5 replies to this topic

#1 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:49 AM

I will post pics soon of my new toy. Just bought my first rifle with my C&R FFL at a local shop. A Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 .303 British rifle. Am setting it up to be a truck gun since it has the 22" barrel instead of the longer 25" barrel. Will be a lot of fun to start reloading for it as well. I am sure some others on here have the Enfields and would love to hear feedback on them. Was thinking of loading 150gr bullets in it.Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#2 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,082 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:59 AM

Nice I like those WW2 rifles I don't have one yet but would like to get one someday.

#3 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:57 AM

Hi Darren. I have been enjoying my C&R FFL too. It's fun to purchase the old rifles and give them some TLC. Here is a photo of an Ishpore Enfield in .308 caliber that I bought from an importer. It was covered in Cosmoline and slime when I got it but the bore was sweet.Posted ImageI took it apart, put the stock in the dishwasher and turned it on the hot & dry setting. The hot water and steam lifted all of the wood dings out of the stock as well as removed the Cosmoline. It turned out to be a beautiful Mohogany stock. I sanding and oil rub revealed the beauty of the wood. The metal was sanded down and sprayed with Dura Coat. So now she is pretty and an accurate shooter too. OH....and before reloading for your Enfield, it's a good idea to "slug" the barrel to determine its exact size. That way you can determine exactly what bullet size to purchase.Best of luck with your new WWII rifle. If I can help in any way, drop me a note.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#4 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

Your Ishi 308 is what inspired me. Mine doesn't have any Cosmoline. The bore was dark but the rifling still was sharp and I bought it for under $200 out the door. Now to build up my reloading data for it and to do a heavy duty cleaning of the rifle this evening.Might even have to Duracoat it soon as well!Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1

#5 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

So here is a pic. Have not seen models like this before. 21.5" barrel on it for an overall length of 42" The rear sight is up on the barrel as well, so I wonder if I can even mount a scope mount on this puppy. Curious if anyone else knows anything about this model. BU195xx is the serial number, 1944 is a marking on it as well as No4 Mk1 is on the receiver.Attached File  1.jpg   5.7KB   11 downloadsDarren

#6 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:45 PM

Here's my no 4 MK.1. All the part matches and comes with bayonet.Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users