43 replies to this topic

#1 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:57 AM

Hey guys! I have a marlin model 60 22lr. and it seems to jam a lot. I have took it apart and cleaned it and oiled everything and it still jams. Does anyone else have the same problem? Is this something that happens a lot to these 22s?

#2 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:37 AM

Mine does occasionally, especially with Remington gold junk ammo. What ammo are you using?Also, you might be using too much oil, which can attract contaminants and stick them there in the action.

#3 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:06 PM

It depends on whether it jams up on loading or on ejection. If its clean then check the ejector spring, if not that then the feed throat. cleaning fixes 50% of them. but Ive had to adjust a few ejectors. the ejector wire needs to angle up and in about the width of a nickle each. DR

#4 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:32 PM

I bought my wife a used model 60 cause I liked the stock engraving and the price was right. I had my doubts about the action so I just sent the action back to Marlin for a good assesment and any necessary repairs. A couple of weeks later, I received the rifle back. They had gone through everything, put the action in a new stock and charged me $15.00. I removed the new stock and put on the old stock after refinishing it. If in doubt about function, why not send it to Marlin for a check-up? Anybody need a new Model 60 stock?Posted Image
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#5 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:40 PM

To make the jamming less frequent, you could always take off the scope, slide the model 60 out from under it, then slide a 10-22 back in it's place. But to completely eliminate the jamming problem, you need to follow the same procedure, but this time put God's gift to the hunting man (a bolt action rifle) under it..............

#6 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:55 PM

Mine does occasionally, especially with Remington gold junk ammo. What ammo are you using?Also, you might be using too much oil, which can attract contaminants and stick them there in the action.

Yeah ive been using the remington golds. Also was using federals and it would also jam. The oil might be attracting gunk as well. Thanks for your help.

#7 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:57 PM

It depends on whether it jams up on loading or on ejection. If its clean then check the ejector spring, if not that then the feed throat. cleaning fixes 50% of them. but Ive had to adjust a few ejectors. the ejector wire needs to angle up and in about the width of a nickle each. DR

I will check it out. Thanks for the info.

#8 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:00 PM

I think im going to send it to Marlin to get it fixed. It will save me the hassle. Do i ship it without the scope and stock?

#9 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:08 PM

To make the jamming less frequent, you could always take off the scope, slide the model 60 out from under it, then slide a 10-22 back in it's place. But to completely eliminate the jamming problem, you need to follow the same procedure, but this time put God's gift to the hunting man (a bolt action rifle) under it..............

I got the gun for free so i think im going to send it to Marlin to get fixed for a couple of bucks. I was going to get a 10/22 but i need something that will shoot anything from a cb short to 22lr. I wanted a bolt action but i dont think there is one that will shoot all those is there? A lever action is what i was thinking of getting because a retired detective friend told me they shoot almost anything.

#10 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:29 PM

I was actually funning with ya, but serious though. You can't beat free, but yes, most tube fed bolt guns will take short, long and long rifle, even CB's. That is also why the lever guns will do the same, because they are tube fed. My 39A will cycle anything I throw at it. But I would definitely check around for an old Marlin 81 or 781 tube fed bolt gun for cheap. I have always preferred tube fed for two reasons. One, they will feed anything. Two, you don't have to worry about hitting the mag when resting it. Autos are fun, but give me a (hassle free) lever or bolt gun instead any day of the week. Good luck to ya.

#11 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:27 AM

So as long as its tube fed it will shoot almost anything? Most of the bolt actions have magazines though. Is there any levers or bolts you would recommend? im not looking to spend a whole lot on a .22. I just really want a plinker and acational hunting rifle.

#12 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:41 AM

I don't know about ALL of them, but most of the tube fed I know of will take short, long, and long rifle. I know the Marlin 81, 781, 881 etc. will. We have a Winchester semi-auto model 60something(7?) that's tube fed and will also. I see you're in Cow Country (Chino) Hills, I would recommend taking a look at some of the larger shops for a used rifle. Fowlers Gun Room in Anaheim/Orange comes to mind. They are near where the 22 & 55 freeway meet. They have a couple decent racks of used misc rifles in there. Go through every so often and check out the rimfires. A quick glance at the barrel will tell you if it feeds all three. It should say S, L, & LR stamped on it. The Stockade in Huntington Beach also has a couple racks of misc rifles in their store. Check pawn shops too. It seems like rimfires are always the first to go when people need money. Best of luck, hope you stumble onto something that makes you happy(er).

#13 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:43 PM

I am going to take at a look at pawn shops. Sometimes they have some good stuff. I also need some fishing tackle so i can also look for that while im there. Thanks for all the help Bisley.

#14 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:15 PM

No worries. Keep us up on how it all turns out.

#15 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:43 PM

Yeah ive been using the remington golds. Also was using federals and it would also jam. The oil might be attracting gunk as well. Thanks for your help.

