#1 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Fishing shooting History and eating what I catch or shoot

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

I've decided I need a rangefinder but I have no experience with them. Any advice on which brands, models, features, etc. to look for? Also where to buy?

#2 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:37 PM

Really depends on how much you want to spend and what you are going to use it for.You can go top of the line and get a Leica, or low budget and get a Bushnell. Some are made specifically for archery, and some for long range rifle work.Personally I use a Nikon Riflehunter 550 for both archery and rifle hunting (heck, I even bring it on the golf course), and it has never let me down. I've compared it side by side to my calibrated Leica Disto high precision rangefinder I use for work (accurate to 1.5mm @ 100 meters), and it always gives readings within a yard of actual.Wait?? You've been a member since '08 and this is your first post ?!?! You get the lurking award...Shop around and look for sales. I bought mine at Bass Pro when they had a sale on them years ago.

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:51 PM

Get one that has more range than you think you need. They are rated based on how far out they can range a reflective target, like a car or a big rock. So a 1000 yard range finder may only be able to pick up a deer out to 600 yards or a ground squirrel standing on his mound out to 450. If they're further than the effective range then you have to find a good rock or tree to range. More expensive finders will probably do better but that is what you can expect from something like my Bushnell.

#4 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

Thanks Clampdaddy and Baja Traveler. I appreciate your input.. I got started on this subject when I was looking through the latest Midway catalogs I received. They had a Bushnell 1000 ARC for $299 and a Bushnell 1200 ARC for $349. They also listed a Leica CRF Rangemaster for $599. I'd like to shop Cabelas too because I have a good credit with Cabelas. So far, I haven't seen any rangefinders in my Cabelas catalogs. Maybe I'll have to take a trip up to Boomtown and shop the real Cabelas Shop. So you have any further comments? RAP

#5 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:48 PM

If possible, save your nickels and buy a Lieca. You will never be sorry.http://www.cabelas.c...ch-All Products

#6 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:21 AM

Look at Leupold or Redfield. I bought a used Leupold from a guy here and got a deal. But somehow the rangefinder got messed up. I called Leupold and they said send it back, we'll fix it. Two weeks later a brand new rangefinder on was my doorstep. I called and got briefed on all the stuff not in the manual. Customer service, outstanding product and a valuable tool. Leupold is now making and selling Redfield and the optics are way better than Leupold, IMHO.For prices look at Optics Planet. Usually beats everyone else.

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:37 AM

Get one that has more range than you think you need.

YEP, I agree.... I also think Rimrock makes a good point for the Lieca. Reason I say that is, one of my primary hunting partners has a bushnell. Probably one of the models you mention as it was around $300...While it is a nice range finder, I sometimes find it very lacking at the extended ranges, perhaps at 400 yards and further?? Inconsistent, or no readings, probably due to not getting on a large enough object such as a tree or rock as mentioned above.Also, Optics Planet is indeed an excellent place to shop &/or compare prices. Anyway, good luck Frank

#8 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:56 PM

Ahoy all. Many thanks for all the advice. I checked out the Optics Planet site and found they had the Leica at the same price as Cabela's. I decided to go big and order the Leica from Cabela's and use up the credit I had with them. The credit took a lot of the pain out of the purchase. Sharpshooter

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

Dang... Didn't know you were gonna take us to heart on this. LOL (just kidding)Congrats on your fine purchaseFrank

#10 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

Congratulations on the purchase. You won't be disappointed. Frank and I agree on most things. Well, maybe not on Rem.......... :)

#11 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:30 PM

Be VERY careful Sharpshooter, or Frank will definitely have you using up even more of that card on a new Remington also (not that that's a bad thing) :) He is surely right about the Bushnell. I have had and used mine for too many years, but she can be a little finicky on certain days at extended ranges. But I'm half blind and can't shoot very far anyways. Let us know how your new Leica works out after trying it.

#12 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:37 AM

I am glad you didn't buy a Bushnell. I did and I regret it. I will never buy a product from them again. Talk about poor customer service...they could care less. I only used my Bushnell rangefinder a couple of times and it failed. It was just out of warranty and Bushnell told me to stuff it. Let's face it, a rangefinder is not something that dies from over use or wearing out. When we pay $300 or more for a product, we expect it to work for a while. There is no personal touch to Bushnell's customer service. It's corporate treatment all the way. That means the almighty $$ is the bottom line. If you are 1-day out of their warranty period, you can suck rocks for all they care. Yup, I am still pissed at them. The unit still looked like it just came out of the box and they sent it back and told me it was trash. :two-cents:

#13 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:12 AM

Yeah, Bushnell customer service is pretty lousy. I just bought a Nikon Monarch Gold 1200 rangefinder for $350 delivered from Amazon. Supposed to be a good unit. I'll give it a try when we're out tomorrow.

#14 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:47 PM

Well good luck with it. I hope it works great. I am still without a rangefinder.

#15 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:55 AM

Well, UPS dropped off my new toy yesterday and I'm going to take it outside and figure out how to use it. I was concerned that the instruction manual had about 150 pages but turns out only 18 pages were in English. That's still a lot of pages for this poor old feller to understand. Holy Mackeral, this thing will give me range, temperature, atmospheric pressure, angle of inclination, and holdover. I'll be a busy boy learning how to use this thing.

#16 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

Holy Mackeral, this thing will give me range, temperature, atmospheric pressure, angle of inclination, and holdover. I'll be a busy boy learning how to use this thing.

Does it have AM/FM and a cd player too?

#17 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:13 PM

Don't be silly.... Of course it does. :smiley-sorry:

#18 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:37 PM

I'm not worried about listening to Rush or CDs. I'm still trying to get it to read in yards, inches and fahrenheit temperature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users