hindsight is 20/20. It's impossible for us to know what he was thinking at the time. We might see it as a mistake or an overreaction on his part.....but there's always three sides to a story. The old man's side, the trespasser's side and the truth.
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

-Jeff Cooper

#10 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:49 PM

At 230 feet (75+yards) the people were not a threat to him.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#11 dirtdevil

dirtdevil

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

As a geocacher one of the terms of geocaching is not to hide them on private property, so if they were placing one or searcher for one they should have known better. I live on 12 acres and have tresspassers all the time. But shooting at them clearly is the right thing to do. As far as punishment, they're both in the wrong.

#12 cptnmatt

cptnmatt

Varmint Hunter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:shooting, hunting, fishing

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:44 PM

You CANNOT shoot someone for tresspass. You can shoot someone that is a threat to you or a lovedone, I think that law enforcement will determine if the threar was real or not

#13 jrbdad

jrbdad

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

Yeah not sure shooting tresspassing geocachers is a good thing???? But they should be charged with tresspassing too. I also agree with 1shot... Point a gun at me, best have good aim!

#14 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:05 PM

I grew up deadly afraid of getting shot with rock salt. Kept my mischieveous side way under control

#15 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,631 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

Tresspassing is a pretty minor offence to shoot someone over. When you kill someone, You are the one that has to live with it every day of your life.Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#16 Tuolumne85

Tuolumne85

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

Not justifying the shooting and that link is dead so I couldn't read the story but you go scrape guts off the road at 3am cause some tweaker cuts your fence to steal stuff and then some drunk hammers a bull and flees the scene and try not to be pissed off. Not only did you lose 2,000 grand but had it not been a hapless drunk and been a family of four and someone got killed or hurt real bad you can see this guys thinking. Most trespassers just admit they are wrong and leave but there are some that wanna be trouble. Basic guidelines should go like this: an armed man tells you to get off his property you run!

#17 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...ot "oro grande"The shooter was convicted.
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users