4 replies to this topic

#1 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:44 PM

My AR15 has been nothing but a joy to shoot when I have the time to do so.I am now contemplating taking advantage of its modularity with a second caliber upper. I am currently looking at the 6.5 grendel and the 6.8 SPC. Neither of these calibers are set in stone. In the here and now, who likes which one and why?

#2 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:28 AM

I went with the 6.8 SPCII because I can get un-leaded ammo for it semi-locally for a decent price. I also reload for it now and have been impressed with it from muzzle to 500+or- yards ( the local range has steel targets that one of the range guys said is 500yds but another guy told me 480). I've only shot a rabbit with it so far and it makes instant rabbit foot keychains lol. Hopefully I'll have yote blood on it here in the near future and will post results.

#3 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

It depends on what you are looking for in a secondary upper. The 6.5 is a great round for longer shots. It shoots flatter than the 6.8, but the bullet choices are slimmer. The 6.8 is a great "thumper" round. It's a 300yd round.......period. It drops off quite fast depending upon bullet weight. I shoot the 6.8 SPC at night for a reason. It drops animals in their tracks. It's surely not a 500yd gun. I set mine to 0 at 200yds and at 300 it's 3 to 4 inches low. I don't even know what it does at 400 and 500, nor do I care. I shoot 110 vmax, 90 speer TnT, or 85 TSX. I like the lower weights in 6.8 for flatter shooting. The mass produced 115gr stuff shoots good, but looses trajectory even faster. Also, if reloading, go with the SSA or Barret brass and the small rifle primer. The Remington brass with large rifle primers are not nearly as consistent out of my 700.

#4 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:00 PM

I went with the 6.5 Grendel and I read where Alexander Arms has given up their copyright so that others will be able to build their 6.5 Grendels. In the next year or two we should be seeing more 6.5 Grendels being offered.

#5 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:51 PM

The 6.5 Grendel has recently been SAAMI approved. Hornady is now marketing factory loaded ammunition. The Grendel has many more bullet choices than the 6.8 caliber but until recently there were not a lot of factory loaded choices. If you reload, the Grendel is a better choice and with the SAAMI approval, there will be more rifle manufactures and probably ammunition companies jumping on the Grendel train.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users