6 replies to this topic

#1 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:19 AM

I just got about 200 rounds of new un primed nickel brass free from a buddy. What is the difference in performance?

#2 drewh

drewh

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:02 AM

Varmint Al has some interesting things to say about nickel brass on his reloading page. check about 1/2 way down.Drewvarmint Al's reloading page

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:21 AM

I've got a 25 WSSM upper for an AR that will not feed nickel plated brass. Even factory new from Winchester I can't get the bolt to close fully on that nickel brass. Fortunately I only have 2 boxes of that Winchester supreme ammo. I have some once fired brass that I picked up on E-Bay that will be going back up for sale at the same place.

#4 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:55 AM

In addition to Varmint Al's sage comments, consider this: When a round is fired the pressure will expand the case to maximum size of the chamber. It immediatly retracts a small amount or it would be impossible to extract the expended round. The expansion and retraction of the case will weaken it. The more times it is resized and fired, the weaker it becomes. The properties of brass is optimal for repeated operations. Nickel is not, so case life will be much shorter.

#5 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:09 AM

:angry: I may just load these once and scrap them.. WOW! Thank you guys for the info!

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:42 PM

I like to load up nickle plated cases for my 30-06 hunting ammo. It doesn't get all tarnished and crappy looking by the end of a season of being handled from loading and unloading the rifle. But for some reason my 270wsm will only extract plated cases normally for the first few rounds from a squeaky clean chamber. After five rounds or so it takes some extra effort to pull the bolt back, no such problem with regular brass.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:48 PM

Basically what Rimrock said. I don't like them because they don't anneal and therefore I can't get repeatable case neck tension on them and that's your accuracy in a nutshell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users