• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:24 PM

Took the 17 HMR Contender carbine & pistol barrels to the Yolo Sportsmen's range for sight checking and practice today. Fired the regular Hornady 17 gr load and the Condor Country 15.5 gr non-lead load. Had about a .75" ten shot group with the 10" pistol barrel and about a .5" group with the 16" carbine barrel using the regular ammo while shooting at 50 yds. Groups went to about 4" with the NTX no lead load. The holes from the NTX stuff looked like some of them were tumbling. Looks like the squirrels in Condor country are fairly safe from my 17 HMR Contenders. :smiley-funny-post-sign: Has anyone else tried this stuff and what results did you get? It is disappointing to have these results with Hornady ammo. Guess I'll have to try some of the CCI 17 HMR TNT Green HP just in case. Has anyone tried the CCI Green 17 HMR?

#2 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:00 AM

I've had great results with the Hornady NTX 15.5 grain in both my CZ 452 American and Savage 93R17 BTVS thumbhole. It shoots about 1" to 1.25" groups at 100 yards in the Savage without wind. I've shot a couple ground squirrels with it at ranges from 50 to 65 yards and it's effective. A couple weeks ago, I was surprised to find my CZ 452 is capable of .65" to .75" 5-shot groups with the NTX at 100 yards. The 17 grain V-Max isn't bad but for some reason that rifle doesn't like the TNT Green, which sprayed all over the place. I haven't tested NTX at longer ranges but because it's is so light, I'd expect a heavier 17 or 20 grain bullet would have better ballistics out to 200 yards. CZ452 NTX .648" group at 100 yards. The black target dots are 1/2". Posted ImageHere's a ground squirrel I shot at 50 yards with my Savage and the NTX. Posted Image

#3 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:33 AM

I've had no problems. I was shooting the CCI TNT Hollow Points before and the TNT Green shoots so close to those that I didn't have to do a scope adjustment. I shoot a Savage. Each 17 HMR rifle seems to have an ammo preference. I lucked out I guess.

#4 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

out of my Marlin the NTXs shot better than the reguar Hornaday. but the CCI TNT Green and the CCI TNTs shoot best. the TNT greens had a point of impact almost exactly 1/4" higher than the TNTs. Like Jason I can switch between them with no scope changes. DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users