• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:44 PM

I am in full agreement with you Bisley. I forgot that Remington took over Marlin. That changes everything. I was on the Marlin lever gun site earlier and there were a bunch of guys complaining about the way Remington has screwed things up. Too bad. Marlin was a great company and used to have incredible customer service at little or no charge.I have a 17HMR Marlin bolt, a Model 60 .22, a 22 Mag Marlin bolt, a 357 lever carbine and two 336 levers (30-30 and 35 Remington). All are excellent shooters and well made. It's sad to see things have changed for the worse.

#32 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

I think I paid my local gunsmith $50 plus the new bolt assembly I didn't really need.

#33 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

Too bad. Marlin was a great company and used to have incredible customer service at little or no charge.It's sad to see things have changed for the worse.

Yes sir they were. And yes, it is sad. Must be bad Kharma for buying b....s bullet company also :roflmao3[1]: :smiley_green_with_envy: I can only hope they straighten it out. It sure makes us a whole lot more appreciative to have customer service and products from companies such as yours. Thanks for spoiling us.

#34 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:10 PM

Before I spent a bunch of money sending it out, why not give its action a good cleaning to get the remington debris out and try some other ammo. that may be all it needs. Rem ammo is really that bad. Posted ImageIve still got a few of the model 60s. at one time I had 9 of them so Ive seem your issues before. they are dirt, grit and ammo sensitive. so its going to take alittle time and experimenting to find what it likes. but when you get it dialed in they tend to run like a Timex watch. Takes a Liking but Still Ticking. DR

#35 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:16 PM

Yeah. I think im going to take it apart and clean it out really good. Then take it out and see how it performs. Thanks for the help guys.

#36 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

If you seperate the metal from the wood, and the action from the reciver you can easily blow out the crud with a can of Brake clean. look for a brand without chlorine, and it wont damage the finish. the high pressure will clean well enough that Ive not had to disasemble any actions for cleaning. the only tricky thing about 60s is getting the recoil spring back in without kinking it. I put it in the back of the bolt, start it in place and then ease the bolt forward and up into the reciver. if you do kink it just streighten it as best you can and try again. good luck DRPS CCI mini mags are worth looking for! DR

#37 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:22 PM

Thanks dangerranger. I will have to do that. I have a box of CCI Mini Mags which i will shoot out of it. Are the Remington Golds ok to shoot out of a bolt action or lever action? Because i got a bunch of them and dont know what i will do with them.

#38 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:58 AM

Yes, the blow back action of the model 60s tends to collect debris. anything that fires from a closed bolt would be OK, or even a revolver. you will see what I mean tho after shooting something else how dirty the rem is. DR

#39 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:14 PM

Ill give it a good clean one of these days and take it out to see how it performs. Im thinking of getting a ruger 10/22. There on sale at Turners for $209.99. Is it a good deal?

#40 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:14 AM

mjc89, I own a Marlin 81-DL-22 that is tube fed, similar to how your's looks and I used to have the same problem when I first received it (it was my Grandfather's). What I found is that the automatic feeder/ejector was allowing the rounds to pop up too far out of the feeder tines (not sure of proper part name) as the next round was brought up from the tube. So I pinched the two pieces of metal (not sure of the exact term for the part) that bring the round up from the tube and hold it in place before the bolt is closed, a little closer together. I put a towel to protect the parts and then with a pair of needle nose pliers, carefully narrowed the gap until it would consistanly feed properly. After that, I've never had a problem with any brand of round not feeding properly into the chamber. I also did make sure that there was some gun lube to keep the parts from sticking or jamming. It even shoots the Remington Golden Bullets just fine. :D I know the guns are a little different, but I though I would mention it just in case.

#41 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:30 PM

Thanks for sharing your info Air Rifle Hunter.

#42 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:06 PM

So i also took the Marlin Model 60 out sunday. Gave it a good cleaning before taking it out. I was shoot ing my 10/22 and my brother was shooting the Model 60. Hes started shooting CCI MiniMags with no jams. He also got a box of Federal Lightnings and they also fed good. He decided to try Reminton Goldens to see what would happen. The first couple of rounds worked well through it. But after about 50 rounds i started jamming. So he shot a coupke of more through it and 1 or 2 out of the 15 would jam. He said he thinks its because of the design of the bullet but who knows. So he'll be sticking to CCI and Federal instead.

#43 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:40 PM

rember to clean well after shooting the Rem ammo. the debris it leaves behind will foul up other ammo also. when you open the action you will find little grains of unburnt powder. that and its fouling are what jamms them up. Glad to hear you got it working tho. PS the Rem ammo will also foul your new Ruger, just not as fast. DR

#44 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

Yeah i will clean both the Marlin and the Ruger really well. I will not be using the Rem ammo in them just wanted to try out to see what would happen. I will be sticking to CCI and Federal ammos. Thanks for replying dangerranger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users