23 replies to this topic

#1 lenny

lenny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Location:Buena Park, CA............. 17 Coyote kills.. 1 Bob Cat
  • Interests:hunting/offroad racing/drinking beer at the river and drinking beer.

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:11 PM

OK this is a Colt sporter pre ban 20' hbar,Ive shot it with this 6 x 32 handle top mt for a while now but only at 50 to 75 yards,today I took it out and tried to sight it in at over 100 yards,this thing SUCKS know wonder Im missing dogs,I took the scope off to paint so I went back out to resight it and WOW I had know idea it was that bad,Im thinking it might be that the scopes is so high on the handle and Im not sure the way the scope mounts is the best...........just tring to get some feed back.FYI on my buddys 243 today I could shoot 1 1/2 patterns at 150 plus and was shooting 9' PLUS I mean PLUS patterns at 150 tops with this.Attached File  1.jpg   20.55KB   8 downloads

#2 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:39 PM

why not pull the handle off and use a different mount? just a thought.

#3 lenny

lenny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:hunting/offroad racing/drinking beer at the river and drinking beer.

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:48 PM

why not pull the handle off and use a different mount? just a thought.

I dont disagree Im just getting some input or see if some one else has ran in to this problem before I go buy CHIT I dont need.Or do I put this Colt back the way it was and build a AR Yote gun,I bought a Savage Predator 223 bolt and I cant stand the gun but it shoots great just cant stand the Bolt and the Weight.

#4 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,166 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:23 AM

when I had the carbon 15 model flat top I put 1 inch high rings in order to see threw the scope and it did the same thing.I blew 2 easy shots on 2 coyotes and I also could not get it to group all that well so I sold it and got a tikka 223 bolt action.

#5 lenny

lenny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:21 AM

Shoot-It you put 1' taller rings on so you could see over the front sight ?

#6 So. Cal Stag

So. Cal Stag

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Duck hunting, dove hunting, quail hunting, predator hunting, fishing, recreational shooting, anything outdoors. Starting to get into skulls.

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:48 AM

First you need to decide if you want this to be a hunting rifle or a tactical rifle. It's hard to do both with one gun set up the way you have it. For hunting I would ditch the handle and cut off the front sight post. Also alot has to do with the scope. If its a cheep knock off then your not going to get good accuracy. The 1 in scope mount is so you can get your face off the cheek weld a little bit. This is all just my opinion of course.

#7 lenny

lenny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:22 AM

I want to hunt with It but am I better off starting with somthing new..................a new upper...............cutting the ft sight off and put a flat top recever with the 20' 1.7 hbar ????????????????????????????????

#8 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:31 AM

lenny, getting a new upper may be the best way to go. You can get the barrel length, weight and twist rate that you want.You may be able to trade the Savage Predator 223 for a Tikka T3 Lite 223 Rem or a great upper.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#9 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:33 AM

Some of you guys are missing the fact that he can't pull the handle off. It's a fixed handle.So your'e stuck with that kind of scope mount. I've never shot with a scope mounted on the handle like that but I'm sure that has a lot to do with your problems. Is it a decent scope with a decent mount? I don't know. But what I can tell you is that I have a Stag model 4h flat top http://www.stagarms....products_id=245 using a Burris mount http://www.midwayusa...ctnumber=199560 and it shoots 1/2 groups. It's my favorite set up that I own.

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,966 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:53 AM

I thought I was the only guy on here with a registered Colt AR.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#11 fishandhunt4ever

fishandhunt4ever

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:I really love hunting and fishing. I am looking forward to making friends from this web community and share information that can be helpful.

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:41 AM

I know this may sound dumb, but are you sure the scope is tightened correctly on the mount? Next, have you tried shimming it?

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,166 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:58 AM

Shoot-It you put 1' taller rings on so you could see over the front sight ?

I did it so I could put my cheek on the stock and look threw the scope with ease.As for the front post I could not see it looking threw the scope I always wondered about it as to why .I would still like to build another one of these days .

#13 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

I always wondered about it as to why.

You cant see it because it's out of focus.

#14 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

I have shot a couple of Colt's over the years that are more accurate than I am. 9" at 100 or 150 is pretty bad I think. Is the barrel assembly tight to the upper receiver?? Is the scope mounts and rings tight to the carrying handle?? Is the scope any good or is it not holding zero between shots. Is the upper and lower mated pretty good and tight with each other. I would check these kinds of things. I personally think it something like that. Scope height has no affect on accuracy, all it changes is the height between line of sight and line of bore. It also affects head position and cheek weld which can affect the way the rifle fits you and your shooting style, but I do not think it would make 9" of difference. I am just saying I think there is something wrong because I think Colt builds a better rifle than one that is spraying a 9" group at even 200 Yards. With this said I own a Stag Model 6 Super Varminter that came with a 1/2 moa guarantee, that will shoot factory ammo well under 2" at 200 Yards while rapid firing it. It is nice off the bench or if you do not have to walk to far but I think I will be buying me another Stag in a light configuration. I would mess with yours a little bit before I gave up on it if I was you.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#15 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:26 PM

Some of you guys are missing the fact that he can't pull the handle off. It's a fixed handle.

sorry, i figured his had a removable handle. my friend's colt hbar does so i assumed this one did too. i'm not an AR expert, far from it. keep that upper and get you another one with a flat top. maybe even one with an elevated flat top. i have a stag 6h upper that is great, but there are a lot of choices out there so search around and find one that suits your needs.best of luck with your gun.

#16 lenny

lenny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:59 PM

I think im going with a Rock River Preditor upper

#17 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:07 PM

Smart move on the RRA upper. I bought the Coyote 20" upper and it is deadly accurate. It is just as accurate as my buddy's RRA Predator upper. The Predator upper has a much heavier barrel and in my opinion, it's too heavy for field use. Then you'll need a RRA scout rail or this mount from Burris. Then why not do the whole thing right and mount a new Hawke Sidewinder Tactical 4.5-14 X 38 scope with a 30MM tube and an SR6 illuminated reticle. Nothing will escape you. But then you'll have no excuses. :two-cents:
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#18 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:37 PM

The RRA Predator Pursuit with the 20" 1-8" twist barrel works great for me. I have carried it around quite a bit and didn't notice that it was heavy.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#19 lenny

lenny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:18 PM

Ca Dog I think that not a bad Idea on the Coyote barrel with the quad hand guard

#20 lenny

lenny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:17 PM

What do you guys think of these scopes for this new upper,I like the two view scopes,I have trouble finding the target with high power scopes

Attached Files

#21 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:47 PM

If the critter is close enough that you need the $1,200 combination holo sight....wack him with a shotgun. Too may gizmos mean more missed animals. How do I know? Experience. :two-cents: I'm a gizmo freak and it has cost me animals in the past. I soon learned that simpler is better when it comes to snap shooting a coyote.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#22 lenny

lenny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:00 AM

Ok this is what im going to use on top ATN 3x9x50

Attached Files

#23 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:55 PM

I had some accuracy issues with my AR. Two things really tightened up my groups, first, I removed the end cap on the Hogue forend, free-floating the barrel and second, I couldn't get 55 grain ammo to group worth a crap, and I tried several different brands, so I tried some 45 grain Winchester cxp1 jhp and I'm real happy with the groups I get with that ammo. Good luck.

#24 lenny

lenny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

OK this is what I went with.........Bushmaster 20" predator upper I found it at Armtactical.com for $478 to my door and I found the ATN 3x9x50.......should have all the parts by Wed,hope to sight it in Thus and go out this weekend

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users