• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 nje

nje

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:family, friends,hunting, archery and BBQ.

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:10 PM

does anyone know where i can pick up a blacktailed or mule deer fawn distress call? everything i have found has been whitetail. thanks, Nate

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

Just take a rabbit distress call and blow it very softly. It will replicate the fawn distress. If you need a call, check the classified, I've some there that will work well. I've used them and called in does that are very mad!
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

I don't think it makes a difference they are very similar, I've called in does using jackrabbit distress. Just remember you can't use an e-caller to call in and shoot deer.

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:17 PM

What are you trying to call in? If coyotes, it will not matter whether it's a blacktail or whitetail distress sound. We've called in & slayed a coyote with the whitetail sound in a strictly mule deer area.

#5 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:27 PM

Ive called in a bear cub and its mother with a fawn in distress call so be careful what you wish for.

#6 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

And lions love the fawns too. :smiley-outta-here:
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#7 nje

nje

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:47 PM

i am trying to call in bear and am aware of the rules regarding electronic calls. looking for a mouth call. i listened to a whitetail and a blacktail on a friends electronic caller and there is a noticable difference. i took a bear during archery season that a buddy called in with a blacktailed fawn distress call and it was the biggest rush i have ever had. beats jumping out of a plane. he doesn't remember where he got the call but told me he has had better luck than with the whitetail call which he gave me. thanks, nate

#8 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:23 PM

If I knew what a blacktail distress sounded like I could probably tune an open reed to match it but I don't really have time to work on calls now. If you can't find what you're looking for let me know and I will see what I can come up with.

#9 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

I really don't think a bear is going to sit back and say "That's a whitetail, and we don't have them in this country. Must be some hunter trying to fool me. I don't think I'll go for it though." Come on, if it sounds at all like a fawn in distress, it will work just as well, whether "whitetail" or "blacktail" or "mulie" or whatever.
Handmade Calls by Braz

#10 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:05 PM

Animals dont have the capacity to reason like that. Distress is Distress, and predators will come and check it out.
Hic Ego Statio

#11 nje

nje

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:44 PM

still would like to have a distress call from a blacktail or muley. i won't put a sticker of a whitetail on my truck but it's still a deer. i am not trying to say this works or this doesn't, i would just like to have the call if it exists. if someone here can point me in the right direction or get me one(let me know how much) it would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys, Nate.

#12 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:23 AM

Try Larry Jones at www.jonescalls.com

#13 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:27 AM

DXXN IT, Braz & Dave... There you two go again, putting LOGIC into all this stuff (even though you're right). Kill Joys!! ;) Frank

#14 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:38 AM

nje, I mentioned in post #2 where you could get a call. Just let me know.
Handmade Calls by Braz

#15 nje

nje

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:20 PM

thanks

#16 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,749 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:16 PM

A fawn sounds pretty much the same as a rabbit. The baaaa is just a little longer . But what others said preds do not care. Your not going to do this alone up there are you.?
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#17 nje

nje

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

i got a call from larry jones at jones calls, thanks rimrock. no thumper, i'm not going at it alone, unless i can't find anyone. i already got my bear, going to take my boy out after deer season and give it a try. we have our fair share of bear running around. thanks guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users