• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bofus

bofus

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:My interests are hunting in general, last two hunts were wild pig at Fort Hunter Liggett and a buck in the Rubies, Eastern Nevada. I struck out at both. Next will be back to the wild pigs in northern California, probably north of Clear Lake somewhere. I'm determined to get one of these. I'll enter the draw next March for another attempt at a buck here in Nevada. If I draw a tag, the hunt will be fall of 2012. I hope to have a quad by then. Too old to climb those mountains again.

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:19 PM

Hi all, newbie to this forum and I have a request for opinions. I have a Remington 740 semi-auto chambered in .30-06 that was passed down to me through my family. It seems to be in pretty good condition and when the barrel is cold its pretty accurate. It has no scope just iron sights. I'd like to set it up to be used as a wild pig / hog gun. I was thinking that a medium quality red dot sight or holo sight might be just the thing as shots are seldom farther than 100-125 yds.Anyone have any thoughts on this combo?Bofus

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:23 PM

At just 100-125 yards, have you ever tried just using the iron sights or even considered practicing with them? Just as quick, just as simple, and a Hell of a lot cheaper than a red dot. ;)

#3 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

Murphy will see to it that the pigs you see will be at 200 yds......Get a good scope...

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:41 PM

Murphy will see to it that the pigs you see will be at 200 yds......Get a good scope...

I totally agree... Do it right the first time and get a REAL scope. Besides, later on you may end up hunting other game that may require an occasional long shot, say out to 300 yards + / -. Blacktail deer, Black bear & ole wiley coyote are often in the same country as hogs. I had that exact same rifle about a hundred years ago, also passed down through the family... It was a good rifle. Good Luck, and Welcome to the ForumFrank

#5 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

Red dots are cool for shorter ranges. IF THAT IS ALL THAT YOU HUNT. When actually hunting though, you never know for sure what shot you will be presented with.Cant go wrong with a good 3-9 power scope. I always keep my scopes set at the lowest power when hunting. That way if you need to make a quick shot at close range you can aquire the target faster. If you see a pig out there at 200+ yards then turn it up to 9 power and make the shot. Thats what VARIABLE POWER scopes are for.I have a Leupold 4-12 power on my 30-06. Had to make a quick shot at a pig at 30yds and had no trouble with the scope at 4 power
Hic Ego Statio

#6 bofus

bofus

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:My interests are hunting in general, last two hunts were wild pig at Fort Hunter Liggett and a buck in the Rubies, Eastern Nevada. I struck out at both. Next will be back to the wild pigs in northern California, probably north of Clear Lake somewhere. I'm determined to get one of these. I'll enter the draw next March for another attempt at a buck here in Nevada. If I draw a tag, the hunt will be fall of 2012. I hope to have a quad by then. Too old to climb those mountains again.

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

Thanks all for your thoughts. For longer shots I have a Tikka T3 chambered in .30-06 and a Remington 721 chambered in .270. Both with variable powered scopes. Was hoping to use the semi-auto rapid fire to pop off a couple of quick shots at shorter distances. I've been to the range using the 740 and iron sights and it's ok. Just thought maybe the red dot sights or holo sights might be faster aquisition on something that might be moving a bit. Never used a red dot sight. Just thought I'd ask. Most of the terrain that I've hunted pigs in is a bit brushy and long shots aren't the norm, in my experience. But you're right, Murphy does prevail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users