• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

:653: Well, I've gone and done it. After a good amount of research and reviewing I made up my mind and I've ordered a Benjamin Marauder .22 air rifle. I know there are nicer air rifles out there and I would love to one day own one, but for now, with the budget I have, this going to be my first venture into the arena of PCP air rifles. I ordered the rifle, a hand pump (since I can't afford the tanks or compressors right now and I know it's going to be a workout to pump it up), some Leapers AccuShot 1" high scope rings, (2) extra .22 cal magazines and a Leapers 5th Gen 4-16x50AO scope (it has the illuminated Red/Green Mil-Dot reticle, Zero Lock/Reset and comes with a shade, lens caps and whatever other stuff typically comes with a scope). I already can't wait for it to arrive. Once I get it and get it set up, I'll try to take a photo or two and post it. I'll also need to go out and buy a sling for it since I won't want to carry it around all day without one. I've already got a great case for it so I won't need that. The only other thing I'll need to do is get some of that vinyl hose and make a depinger for it so that it will really quiet down. I am really looking forward to getting this! :smiley-sorry:

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:59 PM

Those are great guns I have one and love it.

#3 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:09 PM

Those are great guns I have one and love it.

ShooterJohn, it's good to know that there will be someone else with the same air rifle on this forum. If you don't mind, could I ask a few questions? My questions are as follows:1. Do you have any recommendations for brands/weights of pellets that work best in this particular air rifle? Or is it more a matter of just trial and error and testing pellets until one is found that works best at the velocity the gun is shooting at?2. Is there anything I should or should not do when setting it up?3. Have you used a depinger in your Marauder? And if a depinger is added before the 1 year warranty is up, does it void the warranty?4. Is there any other info I should know about or tips for the Marauder?Thanks for the help. :smiley-sorry:

#4 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, airguns, my family, hunting.

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:44 PM

I have a .22 M-Rod and I have done the depinger mod as well as tuned the gun and refinished the stock. My M-Rod loves JSB 18.1 pellets and works a lot better after tuneing and adjusting it then it did stock.Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:00 AM

CBR400RR, that is a really nice looking stock (and rifle). Did it take much to refinish the stock? And what type of scope is mounted on it? Do you use high scope rings to allow for the clip/magazine to insert? Also, what type of tuning did you do or have done to it that made it better to shoot? I've looked up some information on tuning these, but the only thing I had planned to do was to increase the velocity slightly. I've read over the entire manual 3 or 4 times (I downloaded it off the internet) and see where they talk about tuning for velocity and also for a couple of other things, but I figured I would only tune for velocity first. The last thing I want to do is get it appart, tune it for these other items they mention (other than velocity) and have it not work or malfunction because I don't know what I'm doing. I've read about people taking out springs and heating them in the oven, changing out pieces or boring out things and it sound like if someone didn't know what they were doing, they could quickly wreck a good gun. I've also wondered if there was a factory recommended pressure setting? I haven't seen it in the manual (other than that it can be filled from 2000 to 3000 PSI) and posts online vary quite a bit. I was figuring once I adjusted for velocity I would fill to around 2900 PSI. But I wanted to ask in case someone new what the factory recommended pressure fill was stock out of the box. I was thinking of trying it stock for now (other than velocity adjustment) and see how I like it. I don't think I will do any removing or inserting of things until the warranty is up so that I don't void it. I can't wait though, I should have it in a few more days. :cheers:

#6 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, airguns, my family, hunting.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:04 AM

It only took me a day to redo the stock to make it right hand instead of ambidextrous and I have a Bushnell Legend 5-15x40 Mil Dot scope with standard rings I believe. I tuned the gun for higher fill pressure and more power I have it shooting around 32fpe with JSB 18.1 if I remember correctly. The de pinger is a must as that twang is louder than the gun shot at least to me it was.

#7 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:56 PM

How exactly do you tune it for a higher air pressure? Is that the velocity that they talk about in the manual? The 5/64 hex wrench one? Whatever I do I just want to make sure it's an easy tune if I attempt it. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but I'm all for getting as much knowledge before attempting something rather than pulling something apart or tweaking it and then having a useless piece of junk after I'm done because I made a bunch of mistakes. CBR... maybe once I get it set up I can chrony at my house (I'll be using 14.3 CPHP) to see where it's at and then I can contact you and maybe set up a time to meet and learn how to tune it up? I would definitely like to shoot the heavier 18.1 grn pellets (eventually) to get the higher FPE for knockdown power. And I'd like to get the highest velocity I can that will still allow the pellets to be accurate at long distances (most shots around 50 yards but would like to shoot farther is possible). Then after that we can set up a day to test it out on the rabbits. :roflmao3[1]:

#8 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:03 PM

I tuned the gun for higher fill pressure and more power I have it shooting around 32fpe with JSB 18.1 if I remember correctly. The de pinger is a must as that twang is louder than the gun shot at least to me it was.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll probably do the de-pinger after I get it shooting good. I'm hoping I can tune mine to be as efficient and yours with as much energy with those pellets too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users