Photo

Best LEAD FREE 22-250 & 6mm Varmint Loads?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:08 AM

What is your experience with:1. 40 gr. Nosler Lead FREE bullets - 22-250?2. 55 gr. Nosler Lead FREE bullets - 6mm Remington?I am heading to a "lead free zone" (I know all the political mumbo jumbo :two-cents:) and plan to have a few hundred of each for such occaisions or invitations to some cross fire parties in those controlled areas.I have been using H380 - 38 grs with my standard 40 gr. Noslers with great success in my bull barrelled Remington 700. Am I CRAZY :smiley-outta-here: to think that the LEAD FREE version will have the same success...but may group elswhere on the papaer at 100 yards?3. Finally gents....what about the Winchester 22LR Tin substitues...Tin....I guess this is the best they could come up with. I have no experience with these little 36 gr bullets except they are $#@$%^%^%&)* expensive.Many thanks for your time and council on LEAD FREE Noslers.

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:51 PM

What is your experience with:1. 40 gr. Nosler Lead FREE bullets - 22-250?

AWESOME ! One of several 22-250 loads consists of 36.5 grs of RL 15 with the 50 gr Nosler bal tip. We increased that to just 37 grs & stuffed it with the 40gr Lead free, resulting in AMAZING accuracy & one very messed up coyote with that load. It was BADCOYOTE's dad that did that btw.

I have been using H380 - 38 grs with my standard 40 gr. Noslers with great success in my bull barrelled Remington 700. Am I CRAZY to think that the LEAD FREE version will have the same success...but may group elswhere on the papaer at 100 yards?

Nope, not crazy at all... and yes, different bullets/loads can group elsewhere, but not always!With the load that I mentioned above, the 40 gr lead free hits in the exact same spot as the 50 gr bal tip at 100 yards. We were LUCKY, so it does happen. Besides, you are shooting a REMINGTON, so the odds of success will always be much easier. LOL :signs1180lq: Good LuckFrank

#3 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:37 PM

I had really good luck with the box of 80gr Hornady GMX I bought for the .243. Not so good luck with the 90gr Noslers. But, as I'm sure you know, each rifle is a beast unto it's own. Good luck.

#4 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:51 PM

3. Finally gents....what about the Winchester 22LR Tin substitues...Tin....I guess this is the best they could come up with. I have no experience with these little 36 gr bullets except they are $#@$%^%^%&)* expensive.Many thanks for your time and council on LEAD FREE Noslers.

So far the only lead free 22lrs Ive tried have been the Winchesters. Ive heard rumors about CCI lead free but have not seen any. heres a comparison I did awhile back using a Marlin 25.at 20 ydsPosted Imageat 40 ydsPosted Imageand at 60 ydsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagenotice the point of impact is higher, and that altho they are not target grade they will shoot.on ground squirrels I have quite a few more crawl aways. they act most like a FMJ, passing straight through. and I dont hear the POP when I make a good body hit. DRPS the bullits Ive gotten are only 27 grains. DR

#5 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:29 PM

:1106: OK...results are in on the Nosler 40 gr 224 LEAD FREE bullets.They shoot to the same spot as my 40 gr 224 LEAD bullets.Both were pushed by 38 grs of of H380.Phew...this is going to make it much easier for me to have the right stuff and not have to resight the Hawke scope on the Remmy 700. I hope to be approved/selected for next spring at Tejon Ranch. I am now dreaming of blasting varmints in my sleep instead of counting sheep.Whaooo :1106: I haven't been able to score any Nosler 6mm - 55 gr LEAD FREE bullets...but I have a plan for September

#6 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:34 AM

for the 6mm/243 I have been getting good groups using the 85gr Barnes TSX, my rifle likes it with 4831sc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users