• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:24 PM

this is one built from parts. started as a 96 Mauser. Im still not sold on the barrel crown. A friend did it and then rebarreled his action. at first I was thinking about sending it out for polishing and blueing, but after seeing some of your cammo jobs I may be just as happy with a good krylon facelift! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagejust a question for those that have done it, do I paint it with the bolt in place? or with it out?or should I parkerize the bolt to dull it ? before I paint it Im going to shoot it alittle and maybe try a new crown. DR

#2 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:51 AM

Nice rifle dr I would not paint it but that's me.I think when I painted my rem 243 i took out the bolt and shoved a rag in where the bolt was.

#3 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:55 AM

The bolt on this one is polished stainless. what would you do to take the shine off? I do have some Oxpho Blue/ blacking. [ a black type of parkerising ] I could try that on the bolt. DR

#4 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:12 AM

I'd paint it in place. The Krylon holds up well and if you ever want to remove it, it's pretty easy to do. That is a sweet looking rig and an excellent, accurate caliber. Best of luck with her.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:18 AM

Paint stripper will take it out real easy and all you need is a dab of it on a rag.

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

I painted the bolt on my first Mauser project. Posted Image Posted ImageI reshaped and polished the bolt on my second Mauser projectPosted Image
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#7 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

Sweeeeeet job on the bolt Clamdaddy. I likie!!
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#8 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:28 PM

that camo job came out real nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users