• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 troutbum24

troutbum24

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Bow Hunting, Hunting in general, Fly Fishing, Spearfishing, mountain biking, surfing, geocaching, anything outside.

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

Went out with my wife to our spot, opening morning passed up a 18 inch wide 3X3, could have shot him at 40 yards, 25 vertically below me, and a 10 yard quartering away shot. I was trying to locate my wife on the radio so she could get a chance at him or his friend a small forky but had no success on that, he ended up walking right to her but spotted her first and took off. Really hard to pass up a shot like that but I set my sights on getting a 4x4 this year as I cant seem to get past 3X3 stage. ANyhow later on came across a ~19-20 inch 4X5 his 5th tine was a 6 inch hanger coming off his lieft side!! Really cool to see that as I have never seen it in the wild!! Anyhow he spotted me first and stared me down for 15-20 min as I hid behind a rock in a crouched position, finally he settled down and slowly walked to a line of timber with his buddy a full size 18 inch wide spork! Anyhow after he passed over a small ridgeline I began sneaking his way but never found him, I saw his tracks and thought I would try to cut him off, but I probably should have just stayed on his tracks.. oh well, learn something every time.... Got a few pics through a spotting scope though.Posted ImagePosted Image
Blaine

#2 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:45 AM

Pretty cool! Keep after it! I'll be up in X7a for rifle season...I find myself saying " geez I can't believe summers almost over" and seconds later I'm saying "I can't wait for Oct1st!"
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

#3 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Fishing, hunting, Football, playing backgammon,& music

Founder: Hunters Helping Hunters
    www.hhh-usa.org
    LM:NAHC
    mbr:TRCP

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

gerat buck hope you can get back up there and get him :1106:
Sportyg;Founder:HHHwww.hhh-usa.orgLM:NAHCMbr:TRCP

#4 troutbum24

troutbum24

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Bow Hunting, Hunting in general, Fly Fishing, Spearfishing, mountain biking, surfing, geocaching, anything outside.

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

Well, went out again for the weekend, Saturday morning around 6:20 AM I spotted him approx a mile away looking through my 20X spotting scope, all I could tell is that he had a lot of points and that he was near another doe. I couldnt confirm that it was the 4X5 but with a larger looking rack I decided I would go after him. I watched him for a bit until he dissapeared into a small group of trees underneath a cliff. So I set off scrambling across the granite landscape. After about an hour and a half later I arrived to a point where I had to stop due to the whole area still covered in shade or he would wind me. My plan was to sneak up on him from the top of the cliff and shoot downhill at him so after another hour of waiting the sun had warmed up the slopes to start blowing the wind back uphill. I slowly made my way over to the top of the cliff and looked down into the trees and he was not there, so I kept following the cliff until it eased up enough to where I could climb down and start making it to each tree patch to find the deer. About 30 min later he busted me from about 35 yards away, I was on my way to a patch of trees just below where he was actually bedded. He bedded underneath these 2 lonesome mountain hemlocks where I would have never thought to look. So dis-heartening, ohwell I learn something every time I go. Hopefully I will get back there before rifle season when the group of horse parckers makes it in. I am normally the only person archery hunting...besides my wife. Off for an evening hunt close to home.....
Blaine

#5 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:34 PM

You've earned him. Hope you get your prize. :signlol2iu:
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#6 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,651 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:37 PM

Hope you get him. Good luck.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#7 mac

mac

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:13 PM

soooo close! Get up there early and camp on the ridge for rifle season. I anxiously will be awaiting more updates from you and your quest for success!
Mac Daddy"Lock, Stock and Two Smokin' Barrels"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users