5 replies to this topic

#1 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:25 PM

Wow was I surprised with the results of my casual 15 yard test...lead vs. "little green" pellets - 22 cal.Granted it was not at extreme ranges...but they hit almost in the same place. The little "green" plastic pellets were lighter with a really small metal sabot...I have no idea what that weight is....however I will take them with me in the spring to Tejon for pesky close up varmints near the campsite...

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,294 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:19 PM

I believe the what little metal is in those pellets is lead. So therefore you can't use them at Tejon. Better get some of the tin pellets for your gun.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

I think those little green ones you are talking about are the "Hyper-Velocity Field Pellets, Type 1" made by Skenko and are a 11.3 grain, lead-free pellet. At least if I'm understanding your description of them correctly. You can find them on the Pyramydair.com website. You should be good with those for hunting in areas that require lead-free ammo from all types of guns. As for other lead-free pellets, I know H & N has a .22 caliber Baracuda Green pellet that is around 12.65 grain and is lead-free. I've used those in my Benjamin Trail NP XL 1100 with decent results and have hunted with them and gotten good head shots and vital shots with them. There are also the larger 16.7 grain Skenko Heavy Long Range lead-free pellets, but I've not had great results with those. They mostly fly straight, but are sometimes a pain to insert into the barrel (can be a bit tight in some barrels) and seem to not seat properly, thus allowing air to escape past and result in a lower pellet velocity. Dynamic has tin pellets too (I think they can be ordered from Airguns of Arizona). I've seen some videos on YouTube of a guy that uses those and gets pretty good results at medium to long ranges (I think it is the hunter from the Varmint Air website). He uses them out of his Marauder rifles and pistols. I've also seen them used in a FX Revolution and it didn't seems to care for them (they seemed to spiral unevenly). I've tried the Gamo PBA Bullet (14.4grn) and the Gamo Raptors (9.9 grn) both in .22 caliber and both are a lead-free pellet. Accuracy, however, is horrible for both pellets (in my Gamo Whisper .22, Benjamin Marauder .22 and my Benjamin Trail NP XL 1100). I think the groups were at 2 to 3 inches at 25 yards and I couldn't really recommend them. Does anyone else know of any other lead-free pellets that seem to hold any kind of accuracy?

#4 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:31 PM

"Hyper-Velocity Field Pellets, Type 1" made by Skenko and are a 11.3 grain, lead-free pellet...right on...right on.You saved me a trip downstairs. Odd little plastic pieces with a little sabot of some kind of metal.They shot to the same point was my point (15 yards). Thanks for the help. :D

#5 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:42 PM

Sounds like they are a decent little pellet. What were you shooting them out of that they were accurate at 15 yards with?

#6 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:16 PM

shot from a 32 year old FWB 22 ca It is a pre-Beeman "revolution", good old piston air rifle which is still an honorable old friend ...but it does have a crappy trigger...enough slop to feed several hogs.I also want a Maurader....but my limited $$$ are going to feed the Tejon membership...bucket list you know!Until then why not :drinks:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users