#1 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Fishing shooting History and eating what I catch or shoot

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

I've decided I need a rangefinder but I have no experience with them. Any advice on which brands, models, features, etc. to look for? Also where to buy?

#2 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:37 PM

Really depends on how much you want to spend and what you are going to use it for.You can go top of the line and get a Leica, or low budget and get a Bushnell. Some are made specifically for archery, and some for long range rifle work.Personally I use a Nikon Riflehunter 550 for both archery and rifle hunting (heck, I even bring it on the golf course), and it has never let me down. I've compared it side by side to my calibrated Leica Disto high precision rangefinder I use for work (accurate to 1.5mm @ 100 meters), and it always gives readings within a yard of actual.Wait?? You've been a member since '08 and this is your first post ?!?! You get the lurking award...Shop around and look for sales. I bought mine at Bass Pro when they had a sale on them years ago.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:51 PM

Get one that has more range than you think you need. They are rated based on how far out they can range a reflective target, like a car or a big rock. So a 1000 yard range finder may only be able to pick up a deer out to 600 yards or a ground squirrel standing on his mound out to 450. If they're further than the effective range then you have to find a good rock or tree to range. More expensive finders will probably do better but that is what you can expect from something like my Bushnell.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#4 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

Thanks Clampdaddy and Baja Traveler. I appreciate your input.. I got started on this subject when I was looking through the latest Midway catalogs I received. They had a Bushnell 1000 ARC for $299 and a Bushnell 1200 ARC for $349. They also listed a Leica CRF Rangemaster for $599. I'd like to shop Cabelas too because I have a good credit with Cabelas. So far, I haven't seen any rangefinders in my Cabelas catalogs. Maybe I'll have to take a trip up to Boomtown and shop the real Cabelas Shop. So you have any further comments? RAP

#5 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:48 PM

If possible, save your nickels and buy a Lieca. You will never be sorry.http://www.cabelas.c...ch-All Products

#6 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:21 AM

Look at Leupold or Redfield. I bought a used Leupold from a guy here and got a deal. But somehow the rangefinder got messed up. I called Leupold and they said send it back, we'll fix it. Two weeks later a brand new rangefinder on was my doorstep. I called and got briefed on all the stuff not in the manual. Customer service, outstanding product and a valuable tool. Leupold is now making and selling Redfield and the optics are way better than Leupold, IMHO.For prices look at Optics Planet. Usually beats everyone else.

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:37 AM

Get one that has more range than you think you need.

YEP, I agree.... I also think Rimrock makes a good point for the Lieca. Reason I say that is, one of my primary hunting partners has a bushnell. Probably one of the models you mention as it was around $300...While it is a nice range finder, I sometimes find it very lacking at the extended ranges, perhaps at 400 yards and further?? Inconsistent, or no readings, probably due to not getting on a large enough object such as a tree or rock as mentioned above.Also, Optics Planet is indeed an excellent place to shop &/or compare prices. Anyway, good luck Frank

#8 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:56 PM

Ahoy all. Many thanks for all the advice. I checked out the Optics Planet site and found they had the Leica at the same price as Cabela's. I decided to go big and order the Leica from Cabela's and use up the credit I had with them. The credit took a lot of the pain out of the purchase. Sharpshooter

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

Dang... Didn't know you were gonna take us to heart on this. LOL (just kidding)Congrats on your fine purchaseFrank

#10 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

Congratulations on the purchase. You won't be disappointed. Frank and I agree on most things. Well, maybe not on Rem.......... :)

#11 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:30 PM

Be VERY careful Sharpshooter, or Frank will definitely have you using up even more of that card on a new Remington also (not that that's a bad thing) :) He is surely right about the Bushnell. I have had and used mine for too many years, but she can be a little finicky on certain days at extended ranges. But I'm half blind and can't shoot very far anyways. Let us know how your new Leica works out after trying it.

#12 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:37 AM

I am glad you didn't buy a Bushnell. I did and I regret it. I will never buy a product from them again. Talk about poor customer service...they could care less. I only used my Bushnell rangefinder a couple of times and it failed. It was just out of warranty and Bushnell told me to stuff it. Let's face it, a rangefinder is not something that dies from over use or wearing out. When we pay $300 or more for a product, we expect it to work for a while. There is no personal touch to Bushnell's customer service. It's corporate treatment all the way. That means the almighty $$ is the bottom line. If you are 1-day out of their warranty period, you can suck rocks for all they care. Yup, I am still pissed at them. The unit still looked like it just came out of the box and they sent it back and told me it was trash. :two-cents:
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#13 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:12 AM

Yeah, Bushnell customer service is pretty lousy. I just bought a Nikon Monarch Gold 1200 rangefinder for $350 delivered from Amazon. Supposed to be a good unit. I'll give it a try when we're out tomorrow.

#14 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:47 PM

Well good luck with it. I hope it works great. I am still without a rangefinder.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#15 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:55 AM

Well, UPS dropped off my new toy yesterday and I'm going to take it outside and figure out how to use it. I was concerned that the instruction manual had about 150 pages but turns out only 18 pages were in English. That's still a lot of pages for this poor old feller to understand. Holy Mackeral, this thing will give me range, temperature, atmospheric pressure, angle of inclination, and holdover. I'll be a busy boy learning how to use this thing.

#16 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

Holy Mackeral, this thing will give me range, temperature, atmospheric pressure, angle of inclination, and holdover. I'll be a busy boy learning how to use this thing.

Does it have AM/FM and a cd player too?

#17 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:13 PM

Don't be silly.... Of course it does. :smiley-sorry:

#18 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:37 PM

I'm not worried about listening to Rush or CDs. I'm still trying to get it to read in yards, inches and fahrenheit temperature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users