6 replies to this topic

#1 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:29 PM

Hey guys, been layin' low for a while but I thought I'd share my latest resto on a Remington 41P, circa 1934.It hadn't been treated kindly that's for sure. I think it was stored in a shed and then just recently it was in a garage that almost went up in flames and suffered severe smoke damage. All the heat and moisture rusted it right up and you could smell it 10 feet away from the smoke. The only parts that were missing was the rear sight screw that allows elevation adjustment and the stock buttplate. The plate I pulled off was from a Winchester and was broken in 3 pieces. It was old too as it was made of bakelite. I always forget to take pictures before I start :signs1180lq: Here's some before and after:Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:43 PM

Fine job. It looks great.

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:15 PM

Very nice. You turned it from nasty and rusty, to fancy and lusty.

#4 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:33 AM

Looks like new! Very nice.

#5 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:25 PM

Wow!!! You did a terrific job. May I ask what product you used to re-blue the rusted parts? I have a couple of old refurbs to do and I have been wondering if there is any cold bluing method that will work on larger items like a barrel, etc.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#6 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:17 PM

[You're in luck, that was a all done with cold bluing and have used that in the past as well. Give Brownells a call and get the Oxpho-Blue I use the creme but they make a liquid as well. It's the recommended go to for cold bluing. It's taken me a few tries to get it right. Definitely all in the prep. I apply with a sponge brush to get even coverage.Thanks for the complements guys!

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:37 PM

Very nice!!!! That's got to be one of the nicest cold blue jobs I've seen. The birchwood Casey stuff they sell at wal mart never comes out that nice.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users