• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:38 PM

Do any of you know of a bullet manufacturer(s) who makes a lead free .44 cal bullet? I've been pouring through my various catalogs and haven't been able to find any. Thanks, Mc

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:34 PM

May the hunting Gods forgive me for showing a page with bullets made by,.............well, you know. Wait for them to stock the other brand coming soon.http://www.midwayusa...yword=lead free

#3 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:40 PM

Im pouring my own from tin. My first try was a complete bust. out of a pound of tin I got only 8 useable bullits. I think the mold was too cold. next try Ill heat the mold to 475 deg. and the tin to 700 deg. DR

#4 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:53 PM

Bisley- thanks for the link. Midway was the one catalog I hadn't looked at. I'm curious of those bullets listed on the Midway link, what would be your recommendation what is the one that is due too come out that you hinted about?Dangerranger- Tin? Interesting....What is the average weight of one of those tin bullets?

#5 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:32 PM

I was talking about the General Bullets. I do not know how they shoot, just so you know. But I would throw General Bullets by hand before I would be caught dead shooting barnes!!! Whether I'm :signs1180lq: or not, it still, always, needs to be said. I find it disturbing how some people will not buy products made in China, but they will still support THAT company?!

#6 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

Bisley- thanks for the link. Midway was the one catalog I hadn't looked at. I'm curious of those bullets listed on the Midway link, what would be your recommendation what is the one that is due too come out that you hinted about?Dangerranger- Tin? Interesting....What is the average weight of one of those tin bullets?

from a 250gr mold they dropped at just under 230gr. at 50yds they shot ok. next try Ill shooting a little further. I just tried them to see if Id get any barrel fouling. it was as clean as if Id shot jacketed bullits. I have now bought a 300 gr mold that uses gass checks. Im loading 45 colt, but 44 mag should be close [ just a little faster]. Ill let you know how they turn out. DR

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

Im pouring my own from tin.

Those wouldn't be legal because they aren't certified nonlead.http://www.dfg.ca.go...tifiedammo.html

#8 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

Those wouldn't be legal because they aren't certified nonlead.http://www.dfg.ca.go...tifiedammo.html

I wonder how hard the certification process is? when I spoke informally with a local game warden He said that I should carry with me the label from the tin showing it as lead free. just like carrying the label from the bullits I use for reloading. that puts a new kink in the works. DR

#9 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:19 PM

I dont know if it matters but the tin source is certified lead free. its from tin solder. DR

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:09 PM

The bullets have to be certified by the DFG to be legal. I'm sure it's an expensive proposition either way. If you have them certified or they fine you for them not being certified. Read that link I posted and at the bottom it says.

This certified list will be updated as new applications are received and approved.

#11 Dutchman

Dutchman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:41 AM

May the hunting Gods forgive me for showing a page with bullets made by,.............well, you know. Wait for them to stock the other brand coming soon.http://www.midwayusa...yword=lead free

For my 45 colt, I have some Buffalo Bore 225 grains, made by...you know, at a speed stated to be 1500fpsI got them for display, if I happen to be hunting with the game warden. I just feel SO DIRTY stuffing the chambers with anything other than lead...hell, even using a copper gas check feels a little kinky!

#12 Dutchman

Dutchman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:50 AM

I was talking about the General Bullets. I do not know how they shoot, just so you know. But I would throw General Bullets by hand before I would be caught dead shooting barnes!!! Whether I'm :1106: or not, it still, always, needs to be said. I find it disturbing how some people will not buy products made in China, but they will still support THAT company?!

Have Nosler or Hornady come out with competing designs as reloading components? I have some brass for my 300wsm sized/primed and ready to hand load when they do.

#13 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:28 AM

I have been reloading the Barnes 225 gr. XPB for the .44 Mag... I have been using Enforcer as they recommend on their website and it shoots pretty well... I don't have my notes here with me but I used the mid range load and it chronied at 1200 fps from my 4" barrel... the bullet is supposed to be an excellent penetrator

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users