10 replies to this topic

#1 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:36 PM

Decided to go to the range today and take out some of the guns that don't get out that much . But as to " what happened ? " , I got a " no charge " rd .in my 6x45 . I was shooting it . No prob . Put in the next mag . Pulled trigger & nothing happened . Waited for 30 secs , pulled rd keep shooting . When I looked at it , it was not right . Mic'd it . 2.426" from the orig 2.260 " Can not blame it on a machine . I use single stage & pour the powder by hand . And 1 got by . But not bad for reloading some 14 years and that today was the 1st time . Andy

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

Happy Birthday Andy. :smiley-sorry:

#3 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:00 PM

Thanks SJ Did you give me that for a present ? Also glad it did not get into the bore . Andy

#4 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:48 PM

That happened to me for the first time just a couple weeks ago. The bullt stayed in the case for me. i didn't realize what the problem was until I got home and pulled the bullet to find no powder in there.

#5 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:12 PM

Glad nothing serious happened Andy. I had a round do the same thing, I had forgotton the powder somehow, but the primer had enough pressure to send the .204 40 gr into the barrel. Fortunately I pulled the bolt, and saw a clogged barrel. A cleaning rod got it right out. Posts like this I believeare good for everyone as a reminder of what can go wrong. Thanks for sharing andy.

#6 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:29 PM

We were shooting an ICORE (International Confederation of Revolver Enthusiasts) last Sunday when one of the competitors had the exact same thing happen on the very first round. Fortunately for him, the Safety Officer, standing right behind him, immediately yelled stop, and the competitor also realized immediately what had happened. The bullet had lodged in the barrel and a second shot would have created a huge problem. He was shooting a 38 special round.

#7 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:23 PM

I know it happens to other people , Thanx for sharing . Question : to the ones that have had it happen ,Progressive loader or single stage ? I do single stage as I load 100rds for a gun , it takes a year or 2 to shoot it because I take a different rifle out every time I go . The only other thing that happened , happened early in my reloading career ( 1st 6 months ) . I put a 2nd charge of powder into a rifle case . But since it was so full after the 1st charge , the 2nd overflowed it & it never got close to having a bullet seated . After that I changed my procedure . Oh & I learned to fully ( as in all the way to the rim , almost ) resize a case that I bought used ( 1x fired ) before putting it in my chamber . Remember I posted that I could not get Lapua 308 brass to chamber . So I have had 3 things happen while reloading . Thankfully none were as bad as others I have heard of . Andy

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:46 PM

Welcome to the world of being human. Oh, and :smiley-birthday: also. It is eventually going to happen to anyone. To anyone that tells me the have never had a single problem, I tell them they are either lying or need to load more than 50 rounds a year :oops: It can happen with both presses too. Even though progressive presses have primer powder level alarms, they run on batteries, and we all know when batteries die (right when you need them most). Just be thankful you had a painless mistake. I don't know about you, but I'll take a no powder round over an over powdered round all day long.

#9 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:40 AM

Single stage here.

#10 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:48 PM

Mine was single stage. I now charge and then seat each bullet when I load, may take a little longer, but it keeps me focused, and have not had another uncharged case.

#11 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:32 PM

I remember doing it a couple of times over 25 years ago and just to prove that it's not just inexperience that does it, I did it again last week. It's always been on a turret press, throwing charges or on progressive press for me. This time in 223 on a Dillon 450B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users