21 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:35 PM

My 223 coyote rifle in a soft case flopped over onto the floor from the cat using it as a scratch pole do you think the scope will still be on.It has a vx1 Leopold on it with stock tikka rings.I am going to shoot and check the poa but what do you guys think the scope will be on or off ?

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

I think I'd try to see if I could hit that cat with it at 50 yards. Solve two problems at once.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:27 PM

Braz, you are a true GENIUS! :)
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#4 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:41 AM

My .204 came with a dealer installed vx1, had a heck of a time keeping it zeroed. Finally took off the scope and rings and used locktite and a wheeler fat wrench to torque everything back down and its been good since then. So I would say it depends on how good the scope is mounted.+2 on Braz's idea.

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:44 AM

50 yards will tell me nothing I will need to go to 100 ............... :smiley-sorry:

#6 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:04 AM

Shoot-it, we NEVER know if a rifle remains on POI, no matter how soft or hard a fall is. Sure, the higher the quaility scope & how well it is mounted helps... a LOT! HOWEVER, even the very best can be thrown off by even the mildest of falls. I've seen it too many times over my nearly 50 years of hunting & target shooting. Just a couple (out of many) experiences. While mule deer hunting one year, a friend of mine was thrown off his horse and landed on his back with his rifle underneath him. He landed on HARD, iced up ground & as hard as concrete. His rifle remained dead on when checked at the range at home.On another deer hunt, a rifle gently slid off a tire and landed on dirt. It could not even hit the target at 100 yards when checked afterwards. A similar incident happened to me with a high quality Leupold & Conetrol mounts & rings when my rifle landed in SOFT dirt from a short fall. It was several inches off at 100 yards. This is also why I will sometimes make a quick trip to the range, just to check zero after a hunting trip, as it seems like I'm always knocking my rifles around to some degree. I would say more times than not they are still dead on. However, they are also off enough times to make me glad I double checked zero.So, there is only one way that I know of to be sure (it's still on). Or just play a game of CHANCE on missing the biggest buck or coyote you'll ever see. As that's when it always happens, right? LOLSorry for the book, and Good LuckFrank

#7 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:38 AM

I once fell down with my rifle slung on my back. The scope clocked me on the noggin when I fell. I figured since I wasn't cut and didn't have a large lump on my skull that it was probably fine. I went to shoot it and was shooting about six inches to the right! It was a good quality fixed power scope that I would never have thought would have had a problem.

#8 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:49 AM

Next time you're out hunting/shooting, before the first stand set a cardboard box (or a pie plate, McDonalds bag, piece of trash etc.) out about a hundred yards, draw a circle with an ink pen or grab a piece of grass or sage and smear a "spot' on it. Get steady on it and take a shot...you'll have your answer.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:17 AM

Excellent point, Ed, and one I forgot about. We have done that exact same thing while out hunting & is an EXCELLENT way to get your answer &/or scope adjusments made quickly. Oh, and btw, one of our rifles was indeed off by several inches on one (coyote hunting) occasion while checking our firearms like this. A coyote later died from this rifle on that trip. LOL Frankp.s. P.O.I can also be thrown off by the rifles just riding in the vehicle. Obviously the better the case, scope & mounts, the better the chance of P.O.I. not changing.

#10 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

Jason you have a hard head...... :D I want some more story's of you guys dropping your rifle or falling on it.I bet you it will still be on for some reason I have faith in this scope we will see.I am going to run out and shoot the rifle at my range you guys know i live on a farm right. :smiley-sorry:

#11 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

I have a thick skull according to my wife.I also ran over a shotgun once during quail season. I cried and went home. It was a bad day.

#12 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:27 PM

OMG, Jason just reminded me of a very nasty fall I had while quail hunting a few years back.As I slipped down a semi steep hillside & getting slammed up & down off the ground, my precious Beretta O/U got knocked out of my hands & went airborn, bouncing off the rocks, brush & ground, all the way to the bottom of a ravine. In shock, I almost gutted myself right then and there.Fortunately the whole scene LOOKED worse than it was, although definitely adding several new "character" marks on the shotgun. I just knew I was going to break a leg or arm. My friend came over in a horrified look & asked, "if the shotgun was ok"... AND all the while with me looking as if I had just been dragged behind a pickup truck.I guess he figured that I would heal. Frank

#13 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:46 AM

Sooo, try it on the cat closer :014: , than shoot some paper to see were it's shooting :two-cents:

#14 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:41 PM

Posted Imagemy kitty shoots back............

#15 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:58 PM

my kitty shoots back............

Yeah, my neighborhood is overrun with a bunch of cats like thatPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#16 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:57 PM

the 223 is still on a little off to the left but still coyote at 100 yards not bad for a rifle that was in a tractor bouncing around all week to.I will fine tune it one of these days.Posted ImageI re did my bench cut new ply would sealed it etc and put down a slab of contrete for it to sit on.I still have a friend that complains now he says the table should be higher or the seat lower........ some people.Posted Image

#17 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:16 PM

Back about '85 my rifle with a weaver V16 fell over, while in a soft case. and the internals of the scope broke. Sent it in for repair and now it still works OK.Yeah, I know that a few of you weren't born then.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#18 chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, music, cooking.

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:43 AM

shoot-it: tell him he can bring is own shooting bench then... seriously, some people.for as clumsy as i am the only things i've ever really dropped have been my shotguns. one time while duck hunting i dropped my beretta in a muddy puddle. i picked it up, blew it out and hunted with it.

#19 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:37 PM

I am too ashamed to tell you that I dropped my 6mm Remmy off a shooting stand and bent the #@$%^&*(&^% out of the scope. I was just glassing and doing my thing...went to grab my rifle and OOOPS. Two days of denial brought me to call Red and buy a really nice Hawke....Red did it from afar I bet! :roflmao3[1]:

#20 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:41 PM

what kind of scope was it.Just about any scope will bend if you smack it hard enough.It's good to check POA with just a minor flop on the floor in a soft case you never know!

#21 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:31 PM

Thats a good range Shoot-it I might have to come up and test it out one of these days.

#22 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

Just let me know when your ready.That rope on the leg is used to tie up the dog that swims across the river to the right every time I shoot she piss's me off always jumping in front of the scope.It's a golden retriever she must love to hunt or just have the blood line in her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users