16 replies to this topic

#1 NateSmith

NateSmith

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

So do any of you guys use a muzzleloader to shoot coyotes with? From what little I've seen about California, there's not a huge blackpowder community. Are they not allowed for hunting here or?

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,805 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:46 PM

You're right, not a big community, but there are those of us that shoot BP. Not the new fangled stuff, but more along the traditional lines. And yep, you sure can use BP to shoot anything that you can with a regular rifle.

#3 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:21 PM

great topic I always wanted a muzzle loader and one thing I want to do with it is take a coyote with it.

#4 NateSmith

NateSmith

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:21 PM

See, that's what I'm thinking. I've taken deer back home in Texas with my muzzleloader, so why not a coyote here? It's not only possible, it's quite doable. We should make doing this a priority. Only thing is, it'd have to be a shot within 100 yds (from what I can tell, the only folks allowed to use scopes on ML's are disabled peeps w/ a special hunting permit). That's not a biggie, just a limitation. My Remington Genesis is itching to get some more blood on it. It hasn't taken any game in a couple of years.

#5 NateSmith

NateSmith

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:22 PM

And if you want a muzzleloader, I've put a nice one up for sale in the classified section. It's only $100 plus shipping.

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:06 PM

That's all fine and dandy, until you realize that a great part of this state is a lead free zone. They make lead free that works in inline rifles, but not so much for traditional muzzle loaders. And if you thought lead free rifle bullets were expensive, try looking at the price of lead free muzzle loading bullets. I know, I've wanted to do it with my inline until I priced them. Thanks again b....s bullets! :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#7 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:46 PM

The way I see it a lot of the state is lead just depends on were you guys live.I just saw a hawken 50 cal traditional muzzle loader in craigslist going for 200.00 to bad I am broke right now .

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:24 AM

I've always wanted a flintlock Kentucky or Pennsylvania rifle, and one of the various civil war model rifles.

#9 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:14 PM

A 50 caliber will definitely cut a hole in a coyote. And I agree that hunting in the buzzard zone will force you to buy the B word bullets.

#10 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:21 PM

Haven't taken a coyote with a BP rifle, but I have with my side by side BP muzzleloader shotgun! It's the same shotgun a few of us shot at the CPS get together up by Kramer Junction a few years ago... #4 buck over 55 grains of 3f does the trick!

#11 andy1621

andy1621

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Retired-Catching up on life (Hunting, Rv'ing, Friends, Family & an occasional BEER!)

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:38 PM

See, that's what I'm thinking. I've taken deer back home in Texas with my muzzleloader, so why not a coyote here? It's not only possible, it's quite doable. We should make doing this a priority. Only thing is, it'd have to be a shot within 100 yds (from what I can tell, the only folks allowed to use scopes on ML's are disabled peeps w/ a special hunting permit). That's not a biggie, just a limitation. My Remington Genesis is itching to get some more blood on it. It hasn't taken any game in a couple of years.

I believe the only scope restrictions for muzzleloaders apply to "M/L only deer/elk tags" (such as hunt M-8, etc). Check the regs to be sure.

#12 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

Haven't taken a coyote with a BP rifle, but I have with my side by side BP muzzleloader shotgun! It's the same shotgun a few of us shot at the CPS get together up by Kramer Junction a few years ago... #4 buck over 55 grains of 3f does the trick!

I want one of those bad!!! It would be so cool to hunt ducks with a muzzle loading double. The one cabelas sells is expensive though.

#13 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:42 PM

That does sound like fun (and many bird hunter's dream), but, once again it too will have to be loaded with non-toxic (steel etc) for the waterfowl. I haven't looked at BP shotgun specs in quite a while. Can you even load it fast enough with BP to make steel shot effective? Going to have to look it up.

#14 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:00 PM

I've never looked at black powder shotgun ballistics. I guess you could use some of the other heavy non tox stuff or just use steel but up the shot size a couple more sizes than normal. Might get some funny looks when you tell guys that your using BB for teal but what the heck, if that's what it takes I'd be willing to try it.

#15 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:26 AM

One thing is for sure, a black powder shotgun for waterfowl would definitely humble one into really being sure of their shots. And with all that smoke you can make sure you will have more birds than your buddies. They won't be able to see after you shoot from all the smoke :)

#16 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:37 PM

And they'd have a heck of a time proving that you brought more than 25 rounds worth of powder and shot into a refuge...... :)

#17 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

And they'd have a heck of a time proving that you brought more than 25 rounds worth of powder and shot into a refuge...... :)

I like the way you think ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users