• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lucy06

Lucy06

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Archery, Shooting, Snowboarding, Mountain Biking and Furums of Course.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

Hey guys! Hopefully the collective knowledge can help me out. A guy I work with bought a custom AR build last year and now he wants to sell it. He bought it used from a shop where the guy told him he only builds his rifles from top notch components and thus the hefty price tag. Well the guy I work with knows nothing about guns so if I told him that Fisher Price mad the best AR's on the market with a straight face and a couple of made up statistics I could sell him a water gun for $2,000 bucks. That's neither here nor there; where it leaves me now is that I don't know if the gun he bough for around $2400 is worth every penny the guy tried to convince him of or if he was taken for a fool. I am mostly concerned in the quality of the Upper and Lower because the gun itself looks like it is straight out of a video game with a giant scope, lasers, flashlight full picatinny forend, custom camo paint. (the paint looks really really good from the pics I saw. Anyone that put that much care into the paint may actually have pride in the parts...I hope). Sorry I am rambling, anyway all of that crap is coming off and the flip up sights are being restored. So the main parts are a GG& G Upper not sure of the barrel butt looks like an 18", Spikes Tactical lower, Vltor Custom Butt with extension and a wilson combat site chase (not sure what that even is)Probably not very many rounds through it either. My main concern is if this is this a high quality build in terms of Upper/Lower or is it a Pig in Lipstick and heels? How much would a decent offer be?

#2 Broncowilly

Broncowilly

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, collecting/restoring military vehicles and military firearms collecting.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

Not a pig but I doubt it would be worth $2400.00. Pictures would be good. And, if you are going to remove all the bells and whistles then why not just build your own for less than half that.
Now, don't try to get away! I am more muscular, more cunning, faster, and larger than you are, and I am a genius. Why you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten.

#3 Lucy06

Lucy06

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Archery, Shooting, Snowboarding, Mountain Biking and Furums of Course.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:32 PM

Ah good point but I should have given just a little more detail. The $2,400 is about what I think he said he paid but I have no intention of paying that much. As for the accessories, if the scope is a quality scope I have a varmint gun with a 24" barrel that I can put it on but I don't think that a Carbine with a 16" barrel needs a scope large enough to put a bullet in the lunar space module. So I guess I was going to play with the accessories just not on that gun. Basically I am tying to find out what level this combo is at. What does it stack up to RRA, Knights Daniel Defense? I'll try to get pics up if I can but the were sent via text so we'll see.

#4 Broncowilly

Broncowilly

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, collecting/restoring military vehicles and military firearms collecting.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:56 PM

GG&G makes good sights but I've never heard of "Spikes Tactical" so I can't say. There are a lot of companies making AR uppers and lowers these days. Most are okay but some are worthless.
Now, don't try to get away! I am more muscular, more cunning, faster, and larger than you are, and I am a genius. Why you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten.

#5 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

Found this:http://www.spikestac...new/z/index.php
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#6 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:48 PM

If you want my advice, just build your own. You can build it how you want it, and much cheaper if you take your time and shop around a little.You can build a great AR for 1000 bucks. Dropping 2400 bucks on an AR is kinda silly in my opinion.

#7 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

I would see what it will cost to build exactly what YOU want. Then offer slightly less than that, either way you win.
Don't be stupid

#8 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

Spike's Tactical is very good equipment. However, for a LOT less that 2,400 you can build a super AR using a premium barrel. The barrel, and proper barrel assembly (there are a few assembly tricks) to a quality upper receiver is the key to fine accuracy.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#9 timmy

timmy

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, spending time with family

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:18 PM

Bottom line up front, $2400 is WAY overpriced. I understand GG&G to be better than average, Spike's Tactical, Vltor and Wilson to be much better than average. I have Spike's Tactical parts kits on two ARs. You are better off building your own or buying a complete rifle, IMO. Good Luck

#10 BillytheKid

BillytheKid

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:30 PM

These guys are right. building your own lower isnt difficult, especially if you get a decent drop in trigger group. Then search for sales on complete uppers, which will just pop on with two pins. I got my Bushmaster Predator 20" complete upper for $550.00.

#11 Lucy06

Lucy06

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I am trying to find out what kind of scope is on it. If it is a GOOD scope that I can use on my varmint rifle then I was thinking I would offer around $1,600. Do you think that is still too much? The gun already has the flip up iron sights which is what I would strip it down to for fun shooting. I have really thought about and wanted to building my own but I wouldn't know where to start. I am sure there is a list somewhere that has all of the parts I need to purchase to have an opperable gun but getting into what make a quality trigger group and things like that seem daunting. Also I have very little knowlege of the massive amount of companies that are making OLL's; I haven't even heard of 90% of them.

#12 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

It's really not that hard. Almost all stripped OLL's are good quality (a very few exceptions) and you can pick them up for a decent price. Buy a stock, lower parts kit with 2 stage trigger, upper, scope mount and optic and you are set. It's not that hard, if I can do it, anyone can do it!

#13 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:19 AM

It might be cheaper to purchase one of the ARs the ATF is smuggling into Mexico for the cartels!

#14 Broncowilly

Broncowilly

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:54 AM

:) :lol: :roflmao3[1]: :doh[1]:

#15 BillytheKid

BillytheKid

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:48 PM

Building your own will definitely be a learning experience, and you will be a much better rifleman for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users