Photo

Can I use my 18.5" barrel mossberg 500A to Hunt wild bore Legally?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Haron

Haron

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:48 AM

This is a registered Home defense Shot gun that I bought for that purpose originally, but now I want to hunt. It is a 12 gauge Mossberg 500A and has a mag tube capacity of 7 + 1. I would like to go on a hog hunt soon but cant afford any other guns. So I was wondering:1. Can I legally use this gun to hunt?2. If it is legal is the 18.5 in barrel going to get the job done???all replies and advice are appreciated. thank you

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:06 AM

You'll have to limit the shell capacity to three to hunt any game animal such as pigs. The barrel length question would be best answered at the range to see how it shoots the ammo you will be using.

#3 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

Yes you can use it. But like John said, you need to plug the mag tube so that you can only fit 2 shells in it. 2 in the mag and 1 in the chamber is the limit. Barrel is legal, just go practice shooting slugs out of it. You cannot use BUCKSHOT. You may need to shoot lead-free slugs depending on the area you are hunting. Make sure you have a good recoil pad, slugs really put a whoopin on your shoulder.I used to shoot about an 8-10" group at 100yds out of my smooth-bore with rifled slugs. Your realistic range will be pretty limited with this set up. Probably wouldnt shoot at a hog any further than about 75yds.Then I bought a Rifled barrel with a scope for $199 from cabelas. Now I shoot 2" groups @ 100yds with Sabot slugs. With practice you should be able to shoot hogs out to 200yds.Here is the barrel/scope combo. It is an easy swap for your mossy, and cheaper than buying a new rifle.http://www.cabelas.c...ch-All ProductsHere is my slug setup.Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 whatjeffhunts

whatjeffhunts

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:24 AM

There is a gun in that pic?

#5 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:42 PM

With that tube capitacy, you might have a hard time finding a barrel that fits. I have the same gun in a 20" barrel and couldn't find one. I choose to get the barrel machined for chokes, and it is quite a nice field gun now. It does look funny with all that tube and only two shells in it.

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:05 PM

I never understood that law. I can hunt hogs with my Remington semi-auto that hold five rounds but if I want to use my slug gun I'm only allowed three. How much sense does that make? :WTF_1:

#7 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:32 PM

You might want to double check that. This is what I found.(:) Shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing single slugs may be used for the taking of deer, bear and wild pigs. In areas where the discharge of rifles or shotguns with slugs is prohibited by county ordinance, shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing size 0 or 00 buckshot may be used for the taking of deer only.

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:42 PM

Oops. My post should've said "Remington semi-auto rifle". That's the part that doesn't make sense to me. A rifle isn't held to the same capacity restrictions even though they both are firing a single projectile.

#9 beniflas

beniflas

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:59 PM

There is a gun in that pic?

The first thing that came to my mind was "spot and stalk"

#10 fishandhunt4ever

fishandhunt4ever

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:I really love hunting and fishing. I am looking forward to making friends from this web community and share information that can be helpful.

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

You can use wooden dowels from home depot to plug it. Don't buy the size that will barely squeeze in in case you want to take out the plug.

#11 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:43 AM

You can use wooden dowels from home depot to plug it. Don't buy the size that will barely squeeze in in case you want to take out the plug.

You need to buy the size that fits inside the magazine spring (like the factory plugs). If you buy one that is big enough to plug the whole diameter of the mag tube, your spring will not compress properly.

#12 Haron

Haron

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:32 AM

Wow you guys!!! thanks 9 times! you all gave me very useful input. the wooden dowel makes perfect sense. Just a few days ago i was pondering how i'd solve the barrel capacity problem as i was already aware of that just thought it was 3 + 1. but 2+ 1 is equally effed up. LOL. and special thanks to Dirtydave. i have been thinking of getting another barrel for a while. That 24" with a scope for $200 can not be beat! I'll just hold off on my hex receiver Mosin Nagant and spend the 2bills on that new barrel and scope set up, that way i can consider this gun complete before I move on to another project.Btw I was a lil lazy about editing a photo to get it down to the 1 k limit when originally posting but here it is... ahhh My Baby ;) Attached File  1.jpg   6.79KB   6 downloads

#13 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:46 AM

When I was a kid my grandfather, my dad, and I went hunting for birds. My grandfather realized his shotgun didn't have the plug in it. He pulled a stick off a tree, whittled it down, and hunted the rest of the day with no problem. The gun was stolen a few years later but that same stick was inside it functioning fine then.

#14 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:28 AM

Had to do that last Friday night for one of the kids. Damn rookie never checked it. At least we did. We now call him "Prospect". Just have to make sure they can't break it when they check. And they do push pretty hard just for that reason.

#15 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:33 PM

Wow you guys!!! thanks 9 times! you all gave me very useful input. the wooden dowel makes perfect sense. Just a few days ago i was pondering how i'd solve the barrel capacity problem as i was already aware of that just thought it was 3 + 1. but 2+ 1 is equally effed up. LOL. and special thanks to Dirtydave. i have been thinking of getting another barrel for a while. That 24" with a scope for $200 can not be beat! I'll just hold off on my hex receiver Mosin Nagant and spend the 2bills on that new barrel and scope set up, that way i can consider this gun complete before I move on to another project.Btw I was a lil lazy about editing a photo to get it down to the 1 k limit when originally posting but here it is... ahhh My Baby ;) Attached File  1.jpg   6.79KB   6 downloads

Looking at your gun now, the barrel I posted will not work on your gun. Your Mag tube is too long. You would have to get a standard length mag tube so the barrel will fit. Might be more trouble than its worth.Honestly, a Mosin would make a better Pig gun than a 12ga slug-gun. I have both and only use the 12ga if I am in an area that prohibits the use of a rifle.Mosin has cheaper ammo, even lead free is about $2 per round. Pretty much standard for a large rifle cartridge. The Privi 150gr SP's are only about $15 a box. 12ga Lead-free sabot slugs are about $3 per round.My Mosin was a Big5 $100 rifle that I built into this. Its a proven pig killer. http://www.californi...showtopic=21651

#16 Haron

Haron

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

Ohhh. Now I see. Tony D tried to point that out too. Well glad u clarified that saved me a headache. Btw I tried to post a link for some ideas for ur mosin on trigger pull and a muzzle break but when I pasted the link in and hit "add reply a pop up cam up saying it had to be reviewed by a moderator 1st. Am I ding something wrong. Sorry ima new guy

#17 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:12 AM

I put felt on the ends of an old carbon arrow and use it for a plug. Fits right in and the felt on the ends keeps it quiet when it slides back and forth.

#18 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:58 AM

I thought the 3 shell rule was for up land game.I found this on the dfg.( Shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing single slugs may be used for the taking of deer, bear and wild pigs. In areas where the discharge of rifles or shotguns with slugs is prohibited by county ordinance, shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing size 0 or 00 buckshot may be used for the taking of deer only.I answered my own question..........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users