Photo

Ammunition types for a Marlin 81-DL-.22?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:46 PM

I inherited a Marlin 81-DL-.22-S-L-LR rifle that was my Grandfather's. I've cleaned it up and I have only shot the Remington .22 LR Brass Plated Hollow Points (typical rounds you can get at Big 5) from this rifle and know that these will work and shoot fairly well out of this rifle. However, I was wondering if there were any of you out there who also own this particular rifle and have shot other types of bullets through yours and what your experience with them was. Also, are there any .22 caliber rounds that should NOT be shot out of this rifle? I know there are not that many different "model" (type/name brand like Yellow Jacket, etc.) of bullets for .22 Rimfires, but being new to guns in general I thought I would ask since I haven't found much information after searching on the internet for awhile about what ammo this gun will shoot safely. Thanks!

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,769 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

If the gun was designed to shoot 22 short, long and long rifle, then I would think it will shoot any of the brands out there. I would stay away away from stingers though, as they may be too hot. I just shot this weekend in a rimfire match, were folks were using semi-automatic pistols and semi-automatic rifles. The one type of ammunition that was causing problems was Remington. We saw no other ammunition related problems. There were folks having other problems but for ammo related it was just that danged Remington ammo. Stay away from it. Just too many misfires.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:44 PM

Thanks for that information! I know this may be a dumb question, but can you use .22 wildcat in this gun? What about .22 magnum? The main reason I'm asking is that I read somewhere that I could use this rifle for predator hunting (Coyote or Bobcat), even though I would have to make sure and make a great head shot at a decently close range to take them down good and proper. I don't have a more powerful gun at this time, though I am saving for a .270win. As far as the typical ammo, I'll take your advice and try some of the other brands/manufacturers to see how they perform in my gun in the future. Thanks again for the info!

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,769 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:49 PM

I'm not familiar with the wildcat so can't comment. I shoot mostly the federal's that you can buy in boxes of 525 rounds or any of the CCI's. DO NOT attempt to shoot 22 magnum. they won't fit, because you have a 22 rifle, not a 22 magnum rifle. No, don't use the 22 for coyote or bobcat hunting. It just doesn't have enough of what it takes for shooting an animal of that size. Will it kill them? Sure, but it will also kill a cow, that is what a lot of butchers use. But only under very limited circumstances, so don't use it.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#5 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:21 PM

Understood. I'll get a different rifle for predator hunting and I'll keep the .22 for smaller game and varmints. Plus, I'll always keep in anyway since it was my Grandfather's and I'll hopefully pass it down to my kid and so on. I'll definitely try some other brands of LR ammo though and hone my shooting skills.

#6 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:39 PM

Heres a DL I redid for a friend. His had a barrel that was so shot out that I could only faintly see rifling. so I relined it to 17M2. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageGreat walnut stock. and a great shooter. I also have a couple of marlin 25s, and a marlin 80. same basic gun with differant trim levels.mine will shoot most ammo but you will have to try several to find what yours likes best. I do shoot CCI stingers from mine and from two of them I get exelint accuracy. it also is devistating on ground squirrels. but only under 70 yds. after that I shoot Eley Match.Posted Image

#7 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:27 AM

It looks like you did a real nice job on your friends rifle and the other two you own look nice too. I noticed that all of those are magazine fed. The 81-DL-.22 I have is a tubular fed model. It holds (25) shorts, about (21) Longs and (18) LR bullets. Here's a few photos of it below:Attached File  1.jpg   13.72KB   8 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   11.71KB   8 downloadsAttached File  3.jpg   15.02KB   8 downloadsAttached File  4.jpg   15.58KB   9 downloadsAttached File  5.jpg   38.21KB   9 downloads The only thing I want to do to it is to figure out a way to get a mount that will screw into the existing taps where the T1 mount is and will allow me to get a larger tubed scope on this rifle. I may have to look into getting a custom one produced. I really like this .22 though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users