• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lucy06

Lucy06

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Archery, Shooting, Snowboarding, Mountain Biking and Furums of Course.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

Hey guys! Hopefully the collective knowledge can help me out. A guy I work with bought a custom AR build last year and now he wants to sell it. He bought it used from a shop where the guy told him he only builds his rifles from top notch components and thus the hefty price tag. Well the guy I work with knows nothing about guns so if I told him that Fisher Price mad the best AR's on the market with a straight face and a couple of made up statistics I could sell him a water gun for $2,000 bucks. That's neither here nor there; where it leaves me now is that I don't know if the gun he bough for around $2400 is worth every penny the guy tried to convince him of or if he was taken for a fool. I am mostly concerned in the quality of the Upper and Lower because the gun itself looks like it is straight out of a video game with a giant scope, lasers, flashlight full picatinny forend, custom camo paint. (the paint looks really really good from the pics I saw. Anyone that put that much care into the paint may actually have pride in the parts...I hope). Sorry I am rambling, anyway all of that crap is coming off and the flip up sights are being restored. So the main parts are a GG& G Upper not sure of the barrel butt looks like an 18", Spikes Tactical lower, Vltor Custom Butt with extension and a wilson combat site chase (not sure what that even is)Probably not very many rounds through it either. My main concern is if this is this a high quality build in terms of Upper/Lower or is it a Pig in Lipstick and heels? How much would a decent offer be?

#2 Broncowilly

Broncowilly

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, collecting/restoring military vehicles and military firearms collecting.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

Not a pig but I doubt it would be worth $2400.00. Pictures would be good. And, if you are going to remove all the bells and whistles then why not just build your own for less than half that.

#3 Lucy06

Lucy06

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Archery, Shooting, Snowboarding, Mountain Biking and Furums of Course.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:32 PM

Ah good point but I should have given just a little more detail. The $2,400 is about what I think he said he paid but I have no intention of paying that much. As for the accessories, if the scope is a quality scope I have a varmint gun with a 24" barrel that I can put it on but I don't think that a Carbine with a 16" barrel needs a scope large enough to put a bullet in the lunar space module. So I guess I was going to play with the accessories just not on that gun. Basically I am tying to find out what level this combo is at. What does it stack up to RRA, Knights Daniel Defense? I'll try to get pics up if I can but the were sent via text so we'll see.

#4 Broncowilly

Broncowilly

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, collecting/restoring military vehicles and military firearms collecting.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:56 PM

GG&G makes good sights but I've never heard of "Spikes Tactical" so I can't say. There are a lot of companies making AR uppers and lowers these days. Most are okay but some are worthless.

#5 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

Found this:http://www.spikestac...new/z/index.php

#6 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:48 PM

If you want my advice, just build your own. You can build it how you want it, and much cheaper if you take your time and shop around a little.You can build a great AR for 1000 bucks. Dropping 2400 bucks on an AR is kinda silly in my opinion.

#7 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

I would see what it will cost to build exactly what YOU want. Then offer slightly less than that, either way you win.

#8 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

Spike's Tactical is very good equipment. However, for a LOT less that 2,400 you can build a super AR using a premium barrel. The barrel, and proper barrel assembly (there are a few assembly tricks) to a quality upper receiver is the key to fine accuracy.

#9 timmy

timmy

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, spending time with family

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:18 PM

Bottom line up front, $2400 is WAY overpriced. I understand GG&G to be better than average, Spike's Tactical, Vltor and Wilson to be much better than average. I have Spike's Tactical parts kits on two ARs. You are better off building your own or buying a complete rifle, IMO. Good Luck

#10 BillytheKid

BillytheKid

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:30 PM

These guys are right. building your own lower isnt difficult, especially if you get a decent drop in trigger group. Then search for sales on complete uppers, which will just pop on with two pins. I got my Bushmaster Predator 20" complete upper for $550.00.

#11 Lucy06

Lucy06

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I am trying to find out what kind of scope is on it. If it is a GOOD scope that I can use on my varmint rifle then I was thinking I would offer around $1,600. Do you think that is still too much? The gun already has the flip up iron sights which is what I would strip it down to for fun shooting. I have really thought about and wanted to building my own but I wouldn't know where to start. I am sure there is a list somewhere that has all of the parts I need to purchase to have an opperable gun but getting into what make a quality trigger group and things like that seem daunting. Also I have very little knowlege of the massive amount of companies that are making OLL's; I haven't even heard of 90% of them.

#12 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

It's really not that hard. Almost all stripped OLL's are good quality (a very few exceptions) and you can pick them up for a decent price. Buy a stock, lower parts kit with 2 stage trigger, upper, scope mount and optic and you are set. It's not that hard, if I can do it, anyone can do it!

#13 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:19 AM

It might be cheaper to purchase one of the ARs the ATF is smuggling into Mexico for the cartels!

#14 Broncowilly

Broncowilly

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:54 AM

:) :lol: :roflmao3[1]: :doh[1]:

#15 BillytheKid

BillytheKid

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:48 PM

Building your own will definitely be a learning experience, and you will be a much better rifleman for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users