11 replies to this topic

#1 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:37 PM

Just a quick update on a recent adventure of mine. The bluefin tuna supposedly have been biting like crazy off of the coast of Mexico and boats where pulling in limits of 15 to 30 pound tunas with an occasional 40 pounder. Well this weekend was one of my last ones off with work and school going into full swing leaving me with just about 0 days off between now and Thanksgiving (except for a deer hunting trip I have planned later this month) I decided to bite the bullet and travel to San Diego and take a charter boat with 39 of my new best friends aboard the Sea Adventure II. We all had high hopes of catching the big one and set sail Thursday night at 10 pm to arrive at the fishing grounds 60 miles out off the coast of Mexico. At sunrise everyone was hustling and getting things together before the crew was even awake. We had thousands of fish under the boat at 50 to 250 feet and we could see them jumping out of the water all around us chasing bait, this was destined to be a great trip.However the fish weren't coming to the surface for our baits and with so many lines in the water you had to dance around unweaving your line from everyone elses as the boat drifted around the Mexican tuna seiners fish holds. I decided to throw a jig to get into the deeper water and to avoid some tangles between myself and the other fishermen. I chose a glow in the dark white and pink squid looking jig and proceeded to bounce it up and down in front of the fish. It worked! At first light I managed to get my first Bluefin Tuna on my 30 pound test fishing setup. I couldn't believe it. The fight wasn't a drag burning chest pounding adrenaline rush like so many had said probably because my fish was maybe 20 pounds. But it was no slouch either. The fish hit the jig and at first I wasnt sure if I had a fish on or not. Then the pole bent downwards and the line was coming in faster then it was going out, a good sign for any fisherman, once the fish got closer to the surface it decided that it wanted to come running around the bow of the boat. I started yelling for a gaff and dancing around the other fisherman and their lines making sure my fish wasn't going to get tangled in a mess when the deck hand arrived just in time to gaff the fish. They stapled my number onto its gill plate and but it in the freeze box and I was at it again.We made countless drifts around schools of fish but the bite died. It was as quick as a light bulb going on then off. We must have been surrounded my 20 plus boats everyone trying to get there prize but with 8 fish on board the captain decided to troll around the area in hopes of raising the fish to the surface. The trolling was basically a joy ride as the fish where not biting at all. We trolled till about 2pm then the captain said that we where heading in. I decided to hit my bunk and rest as I hadn't slept well on the way in and I figured the fishing wasn't going to get better. I didn't agree with the captains choice of fishing techniques but at least I had caught my first bluefin tuna. We got back to our landing at around 7 in the evening I woke up in time to get a sunset picture and was as refreshed as I could be for my 2 hour drive home.It was a nice trip but I hope the next one the fish decided to cooperate. Till next time.

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:49 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:24 PM

Nice job! At least you can say you didn't get skunked! Hopefully if you get to go some other time the fish will be hitting the baits better.

#4 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,735 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:14 AM

Cool stuff.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#5 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:26 AM

Congrats on getting your fish . I have been thinking about getting out there too but looking more at the 1 1/2 - 2day as they seem to be getting am & later pm bites and the over nighters only get the am bite . I just don't like being on a boat that long any more . Andy

#6 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:54 AM

I think next time I go it will be a 2 or 2.5 day trip. 976-tuna has some deals online but I was happy for my first California tuna trip. Next time I would probably book a less crowded boat. Live and learn.

#7 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:59 PM

No weekends is my #1 rule . My go after the 12th . Most kids back in school / vacations done . Understand your time was VERY limited . But even with 30 , fishing is doable . I learned the " hard way " too . Boats ( 2) claimed limited #s . One boat we were at the dock & saw # 32 get onto the boat but the next AM there were 44/6 sacks up . Turns out the boat had family & friends on the boat that no one knew about . 2nd boat said 28 . It was 36/8 total . Same as before . Friends / family . . I just do not use those boats anymore . I did talk to the people I did not see get on the boat . Got there early as poss . but they were there after fueling / getting bait . They also said who they were . If I do go I am going to take 15 , 25 , 40 , 60 # rigs . 60 for wide open , 40 if they bite , 25 pick bite , 15 when they wont take 25 / plunker bite . Have no problem popping off a fish if the boat is waiting for me . Thats another thing I don't like about the party boats , they gaff everything . I am saying " pop it " ( break the line ) & they gaff it . Pisses me off . I do tell them before hand too . They can get caught up in the moment running around . When I went for Barracuda out of Redondo , I stopped at 5 fish . That's what I knew would get used / eaten , so I stopped & watched everyone else fish . It was still fun . Then I caught some A hole trying to put his fish in my sack . Fkn Dkhead !!!!! I was asked by deckhand & captain " why wasnt I fishing ? caught what I needed . " But the boats like the #s . I love to fish . Do not need to " take " , can C&R alllll day . If applicable ( not swallowed , etc ) .but maybe thats just me , Andy

#8 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

I try to fish when I can. If all I have is a weekend then so be it. But I would rather fish, hunt etc during the weekday to avoid the crowds. I've noticed on most boats the fish counts are never accurate. They may be close but non of the crew is really counting unless the limit is approaching. In regards to keeping limits of fish I really don't have a problem with it as I will freeze it and eat or give it away but I also practice catch and release. It depends on the mood I'm in. I just make sure I don't waste what ever I bring home. From what I have been reading 20 and 15lb test seem to be the best because of the picky bite. 60 is nice if you plan on trolling too. We didnt spend enough time for me to wet my 20lb outfit as the captain wanted to troll which was a bummer. I would rather soak bait and wait around then just wait around for 1 of 4 lines to go off and have 40 guys fighting to pick it up. Another thing I have been thinking about is just driving into Mexico and then renting a boat from there that way you spend more time fishing and less time driving the boat. These 2 day tuna trips out of Long Beach seem like a waste of time especially compared to leaving out of San Diego. 6 to 10 knots for 100 miles eats up a lot of time. Let us know how you do when you get out there.good luck.

#9 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:54 AM

I'm heading to Cabo for dorado, marlin and if tuna are biting, but my trip is planned for mid-Nov
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#10 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:30 PM

good luck! That should be a blast. :signgreatreport3kg:

#11 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:33 PM

Sorry you didn't pull in more on your trip. At least the Mexican pirates didn't mess with you.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#12 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:11 PM

Surprisingly the Mexican Navy wasn't there apparently when the tuna bite starts they are making sure people are behaving from what I understand. First I heard of it was when I was on the boat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users