14 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:39 AM

why do people put spaghetti strainer brakes on rifles what a person can't take a kick from a 300 mag.I shot my friends rifle this morning on my range and forgot to put in the ear plugs it felt like a sharp bomb when off in my left ear.That really scared me my ear is still ringing and that was at 7 am this morning. :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: :roflmao3[1]: ok I had to come on here and complain I feel a little better now.....

#2 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:25 AM

That's not good.I've got constant tinnitus from a single, foolish, session of target shooting heavy caliber handguns with no ear protection 53 years ago! Now I can't tell if someone left the water running because that is the sound I constantly hear, even if I stick my fingers in my ear. LOL! I had a sprinkler pipe break and water was running for hours right outside the house but I had no clue.Trying to have a conversation in a noisy room (restaurant, party, whatever) is nearly impossible because my ears can't separate one voice from all of the room noise. Once that damage is done, you're toast. Hope some young shooters will read this and become very careful about their hearing. The only thing worse might be shooting without eye protection but, for some reason, folks understand that danger more readily.
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:54 AM

I have bad hearing, especially in my right ear (caused at work). It is embarrassing, as I am constantly saying "what" to folks. Often times I just pretend to hear.Anyway, when BADCOYOTE and I were coyote hunting last week, I had "company" in one of my stands. When I stood up, the snake inside the bush I was sitting next to started rattling. I could not hear it while I was standing right next to it, but BADCOYOTE could hear it at approx 15 yards from me, & yelling at me. It was then I could hear the snake's rattle (after BADCOYOTE'S warning). Geezzz!The bush was thick & semi-large, as we tried finding the snake (to murder), but could not see him. That was an old stand too, that I have used for years. Now I'm not so sure, as I hate un-invited guests. Ugh!Frank

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

You dont get many chances to save the old ears. I have run heavy equipment for many years, and have been lucky that I havent damaged my hearing to a major extent. When I target shoot, or multple shots such as Ground rats, and Hand guns I always use hearing protection. When hunting I normally dont,"depending upon the weapon Im shooting" The Mini 14 gets ear plugs, hand guns get ear plugs, "specially that 14" 223 Contender! LOL These little reminders from you other shooters are good to read about. It makes me more aware of how preciuos hearing actually is. Once its gone... well that is redundant.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#5 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

An important thing to remember is that hearing damage is cumulative and permanent. Thanks for the reminder.

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:07 PM

The ringing has stopped thank god for that.I to always try to use ear plugs when around heavy equipment etc, and save my hearing.I will always remember to plug my ears around this rifle that's for sure.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,321 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:37 PM

You wear ear protection anytime you fire a weapon. Foam ear plugs are a minimum from someone who knows better. What was that? :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:00 PM

Huh?? What?

#9 airgunny

airgunny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:20 PM

I'm guilty of the same in my younger years.I've never considered a 12 Ga or centerfire pistol loud.To this day I whale on my drum kit full blast without plugs.On the flip side, I wear phones at work using grindersor even a shop vac. :drool: Duh :yahoo: Kids, listen to your elders, hearing doesn't regenerate.
weapons are nothing but tools to be used properly. like any other tool.

#10 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:25 PM

It sounds like alot of us are of the age that our parents had never worn ear protection. when I was younger Id wear them it target shooting, but never thought of wearing them on the tractor, and never while hunting. now I wear the electronic headphone style. I can turn them up and actually hear better. I used to have an Ivor Johnson 22 pistol that had such a sharp crack that one extended shooting sesion left me unable to hear for several weeks. after a visit to the doctor I learned to cover those ears every time . DR

#11 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:56 PM

Once at the indoor pistol range, I forgot my ear plugs while shooting a 50 cal revoler, I think it was a S & W , anyway it was louder then hell inside the booth, never do that again, on the flip side I just don't wear any plugs whlle I'm hunting, mostly with the 12 ga, sometimes the 30:06

#12 airgunny

airgunny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:51 PM

The stupidest thing I ever did was shoot 30 rounds outa' my AR-15without earplugs/phones just to see what it was like.Very sharp crack unlike any other caliber..30M1 carbine is almost like an airgun my comparison.
weapons are nothing but tools to be used properly. like any other tool.

#13 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,231 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:03 PM

Even a 22 pistol is bad on the ears.I bought a 500 piece ear plug set and I always keep them with my shooting gear.So how many hunters use a break and what do your hunting partners think about it they must hate it.When I big game hunt i don't use anything either but that is like one or 2 shots from a regular barrel and I never notice it.

#14 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:13 PM

YOU may not notice it, but your ears do. Wear one of the electonic muffs, as was mentioned, and you can actually hear better with no damage. Take it from one who wears hearing aids and still can't hear. I can't hardly talk on the phone and when I have to go to the doctor I take my wife with me to be sure I understand everything said. Believe me, you don't want to go through that!
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#15 oz_fox_hunter

oz_fox_hunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Hunting feral pest species, riding motorbikes,

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:44 PM

Except for 22LR shooting subs, I always wear ear protection when hunting. At a minimum those little yellow foam ear plugs loosely fitted will take the edge off the crack of a rimfire, and it doesn't take much effort to push them in tight before a shot when hunting with a centrefire. Tried hunting with the muffs a few times but after a couple of hours they became unbearable to wear. Other reason for ear plugs is when calling foxes the sound of the fox whistle hurts my ears.When target shooting with the centrefires I'll wear foam plugs under the electronic muffs. After seeing my dad loose a good part of his hearing from being careless, I took the lesson on board. So far my hearing hasn't degraded to much besides what you'd normally expect with age.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users