I lube mine with Rem Dri. its a dry spray lube. it doesnt attract grit like oil does. I also stay away from rem ammo. try it first with CCI Mini Mags. they are very concistant, and fast enough to always cycle the action. see first if that fixes your gun. another ammo Ive had good luck with is Fed Auto Match [or Fed AM]. DR

#16 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:27 PM

Just take off the scope and send it to Marlin. Give them a call first and get the shipping instructiuons and the basic fee for reconditioning. They are very fair and their customer service is great. Good luck with her.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#17 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:15 PM

Hi Red, is TN agreeing with you?

#18 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:33 PM

I lube mine with Rem Dri. its a dry spray lube. it doesnt attract grit like oil does. I also stay away from rem ammo. try it first with CCI Mini Mags. they are very concistant, and fast enough to always cycle the action. see first it that fixes your gun. another ammo Ive had good luch with is Fed Auto Match [or Fed AM]. DR

Ok. Ill give it a try. Thanks.

#19 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:38 PM

Just take off the scope and send it to Marlin. Give them a call first and get the shipping instructiuons and the basic fee for reconditioning. They are very fair and their customer service is great. Good luck with her.

Thanks. I wonder if i can send it through turners. My dad said he sent his through them one time to get the sights fixed.

#20 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:10 AM

Read the post by CA Desert Dog you referenced in your above post. He said CALL marlin, and get the shipping instructions. No reason to take it to Turners, you can just take it to UPS and do it your self.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#21 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:11 PM

What year is your model 60? If it is before the bolts locked open like my M1 Marlin which is nearly identical. The problem is the firing pin hits the bottom of the back of barrel and eventually splays it enough to jam it freuqently. I had my local gun smith put in a new bolt assembly before we found out what the problem was. He bored out the Leade and it has never jammed since.

I'm an airgunholic

#22 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:58 PM

I am not sure what year the rifle may be. One of our friends gave it to us.

#23 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:42 AM

The problem with the firing pin eventually causing jams is really common on the older ones that didn't lock open on the last shot.

I'm an airgunholic

#24 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

I am not sure what year the rifle may be. One of our friends gave it to us.

To find its year of manufacture take the first two numbers of the serial and subtract them from 2000. so a serial starting with 25xxxx would have been made in 1975. a serial starting 09 would have been made in 1991, etc.... Im not for shure what they did after the year 2000 but I believe they subtract from 3000 now. so if your serial starts with 89xxxx it would have been made in 2011. DR

#25 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:33 PM

Well called Marlin today. They gave me a number to some other place. So i called them up and they said they would fix it. They also said that the labor starts at about $45. Does this sound right?

#26 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:48 PM

So i called them up and they said they would fix it. They also said that the labor starts at about $45. Does this sound right?

Sounds more like for a few hours work (which you know it will take that long :rolleyes: ) you could buy a good used bolt action rifle that will likely never give you a lick of trouble the rest of your life, like some intelligent person mentioned earlier. But I'm sure that was just a coincidence. ;) Of course you will have to get used to some of the disadvantages of a bolt gun though. I mean, who really wants a gun that's lighter, will function no matter how hot or mild the load, and goes B A N G 100% of the time :roflmao3[1]:

#27 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:01 AM

That's interesting that they would send you elsewhere. I sent my wife's rifle back about 6-years ago. Perhaps there has been a corporate shift. Even at $45, why not get it done professionally. The rifle was free, right?

#28 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:40 AM

Sounds more like for a few hours work (which you know it will take that long :rolleyes: ) you could buy a good used bolt action rifle that will likely never give you a lick of trouble the rest of your life, like some intelligent person mentioned earlier. But I'm sure that was just a coincidence. :smiley_green_with_envy: Of course you will have to get used to some of the disadvantages of a bolt gun though. I mean, who really wants a gun that's lighter, will function no matter how hot or mild the load, and goes B A N G 100% of the time :roflmao3[1]:

Yeah i know. I saw a nice CZ at Turners the other day. I dont remember the model but it had a 28" barrel. Does anyone know which one im talking about?

#29 mjc89

mjc89

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:54 AM

That's interesting that they would send you elsewhere. I sent my wife's rifle back about 6-years ago. Perhaps there has been a corporate shift. Even at $45, why not get it done professionally. The rifle was free, right?

Yeah but think about it. The Labo starts at $45 and he said it could be up to $85. Plus the parts so your looking at around at least $100. Turners has them on sale right now for $150.

#30 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:08 PM

Besides my love for bolt actions (and especially lever guns) there really is a reason I recommend not even dealing with Marlin, especially with one of their cheap (inexpensive) guns. Marlin is NOT the company it used to be. I am a huge Marlin fan, their receivers are much stronger than anything Winchester ever dreamed of putting out. But since Remington has taken over, there is some pure CRAP being turned out (sorry Frank). I didn't want to believe everything I read, so I looked at a bunch in various local stores. :smiley_green_with_envy: It seems to be true. Parts missing, dovetail left empty and not filled in. This part you of all people Red will understand also, their customer is in the same category. Yes, it was a corporate shift, Remington bought them and apparently has a lot of bugs to work out. The (kind of) good news is that it appears to be only the newly acquired Marlin division and not the old Remington division. And to me, some things just aren't worth the haedache. Not saying it's right, just trying to save someone a lot of frustration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users