3 replies to this topic

#1 NateSmith

NateSmith

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:34 PM

http://crotalus.kitt...net/tanning.htmCouldn't find anything using the search, so figured I'd ask. I'm not about to tear up the countryside looking for every snake I see, but if I happen to come across a fairly decent sized snake, I intend to shoot it, skin it, and eat it. Was curious if any of you have tanned a snake hide in the past and what methods you used.

#2 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:45 PM

I use the Glyserin method. clean every bit of fat off the skin, tack it to a board scales down. and then for the next couple of days slather on the pure glyserin. I get mine from the Rite Aide store . you will know when you have enough on when it stops absorbing into the skin. then just let it dry a couple of days and its ready to make into hatbands, belts, wallets or whatever. the other method Ive seen used is to clean the hide, soak it in antifreese. and let it dry out. it will dry crispy. and will then need to be cracked over a table edge. and then worked to get it soft enough to use. I usaly find a few around our place, but this year Ive struck out. DR

#3 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:54 AM

I use what I call the poor redneck method that some guy told me about when I was a kid. I scrape it and dry it scales down with salt on it. Then I scrape the salt off and use Armorall on the leather and work it over some rounded edge. Seems to work well and hold up a long time. I've got a hat band I made over 20 years ago that still looks good.

#4 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:47 PM

I have done several. Skin it. I use a good pair of small scissors and start at the butt. I can make a straiter cut this way. I split it from the butt, right down the center of the belly scales to the head. Then I split it from the butt to the rattles. Jerk the meat and guts out from where head was to rattles. Take sharp knife and scrap skin to get all fat and excess meat off. Pin it scales side down to cardboard and cover with Boraxo until it dry s. Brush Boraxo off and coat with glycerin three or four times. If you want it real soft work it over a round piece of wood and add glycerin until it is as soft as you want.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users