#1 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

While waiting for this crop of coyote pups to grow up, I decided to tinker with my gear and fix some minor annoyances. I'm hoping to swap some ideas for making it as easy as possible to use the e-caller remote. (Mine is FoxPro FX3 but this could apply to any of them.)The first thing I did was affix some small, clear vinyl bumps on the flat "keypad". This allows me to feel the buttons and work the send, mute, sound and volume functions without taking my eyes off the target zone. Nice at night, too.Next, (because we old guys hate small type) I printed my call sounds list in easy-to-read font (white letters on a black-shaded background); 16 sounds listed on each side of a two-sided card that fits in an old non-reflecting fishing license holder. That is zip-tied to a paracord strap that replaces the wrist strap and could clip to a neck lanyard... ...EXCEPT I realize that I hate lanyards! Too much clutter and CLATTER when I'm trying to be super quiet. Posted Image Posted ImageAll that brings me to my question: Has anyone experimented with ways to attach their remote to their person so that it is always in the same place while calling and not likely to be left behind in the dirt after the excitement of taking a predator?I am almost always sitting during stands - either on the ground or a stool - and I like to have the remote down low, near my lap and hopefully out of sight. I'm thinking about buying a cheap leg-drop holster (about $8 on Amazon) and adding a velcro pad to the back of my remote so I can stick/wear the remote on the top of my thigh. The mating velcro surface would be on the holster surface. Hopefully, that would allow me to find it, operate it and never drop it during any part of a stand. As an extra precaution, the remote could clip to a belt lanyard and slip inside the holster when I'm hiking. At least that's what I imagine. My overall goal is to modify the remote any way I can to eliminate unnecessary movements of my hands and head. I'd rather have my hand on my rifle than be fumbling with the remote. (BTW, the photo shows part of a paracord carry strap I wove for the FoxPro caller. I built-in four leg nooses, 2 on each end, so the strap could double as a game carrier sling.) Any suggestions, comments, wisecracks? Yeah, I know... I can already hear some of you. "Get a life!" "More hunting, less tinkering!" Others, however, might appreciate this for their own use.

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

I'd rather have my hand on my rifle than be fumbling with the remote.

mtn dog, I totally agree...The remote, &/or trying to reach for it with a coyote bearing down on the foxpro always drives me crazy. I normally want to shut the foxpro off once the coyote is under 150 yds, give or take or as the situation dictates. HOWEVER, sometimes I have to just let the e caller play as I am concerned that any movemet may scare the coyote off, especially if he is close. This normally is not a problem, but still irritates me whenever it is. I have no solution to this (so, thanks for nothing, eh?). LOLThe only thing I started doing was using lithium batterys in the e caller. It seems to turn the e caller on and off easier & the batterys last longer. Not sure what that has to do with making the remote any easier to handle though? LOLGood LuckFrank

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,804 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:19 PM

When attending the NASCAR races I use a radio scanner. I don't like to hold that danged thing the entire race so I use a leg strap. The scanner has a clip on back so it can easily attach to the leg strap. I believe this would be ideal for what you are talking about. http://www.getracere...ccessories3.htmHere is what mine looks like. It is elastic and has velcor on the strap so you can fasten it as tight or loose as you like. The second strap has a clear plastic piece that allows you to view the face of the scanner. It also has velcro on the end.Posted ImageWhen you put it on your leg with the scanner, using the clip on the scanner, you can then pull the plastic piece over the top of the scanner and fasten it with the velcro.Posted ImagePosted ImageI"ve been considering using this for my Minaska remote for the same reasons you mentioned.

#4 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:13 PM

Thanks, Frank and Braz, for two good suggestions. (Braz, I had you pegged for a strictly hand-calling guy!) :censored[1]:

#5 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,804 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

Obviously, I love the hand calls, but up where I call, at my cabin, there are so many lions that I am, frankly, afraid to hand call when alone. So, I use an electronic caller when calling alone. It's frightning to have a lion at 25 yards from you! I"ve had it happen. And there is so much brush that's it's impossible to see a long ways.

#6 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:51 PM

You are a wise man.

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:58 PM

Simple, cheap, easy to use, and will clip onto anything including, but no limited to, belt loops, rifle slings, existing lanyards, strings on your vest zippers, you name it!!! And I'm all but positive we ALL have these parts laying around the house somewhere..............Posted Image

#8 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:48 PM

I have velcro stuck on my remote and have a small patch that i safety-pin to my right leg similar to what Bisley did also have have a small piece pined to my left shoulder, i don't travel with it like that for obvious reasons, works for me.

#9 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:01 PM

I secure my remote on the shooting stick on the top near where the rifle rests, with one hand on the trigger, other hand on the remote, I can operate the remote and lift the stick at same time without too much movement, it works pretty good for me.

#10 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:59 PM

So, I use an electronic caller when calling alone

Yep, definitely a smart move... especially in lion &/or bear country.

#11 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:16 AM

in the touring section of motorcycle stores they sell map covers with velcro and elastic straps to hold maps onto your , forearm, thigh, gas tank, etc. the guy that got me hooked on preditor hunting puts his remote inside one and pushes the buttons through the plastic cover. Mtn Dogs little dots would be easier to feel. Also helps keep it clean and dry. DR

#12 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
    Other interests:

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:01 AM

Google found a forearm map case for $15 at this website if anyone wants to give that a try:http://www.aerostich...m-map-case.htmlGood stuff coming in on this thread. Thanks guys. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: More ideas?

#13 RoFin

RoFin

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling...Off-roading...Exploring

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

mtn dog...I agree with tinkering, it's part of the fun.Braz...do you think your leg strap would secure a remote that doesn't have a beltclip on the back?Bisley...I currently use pretty much what you show for sit down stands. I have included a 15" string/rope between the carabiner and the key ring. I attach the carabiner to my belt or vest which keeps me from leaving it behind. It still hits the ground a couple of times per stand.Yateswell...I sure like the idea of having the remote on the sticks to really reduce movement. How do you make the attachment?For standup shotgun stands I have the remote hanging from my vest at front pants pocket/left hand length. Walking, it's in my front pants pocket, on stand it's hanging at left hand length. Just let go to mount the shotgun. Shotgun muzzle is resting on the ground (rock or stick) as GC describes.BTW mtn dog, i think we are about done waiting for this years crop to grow up!

#14 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,804 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:27 PM

I sure do. The plastic shield that goes over the face has elastic and velcro on it, so you pull it over tight with the elastic and fasten it with the velcro. Now I don't know about trying to run down an animal but for normal moving about, it will be secure. But when moving to another stand, remove it to be on the safe side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users