#1 Hound Dog

Hound Dog

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Hunting all types of game

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:45 AM

I just recently purchased the new AXIOM from HOWA.I am so impressed with the floating barrel.I was wondering if any of you have one or have shot one.I would just like to hear what you have to say about it..

#2 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

I don't have one and I've never shot one, but talking to a co-worker the other day, he was telling me how much he loves his Weatherby Vanguard in 30.06 and what a shooter it is. Same barreled action as your Howa I believe. What caliber is your rifle?

#3 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:17 PM

Heavy, Heavy Heavy... did I mention Heavy? I have a Howa 1500 in a heavy barrel, it doesent have the heavier Axiom stock. Its still tough to carry, However if you like it, thats all that matters. Buy what you like.. sell it later. Thats been my experience.. lol Good luck

#4 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

My buddy in Utah shoots one and likes it but when I was out there 2 years ago and he had a broken leg I had to carry his gear along with mine and let me tell you, It is a heave gun to carry around.

#5 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:25 PM

It is heavy. I've got a Howa 1500 heavy barrel stainless .308 varmint rifle in a Bell & Carlson stock. Great for sniping long range rested but wouldn't want to carry it in the field for long or shoot it much offhand. It's accurate though, .60 MOA with handloads. Nice rifle. Don't know about the Axiom stock.

#6 Hound Dog

Hound Dog

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:53 PM

I don't have one and I've never shot one, but talking to a co-worker the other day, he was telling me how much he loves his Weatherby Vanguard in 30.06 and what a shooter it is. Same barreled action as your Howa I believe. What caliber is your rifle?

it is a .223

Heavy, Heavy Heavy... did I mention Heavy? I have a Howa 1500 in a heavy barrel, it doesent have the heavier Axiom stock. Its still tough to carry, However if you like it, thats all that matters. Buy what you like.. sell it later. Thats been my experience.. lol Good luck

thanks....

My buddy in Utah shoots one and likes it but when I was out there 2 years ago and he had a broken leg I had to carry his gear along with mine and let me tell you, It is a heave gun to carry around.

I havent tryed to carry it yet..But i know it will be heavy...

It is heavy. I've got a Howa 1500 heavy barrel stainless .308 varmint rifle in a Bell & Carlson stock. Great for sniping long range rested but wouldn't want to carry it in the field for long or shoot it much offhand. It's accurate though, .60 MOA with handloads. Nice rifle. Don't know about the Axiom stock.

Its a cool stock..It is one of those adjustable type...Thanks for your input..

#7 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:30 PM

Just my opinion but the Axiom stock was designed to absorb the recoil of the larger calibers. With your .223, there isn't enough recoil to make a difference so it becomes nothing more than extra weight. I had one (22.250) for 4 months. After lugging it around chasing coyotes, I sold it and got a Savage Mod 10 Predator also in 22.250 and couldn't be happier but that's me. You might be one big stout man and be able to carry that all day. Like Ornery says, you can always sell it later. Happy shootin'.

#8 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:03 AM

I almost bought that stock for my Rem. 700, but when I handled one at a local store it was a little too flexible at the end. I was worried that off a bipod it would sag or flex too much. I love the way it looks, the weight wasn't too bad IMO but then again I was standing still in the store lol. I will say that the Knoxx stock on my 870 is where it's at for yote hunting with a scattergun.

#9 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:29 PM

Just my opinion but the Axiom stock was designed to absorb the recoil of the larger calibers. With your .223, there isn't enough recoil to make a difference so it becomes nothing more than extra weight.

Very true. If you need help absorbing the recoil of a .223, you probably shouldn't be shooting :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:I can see where the adjustable stock length would come in handy, but the recoil reducing scheme is just that, a scheme. Nice marketing gimmick, but why??? I have never understood the idea (or need) for a recoil reducing stock. First off, I don't EVER really even remember the recoil of a rifle (or shotgun or pistol for that matter) when shooting at game while hunting. A-D-R-E-N-A-L-I-N-E, the ultimate recoil reducer WHEN IT COUNT. And if you need a recoil tamer for just punching paper, buy a smaller caliber. The paper will be just as dead when hit with a lighter caliber. Let's face it, nobody buys a .338 RUM to "target practice". And if you can't deal with recoil of it while getting it dialed in, You either need to do one of two things, get the man-up speech I gave my nephew or (in my opinion) learn to place a smaller caliber that will still kill effectively but allow you to shoot it more so you can become very familiar with it. A rifle that scares you or need a "crutch" is the last thing a person needs. If it even begins to place doubt (or fear of recoil) in the back of your mind it is GAME OVER. Shooting (especially hunting) is as much or more a mental issue as a physical issue and the last thing you need is to use "aides" to make up for using too much gun.The free floating/lack of forend concept is great. Keep that and the adjustable stock, but throw away the heavy springs and such. That would make for a much more practical, versatile, lighter, usable firearm. In any caliber. :653:

#10 Hound Dog

Hound Dog

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

Thanks ...I am going to take it to the range this weekend...I will get back with you later...Hound Dog

#11 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:41 PM

But they look cool. ;)

#12 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:43 PM

The Howa 1500 heavy barreled action is the dirty little secrete of budget precision long range rifles. I own two of them. one each in .308 and .223. by sporter rifle standards these rifles are truck axle heavy. By heavy precision rifle standards these are light weights. Each one of these rifles is a honest half moa rig when I'm shooting my own hand loads. The axiom recoil reducing stock does indeed reduce recoil. The catch is a well designed brake not only does a better job but is cheaper than the price of the Knox stock. Other side of the coin there is no free lunch. Muzzle brakes are loud. I wear ear pro when I hunt ( electronic muffs) and double ear pro when I have to visit a public access square range so for me it's a wash. I would prefer a bell and Carlson stock and a good brake to the Axiom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users